thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 am 

Hi,
I have been having heaps of issues with missing sound device that happened around the same time my T30 had a virus, however i have completely erased my hard disk and reinstalled xp for t30 and im still having problems.

On one occasion in the past i did manage to get it going after downloading and reinstalling the soundmax drivers, but it stopped again after i rebooted ...soooooo annoying, defeat snapped from the hands of victory!

So i am wandering does anybody know how i can test to see if it is the sound device on the mobo that is at fault? I can't get anything to detect that it is there.....but then there seem to be plenty of others who have had there sound device go missing on various computers - but reinstalling the driver seems to fix and soundmax reappears!

Is it possible there might be an issue in Bios, or, i have upgraded to 2g ram and installed a 2ghz chip up from a 1.6 in the past months also, maybe this is causing me grief? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....i love my T30.

Alistair

P.s I have also been using a Pcmcia card to give me a leg up to usb 2.0 for my wd external hard drive - maybe there is something going wrong here?

Last edited by dreamkindling on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm 

Well,
It seems plenty have taken a look at this post, but none as yet have any answers. I just updated bios and that did not help. I think my next step is a new Motherboard or a second hand more likely!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Download this
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... 66956.html
It will find everything you need. The system OS must be winblows, and it must be up to date=.

Ron

X30 x 2
X31 x 2
T30 (down to one, the rest donated)
Z61t (my NEW primary)
Z61m (wife's new daily driver)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:01 pm 
RBS10000
RBS10000

He should have that SU already.
It was on the extra CD he got from me, together with dotnetfx.
Unless(!) he did not run them.

Check out The Board Room for:
- LED-mods for the 15" T60/R60/R61
- SATA-mods for any T43/R52 with ATI GPU
- other Services

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:05 am 

Thanks guys,
I think i did update everything from the discs, but i will check again. I just received a secondhand motherboard, so i will post again when the problem is cured.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:59 am 

I just swapped my hard drive into another T30 and it goes fine, i have sound ..so its not a software problem.

I used the Motherboard i got and put it into the T30 of which i swapped the hard drive into. It was dead prior to its rebirth, although it has issues. I dont really want to pull down my original as it's working fine, besides the sound, and that it doesn't charge batteries.

I'm thinking that a Pcmcia graphics card should relieve the problem, but then i was also thinking maybe motherboards can be repaired. If there is someone out there who knows these things i'd love to hear from you.

Cheers Alistair

P.s Awesome forum, thankyou again for those cds RBS