Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Wine crashes

Linux on ThinkPads
ijoju

Wine crashes

#1 Post by ijoju » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm running Linux Mint 10 on a T23 and whenever I try to run an exe with Wine it crashes and the system restarts. This also happens when I run Notepad that came with it. Same thing with Ubuntu 10.10. Could it be a resource issue?
ThinkPad T23-2648-4PU : Windows XP Home 1GB 30GB HD CD-RW/DVD

rumbero

Re: Wine crashes

#2 Post by rumbero » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:13 pm

This is for sure no Thinkpad specific issue, and i'd suggest to look elsewhere (see below).

As you provide next to no information about any actual error message, the version of Wine you use, and the hardware context of your T23, there is no way for anybody to even only start some basic troubleshooting which would be beyond pure guessing. The quality of the input usually defines the quality of the output.

Please kindly check out the Wine support resources at www.winehq.org/help for more suitable guidance, keeping in mind to provide some actual information to the fine people trying to lend you a hand.
A few 14.1" and 15" T61+ Frankenpads and one T480

ijoju

#3 Post by ijoju » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:33 pm

rumbero wrote:This is for sure no Thinkpad specific issue, and i'd suggest to look elsewhere (see below).

As you provide next to no information about any actual error message, the version of Wine you use, and the hardware context of your T23, there is no way for anybody to even only start some basic troubleshooting which would be beyond pure guessing. The quality of the input usually defines the quality of the output.

Please kindly check out the Wine support resources at www.winehq.org/help for more suitable guidance, keeping in mind to provide some actual information to the fine people trying to lend you a hand.

There is no error message. As I've said it crashes and restarts the system. The hardware is in my signature but if you didn't see it I have a T23-2647. I'm running Linux Mint 10 Julia with 1GB RAM and a 30GB hard drive.

comps
Freshman Member

#4 Post by comps » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:47 pm

What's your kernel version and wine version? What app are you trying to run via wine? If it's a 3D one, what's your Xserver driver (and it's version), libdrm version, mesa version, ...? Is there anything interesting in /var/log/messages (or it's backups, ie. /var/log/messages.1.gz) or /var/log/debug? Be more verbose, not everyone use Mint/Ubuntu or your (possibly not updated) package versions.

There are some Intel GPU hangup bugs in the current 2.6.38 kernel, but those can be triggered *only* via video playback (ie. mplayer, vlc, ...) under certain circumstances, however I had a GPU memory corruption cased by wine a few days ago, the issue is most likely related to the intel 2.14 X.org driver and/or the 2.6.38 kernel. Since Ubuntu 11.04 alphas uses those, there's a chance to get similar corruptions. But that's something you have to expect from an alpha release.

Describe your problem more ... verbosely. If it's a 3D application, it might run fine for a few seconds/minutes and then reboot the computer, in which case I would recommend cleaning the cooling system.

Overall - there's a very low chance for a linux system to "just reboot" itself. If there's a fatal kernel error / bug, you will most likely get dropped to a kernel VGA console with traceback (error report), so my best guess is hardware issue.

ijoju

#5 Post by ijoju » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 am

I'm running Linux Mint so it's using the Ubuntu 10.10 kernel. I'm not running anything with graphics. It's just been the notepad that came with Wine and trying to run the Acrobat install exe.

My Wine version is 1.2.2-0ubuntu2~maverick2. It came bundled with Linux Mint.

As for the var/log/message I'll run it again when I get home and see what pops up.

Edit: Just ran notepad. It rebooted and I checked the var/log/messages

I assume rsyslogd is when I log in.
I noticed a line that says: imklog 4.2.0, log source = /proc/kmsg started
that was logged at the time I ran notepad.

comps
Freshman Member

#6 Post by comps » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:36 am

Turns out that the issue is relevant for me as well, since the debian squeeze->wheezy/sid update.

The X server simply segfault-ed. At first, I thought it's an intel driver issue (2.13.0+xx -> 2.14.0 update), but it happens with the radeon driver as well. I've managed to create a somewhat usable backtrace using corefiles, but it looks like the issue has already been "resolved" (as in "there's a patch-fix for it"), but something makes the Xorg developers ignore the bug report filed on 2011-02-19 - https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34474 .
There's also a bugreport entry in the debian-linux bugzilla, without replies.

So there's a trivial patch for it, but it doesn't seem to attract much attention. Maybe it's going to be included in the next Xorg release and it's just kept untouched until then. Maybe somebody needs to "bump" that bug / try the proposed patch first.

Well, ... at least it's not really related to wine.

Return to “Linux Questions”