Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo 3000 C100 - Recovery Issue

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
rohrich

Lenovo 3000 C100 - Recovery Issue

#1 Post by rohrich » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:23 am

I have an issue with my father in-laws laptop.

Lenovo 3000 C100 - Windows XP home

He did not burn the rescue cd/dvd.

He went into the rescue and recovery and did a windows recovery...

The system is now hung in at a Lenovo care screen in that process when it boots.
The shell/taskbar will not load, but I can start task manager and start most programs via the run option.

Can someone help me with what the Rescue and Recovery programs and start options are needed to start the burning of the restore cd/dvd's?

I have tried the F11/Lenovo button on boot to do a restore, but the system will not allow me to login as it says the client security system is not setup and I can't figure out a password.

Any help to burn the rescue discs or get out of the stuck state would be appreciated.

Thanks

rohrich

Re: Lenovo 3000 C100 - Recovery Issue

#2 Post by rohrich » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:42 am

Can someone help with what the executable path of the step 1 item?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-70804

Step One

To create your recovery media simply click Start, All Programs and look for the Lenovo Care (on Lenovo 3000 systems) or Thinkvantage (on Think series products).

----> Create Recovery Media Menu <-----

Then click on the Create Recovery media icon.

What is the path to this program?

lenuser37

#3 Post by lenuser37 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi
I also have a recovery problem with a Lenovo 3000 C100.
I tried to talk to tech support but they can't talk to me because machine is out of warranty.
Anyway machine was working but strange glitches happening so decided to try to do a recovery to factory state.
the recovery partition wouldn't boot so I purchased the CD recovery disk set from Lenovo (8 cd's , one is bootable) about $50.

the recovery process seemed to work, says it reformatted the HD etc, loaded up all CD's, then got to the end of the process and said simply "recovery failed", no clue as to what or why. Now stuck in the lenovo recovery program.

I have tried the whole process multiple times, and get same result, looks like it is working till very end and then just says "failed".

Obviously this machine is old and not worth much, so don't want to spend big $$$ to get it up and running again.
So if anyone has any ideas on what i might try, I would greatly appreciate the help.

So far I have found a Lenovo Business partner willing to look at it for $105 per hour :)
thanks in advance
Wayne

nffc2010

#4 Post by nffc2010 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:39 pm

you can only burn the discs from a working Windows environment. if you can beg or borrow an oem xp disc install xp then install System Update 3.14 - let it update the drivers then install Rescue & Recovery. you'll then be able to burn the discs for future use. i have a set of C100 recovery discs but you can download everything you need here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... idate=true
rohrich wrote:I have an issue with my father in-laws laptop.

Lenovo 3000 C100 - Windows XP home

He did not burn the rescue cd/dvd.

He went into the rescue and recovery and did a windows recovery...

The system is now hung in at a Lenovo care screen in that process when it boots.
The shell/taskbar will not load, but I can start task manager and start most programs via the run option.

Can someone help me with what the Rescue and Recovery programs and start options are needed to start the burning of the restore cd/dvd's?

I have tried the F11/Lenovo button on boot to do a restore, but the system will not allow me to login as it says the client security system is not setup and I can't figure out a password.

Any help to burn the rescue discs or get out of the stuck state would be appreciated.

Thanks

nffc2010

#5 Post by nffc2010 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:43 pm

are you starting with a blank hard drive? use dban or active@killdisk (both free!) to wipe the drive - you can stop the wipe at 5% as you only need to destroy any existing partitions.
lenuser37 wrote:Hi
I also have a recovery problem with a Lenovo 3000 C100.
I tried to talk to tech support but they can't talk to me because machine is out of warranty.
Anyway machine was working but strange glitches happening so decided to try to do a recovery to factory state.
the recovery partition wouldn't boot so I purchased the CD recovery disk set from Lenovo (8 cd's , one is bootable) about $50.

the recovery process seemed to work, says it reformatted the HD etc, loaded up all CD's, then got to the end of the process and said simply "recovery failed", no clue as to what or why. Now stuck in the lenovo recovery program.

I have tried the whole process multiple times, and get same result, looks like it is working till very end and then just says "failed".

Obviously this machine is old and not worth much, so don't want to spend big $$$ to get it up and running again.
So if anyone has any ideas on what i might try, I would greatly appreciate the help.

So far I have found a Lenovo Business partner willing to look at it for $105 per hour :)
thanks in advance
Wayne