Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

MP3 Player

Linux on ThinkPads
jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

MP3 Player

#1 Post by jronald » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:55 pm

I have given up on Rythmbox. Cant get it to reliably connect to an external HDD to save my life. Running uBunto 10.04. On Windoze I run MusicMatch Jukebox a few generations old, and love it. Whats out there easy!

Thanks
Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's

i-SnipeZ
Sophomore Member

Re: MP3 Player

#2 Post by i-SnipeZ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Try Amarok. It's built for KDE, but i've heard it works fine in gnome.
ThinkPad X200

Think Different

arabianights

#3 Post by arabianights » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:04 pm

jronald wrote:I have given up on Rythmbox. Cant get it to reliably connect to an external HDD to save my life. Running uBunto 10.04. On Windoze I run MusicMatch Jukebox a few generations old, and love it. Whats out there easy!

Thanks
Ron

i use VLC on my Thinkpad 23 XandrOS box. works great!

another option is MPlayer.

both of these players handle a wide variety of media formats and are open sourced. :banana:
Lenovo Thinkpad T60 1.83Ghz/2G RAM/80G HDD
WinXP/freebsd/Debian8 triple boot

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#4 Post by jronald » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:39 am

Im not asking for much!
Heck even Windblows media player works better than the 3 I have tried
Amarok, will not correctly read the MP3 files off of a USB HDD
Movie Player, will not load a batch of songs (Import Media)
Rhythmbox, will not load a batch of songs.

Songbird will do what I want in Windoze, but I cant find a copy of 10.04.
Im running a X30 at work off the free WiFi because everything is locked out on the company system. I use a portable HDD for carrying music, because the HDD on the X30 is only 10 gig.

Right now I have the HDD pluged into the doze machine and it works!

Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's

comps
Freshman Member

#5 Post by comps » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 pm

jronald wrote:Amarok, will not correctly read the MP3 files off of a USB HDD
If it's true, it's most likely not Amarok's fault. A correctly mounted USB HDD acts like any other directory. If both Amarok and Rhytmbox share the same problem, then it's most likely not their fault.

I'd take a look at permission issues, auto mount/umount scripts and such things. It might as well be a bug in some library used by both Amarok and Rhytmbox, consider updating your system if it's out-of-date.

Aside from the already-mentioned players, you might try Banshee, Clementine, older XMMS or any other you can find. There are tons of players. As for me, I got used to my custom-skinned MOC player, you might check it out, but it's probably not what a common Ubuntu user wants.

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#6 Post by jronald » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:43 pm

I DO NOT want to BUILD playlists. Either cut and paste, or like Songbird, import media and be done with it. Rhythm will play single songs off the HDD, but trying to import a file or cut and paste, you can forget about it.
In Musicmatch it is File, Open, double click and it plays the entire file, regardless of how many files are in the file. In this case about 1600 songs.

Ron

T400's and T500's

GomJabbar

#7 Post by GomJabbar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:58 pm

I haven't tried it yet, but some are finding Clementine useful. Mandriva is considering making Clementine it's default music player (as opposed to Amarok).

Switch from Amarok to Clementine on Mandriva 2011
DKB

comps
Freshman Member

#8 Post by comps » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:41 pm

jronald wrote:I DO NOT want to BUILD playlists. Either cut and paste, or like Songbird, import media and be done with it. Rhythm will play single songs off the HDD, but trying to import a file or cut and paste, you can forget about it.
In Musicmatch it is File, Open, double click and it plays the entire file, regardless of how many files are in the file. In this case about 1600 songs.

Ron
Please explain yourself, "regardless of how many files are in the file" or "to import a file or cut and paste" makes little sense to me. Are you referring to .m3u playlists? Or just "play everything in <that> directory" feature? I can't think of anything else. Copy&paste feature (ie. select files in a system file browser, control-c, select player window, control-v) might be useful, but I imagine it would need a lot of clipboard<->player interaction, not to mention dozens of file managers. Besides, that's called "building a playlist", ie. something you don't want.

If you are referring to auto-building a music library from a directory structure based on id3 tags, ... then I'm probably not the right person for the job.

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#9 Post by jronald » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:10 am

http://www.oldversion.com/MusicMatch-Jukebox.html
I use 7.2, seems like it does everything I need, without the bloat.

Once opened, you click on file
Click on open
Navigate to the file you want to play
Click play
If that file is a CD or album, it plays 12 or so songs.
If that file is My Music
It plays (my) 1600 songs
OR
Cut out a section of the 1600 songs, right click and hit play....that cut out section will play

On Songbird and Rhythmbox I have to add each song one at a time (Im not adding 1600 songs)
Amarok appears to add them, but then they will not play

Ron

T400's and T500's

comps
Freshman Member

#10 Post by comps » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:40 am

jronald wrote:Once opened, you click on file
Click on open
Navigate to the file you want to play
Click play
If that file is a CD or album, it plays 12 or so songs.
If that file is My Music
It plays (my) 1600 songs
Sounds like a windows-only path-based hack to determine if the directory is My Music. The CD thing might be easily possible, though I don't think any player supports that - simply because /dev/ managed with udev is dynamic, unless explicitly specified. That means /dev/sr0 might be something else on each reboot, so most players let you choose a drive by it's name.
jronald wrote:Cut out a section of the 1600 songs, right click and hit play....that cut out section will play

On Songbird and Rhythmbox I have to add each song one at a time (Im not adding 1600 songs)
Amarok appears to add them, but then they will not play
VLC on windows has two context menu options - Play and Enqueue. And they work. I'm not sure if they're available on Ubuntu as well.

If your habit of using Musicmatch Jukebox is too strong, you can run it via wine. I myself use ImgBurn that way, since there's no "advanced" free burning software available on linux.

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#11 Post by jronald » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:46 pm

Im running a X30 with a 1.1 and 384 memory, adding wine to run windoze is not a great way to fix the issue. Im not that interested in running MM Jukebox, I just want something as easy to use! Im not really asking for much, as MMJb was not particularly an outstanding piece of work!
Researching Clementine now.

Ron

T400's and T500's

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#12 Post by jronald » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:00 pm

Clementine may be it. Fiddling with it now.

Ron

T400's and T500's

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#13 Post by jronald » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:17 am

Ok Clementine, appears to build playlists automagically. Thats ok since figured out the clear all button. It works with my set up, and I think its the one!

Ron

T400's and T500's

GomJabbar

#14 Post by GomJabbar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Glad to hear you are finding something that is working for you. :)
DKB

Return to “Linux Questions”