Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Missing : Soundmax integrated digital audio

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
dreamkindling

Missing : Soundmax integrated digital audio

#1 Post by dreamkindling » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 am

Hi,
I have been having heaps of issues with missing sound device that happened around the same time my T30 had a virus, however i have completely erased my hard disk and reinstalled xp for t30 and im still having problems.

On one occasion in the past i did manage to get it going after downloading and reinstalling the soundmax drivers, but it stopped again after i rebooted ...soooooo annoying, defeat snapped from the hands of victory!

So i am wandering does anybody know how i can test to see if it is the sound device on the mobo that is at fault? I can't get anything to detect that it is there.....but then there seem to be plenty of others who have had there sound device go missing on various computers - but reinstalling the driver seems to fix and soundmax reappears!

Is it possible there might be an issue in Bios, or, i have upgraded to 2g ram and installed a 2ghz chip up from a 1.6 in the past months also, maybe this is causing me grief? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....i love my T30.

Alistair

P.s I have also been using a Pcmcia card to give me a leg up to usb 2.0 for my wd external hard drive - maybe there is something going wrong here?
Last edited by dreamkindling on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreamkindling

Re: Missing Soundmax integrated digital audio

#2 Post by dreamkindling » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Well,
It seems plenty have taken a look at this post, but none as yet have any answers. I just updated bios and that did not help. I think my next step is a new Motherboard or a second hand more likely!

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Missing : Soundmax integrated digital audio

#3 Post by jronald » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Download this
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... 66956.html
It will find everything you need. The system OS must be winblows, and it must be up to date=.

Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:01 pm

He should have that SU already.
It was on the extra CD he got from me, together with dotnetfx.
Unless(!) he did not run them.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

dreamkindling

#5 Post by dreamkindling » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:05 am

Thanks guys,
I think i did update everything from the discs, but i will check again. I just received a secondhand motherboard, so i will post again when the problem is cured.

dreamkindling

#6 Post by dreamkindling » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:59 am

I just swapped my hard drive into another T30 and it goes fine, i have sound ..so its not a software problem.

I used the Motherboard i got and put it into the T30 of which i swapped the hard drive into. It was dead prior to its rebirth, although it has issues. I dont really want to pull down my original as it's working fine, besides the sound, and that it doesn't charge batteries.

I'm thinking that a Pcmcia graphics card should relieve the problem, but then i was also thinking maybe motherboards can be repaired. If there is someone out there who knows these things i'd love to hear from you.

Cheers Alistair

P.s Awesome forum, thankyou again for those cds RBS