Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T-pad Resc & Recov back up file - work on non-Tpad computer?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
junkeeroo

T-pad Resc & Recov back up file - work on non-Tpad computer?

#1 Post by junkeeroo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi All,

I'm just about to create a recovery file (on an external hard drive..and, yes, i'll get one more back up made too!), but I'm wondering...if I use the Thinkpad rescue and recovery software, will the recovery file later work on another non-Thinkpad laptop if I choose to change brands down the road?

This is from Lenovo's download site:

"The Rescue and Recovery 4.3 program might also work with other systems that meet
the system requirements. However, no testing has been done with other systems
and no support is provided for using the Rescue and Recovery program installed on any
system other than the listed supported systems listed above."

Also, is there any major difference between using the Rescue and Recovery or the back up software that comes with my Seagate external drive?

Thanks in advance!

Q-Ball
Sophomore Member

Re: T-pad Resc & Recov back up file - work on non-Tpad computer?

#2 Post by Q-Ball » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 am

Maybe it would work, but what would be the point of that?
It's usually better to use the recovery media that came with the computer itself: and in the case of Dell or HP it's usually a good idea to do a clean Windows install anyways (that is, if you aren't looking at a business notebook that is) to get rid of the pre-installed stuff.

Also, yes, there's quite a difference. If you're using Rescue and Recovery it's basically installing the Lenovo image of Windows 7 and all the original utilities and drivers onto whatever drive is in the ThinkPad at the time.

R&R is NOT a backup- that's why you use the Lenovo backup manager, Windows Backup, or the Seagate utility.
W520 (i7-2720M, Quadro 1000M), T41, 600E

junkeeroo

Re: T-pad Resc & Recov back up file - work on non-Tpad computer?

#3 Post by junkeeroo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:07 am

Q-Ball wrote:Maybe it would work, but what would be the point of that?
It's usually better to use the recovery media that came with the computer itself: and in the case of Dell or HP it's usually a good idea to do a clean Windows install anyways (that is, if you aren't looking at a business notebook that is) to get rid of the pre-installed stuff.

Also, yes, there's quite a difference. If you're using Rescue and Recovery it's basically installing the Lenovo image of Windows 7 and all the original utilities and drivers onto whatever drive is in the ThinkPad at the time.

R&R is NOT a backup- that's why you use the Lenovo backup manager, Windows Backup, or the Seagate utility.
Thanks.

I've been informed that someone with an X series tried to run their R & R on their new Tpad and it failed.

I now get the logistics of the whole deal...a recovery disc would not work on other systems because they have different drivers...duh.

Ok, cheers again.