Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Official eBay Bidding and Buying Thread

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
lilserenity

#31 Post by lilserenity » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:37 pm

csv96 wrote:What's the seller's ebay id?

He's probably just scheduled the auctions to auto-start. Sadly, not all sellers sit in front of their computers waiting to email their buyer the moment the auction closes. :wink:
Oh right never knew auto starting auctions was possible and I full well understand the ebayer won't be sat there waiting for the auction to end most of the time (I was once, but then the sale of my 570E at the time was also my way of paying my rent at the time :shock:, thankfully, somehow I made £330 which left me with £40 to spare after the rent).

Anyway they have got back to me; the website is:

http://www.ebuysuperstore.com

And this is the baby...

http://www.ebuysuperstore.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=39

The only thing that annoys me I darn well stuck my Windows XP COA sticker to this T23; on the understanding it would be getting a transplant from a SXGA+ T22... Still - thats the one, and I have their wire details now they emailed me, spoke to them on the phone.

eBay id is premier-pc-auctions

Vicky
- ThinkPad T40 w/Ubuntu Feisty and PowerBook 1400 ;)

- Read my blog: http://www.lilserenity.com

trilogy

New User - Bought laptop on ebay

#32 Post by trilogy » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:16 am

Hello all.

I'm new to the thinkpad community, and i just found this thread - AFTER i bought a t40p on ebay. It was shipped 2-day and i should be recieving it on thursday.

Just wanted some opinions on the deal i got, i did a buy it now for $1750, still 2 years left on the warranty, and with a gig of ram i thought this was a pretty decent deal. I dont mind the 40 gig HD as i have a 60 gig waiting at my house, it just needs a home. I also didnt mind that the wifi was only a/b because i have an extra g card too.

Opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

Thanks!

csv96

#33 Post by csv96 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:03 pm

It's a pretty good deal. You definitely didn't overpay. Let us know how it turns out.
Thinkpad X200s w/ Ultrabase
C2D SL9600 / 8GB / 160GB X25-M G2 / BD MULTI / 12.1" WXGA / INTEL 4500MHD / INTEL 5150 / BT / AT&T WWAN / W7

jet

#34 Post by jet » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:34 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT

how much you think i should be bidding max for the first one? and is the second one worth £45?

Thrasher

Warning! This guy might be a rip-off.

#35 Post by Thrasher » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:40 am

I saw this guy's add on ebay last week under a different username of "roxalottle". The username had no feedback on electronic items, alhtough he/she had a ton to auction off. Then all of his auction items disappeared before the time was even up. Now I see the same items again under a different username of "sundancer001reisen".

Search T41p and to see. Or click this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 18776&rd=1

Mike

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Warning! This guy might be a rip-off.

#36 Post by JHEM » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:05 am

Thrasher wrote:Search T41p and to see. Or click this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 18776&rd=1
FRAUD! Plain and simple! That's a stolen eBay account, guaranteed.

Those photos are Bill's! Stolen from one of his auctions. That's a nice view of the interior of his house and that's one of his birds sitting on the stack of boxes.

Regards,

James
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#37 Post by BillMorrow » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:18 am

james..

thanks for the heads-up..!

that auction is already taken down at the uk ebay site..

thought the scammer in the uk had given up using that photo..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

dcdomain
Freshman Member

#38 Post by dcdomain » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:07 pm

I'm going to be bidding on one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Looks like he has good ratings, the last few drives he sold went for around $50 - $75.

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#39 Post by JHEM » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:37 pm

Darren,
dcdomain wrote:Looks like he has good ratings, the last few drives he sold went for around $50 - $75.
Just be careful. He describes all of the drives he's offering as Combo II, but some of them are Combo I, check the photos.

The difference is 24X speed vs. 16X speed.

Regards,

James
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

dcdomain
Freshman Member

#40 Post by dcdomain » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:37 am

Thanks James,

I ended up winning an auction on a *new* combo drive II from another seller.

syhead
Sophomore Member

#41 Post by syhead » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:58 am

This topic is a great idea. Here's my contribution:

I've posted a question in the T series forum asking about what to expect from a "recertified" T42. Should I expect a shinning brand new TP or a noticeably used machine? The answers I got in this forum are not very encouraging. People simply said: "it's a refurbished." Nothing else.

The seller's description indicated that I should expect a brand new computer:

"These remanufactured products are sold by IBM with a W-Claim classification, which means that they are in brand new condition. These are brand new items which were either, (A) shipped to an IBM reseller or end user and then returned unused, or (B) a custom ordered configuration which was cancelled or (C) brand new odd lot or overstocked inventory. They are carefully tested and recertified as new by IBM and come in a IBM factory sealed box. Computers include the original factory software load including OS and have a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA). They come complete with all original accessories and documentation and have an IBM Factory Domestic and International Warranty. ThinkPads have an IBM One Year EasyServ Warranty, Intellistations and desktop computers have an IBM one year On-Site Warranty next business day, and monitors have an IBM One Year advanced replacement warranty."

Yes, it comes with a 1-year warranty. I guess I can purchase more warranty from IBM (2 more years maybe).

Anyway, I ordered the machine and I'll let you guys know whether or not my machine has any wear once I get it. I ordered it on Wednesday and they shipped it on Thursday.

here's the ebay store:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1Q ... propertyZ1

By the way: did I get a good deal? Here's what I got:

US$1,449.00 + $60 for shipping from NY to Canada
Model Name: 2378FVU
Part Number: 2378XXQ

Upgraded Specifications:

P M 735 1.7GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HDD, 14.1 SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 64MB ATI Radeon 9600, 24x24x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD, Intel 802.11b/g wireless(MPCI), Modem(CDC), 1Gb Ethernet(LOM), UltraNav, Secure Chip, 6 cell Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro
Current: X200, X40
Past: T42, 600E

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

eBay Seller Alert!

#42 Post by JHEM » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:23 am

Much as I hate to speak ill of anyone, I would be remiss to not share the following.

eBay seller "computercatdawg" who maintains the eBay Store "USED COMPUTER ATTIC" is selling a number of Thinkpad 1.6GHz A31p laptops for what appears to be a very reasonable $725: http://stores.ebay.com/USED-COMPUTER-AT ... ayZ2QQtZkm

However, these are NOT an A31p but a plain vanilla 2653-AUU A31 with a 14.1" XGA display and not the 15" UXGA-IPS Flexview display of the real A31p.

I've contacted the seller twice about this matter and have been told, basically, to mind my own business and the listing is correct.

Just a heads-up for anyone considering one of these units, or indeed anything else from this seller.

Regards,

James

carbon_unit
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#43 Post by carbon_unit » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:13 am

In all fairness I have dealt with "computercatdawg" myself.
I bought a pair of 570 floppy drives from her but when they got here they were 560 floppy drives and would not fit in a 570 ultrabase.
I notified her of the situation and she immediately apologized and overnighted me a pair of 570 floppy drives and told me to keep the 560 drives. So she took care of me to my satisfaction.
Now I have a pair of 560 floppy drives laying around. :?

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#44 Post by JHEM » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:09 pm

JHEM wrote:Darren,
dcdomain wrote:Looks like he has good ratings, the last few drives he sold went for around $50 - $75.
Just be careful. He describes all of the drives he's offering as Combo II, but some of them are Combo I, check the photos
For the record, I've contacted the referenced seller and he corrected the listings for the affected drives.

He was very reasonable and pleasant about the matter.

Regards,

James

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

eBay Seller Alert Update

#45 Post by JHEM » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:29 pm

carbon_unit wrote:In all fairness I have dealt with "computercatdawg" myself.
I've never purchased anything from them. For the record, I've contacted the seller again today (third time!) asking that they correct the subject listings and once again pointed them to the correct IBM URL for the items offered: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... y=2653-AUU

The IBM URL they show in the listing is to a "generic" page describing BOTH the A31 and A31p: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-41638 and is confusing, to say the least. On the listing page they state that these are a "special build by IBM" something that was also stated in their one (and only) reply to me. I took great pains to explain in my reply that there is nothing "special" about these machines other than the fact that they're educational models.

I've specifically explained (again) that without the 15" UXGA-IPS Flexview display and the ATI Mobility FireGL7800 video chip these are simply A31s and not an A31p.

I'll let you all know whether or not I hear from them.

Regards,

James

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: eBay Seller Alert Update

#46 Post by JHEM » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:23 pm

JHEM wrote:I've specifically explained (again) that without the 15" UXGA-IPS Flexview display and the ATI Mobility FireGL7800 video chip these are simply A31s and not an A31p.

I have heard back from the seller. For the record, here is the message I sent them:
JHEM wrote:Yes, it's me again! I continue to wonder why you would jeopardize your 99.7% positive feedback rating by stubbornly refusing to correct the listings for these A31s that you're offering. They are NOT an A31p, no matter how often you attempt to claim they are. They're educational units and there's nothing otherwise "special" about them, regardless of what you might think. You should change the URL describing the machines to: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... y=2653-AUU which is the correct page for the model you're offering. For the record, ALL A31p machines have the 15" UXGA-IPS Flexview display with NO exceptions! If these machines don't have that display, and they don't, then they're simply A31s.
Here's what I received in their reply:
computercatdawg wrote:The laptop has an A31p logo and was purchased directly from IBM as an A31P. Not all A31's have a 15 inch screen. We are not misrepresenting the laptop in any way.
They don't appear to "get" it! Or, is it me?

Regards,

James

tselling
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Re: eBay Seller Alert Update

#47 Post by tselling » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:46 pm

I bought the same model (2653AUU) from another vendor on Ebay but they marketed it as an A31 Thinkpad. But it had A31p on the display. I wound up returning the unit because they claimed it had warranty but serial# sticker was removed and some generic sticker was on it and there was no serial# in the bios. I also mentioned that the display had an A31p label on it instead of A31. They said the units they had come direct from IBM that way. Anyway they sent me a replacement unit (with original serial# sticker intact and with warranty) and it too had A31p on the display. Both units also had the bluetooth indicator/button but they do not have bluetooth. I am thinking that maybe IBM goofed on the 2653AUU models and put the wrong label on them. If so I can see why the vendor advertises as an A31p since thats what the laptop has on it.

JHEM wrote:
carbon_unit wrote:In all fairness I have dealt with "computercatdawg" myself.
I've never purchased anything from them. For the record, I've contacted the seller again today (third time!) asking that they correct the subject listings and once again pointed them to the correct IBM URL for the items offered: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... y=2653-AUU

The IBM URL they show in the listing is to a "generic" page describing BOTH the A31 and A31p: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-41638 and is confusing, to say the least. On the listing page they state that these are a "special build by IBM" something that was also stated in their one (and only) reply to me. I took great pains to explain in my reply that there is nothing "special" about these machines other than the fact that they're educational models.

I've specifically explained (again) that without the 15" UXGA-IPS Flexview display and the ATI Mobility FireGL7800 video chip these are simply A31s and not an A31p.

Regards,

James
T61P 2.2ghz 4GB 7K200GB 15.4" WSXGA+ Vista 64
HP 2530p L7400 1.86Ghz 3GB 160GB Windows 7 Pro 64
(Hubby) HP 2510p U7500 1.06Ghz 2GB 5K120GB 12" LED WXGA XP Pro
(4 year old son) Toughbook CF-29 1.3Ghz 1.2GB 5K250GB 13.3" XGA XP Pro

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#48 Post by BillMorrow » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:22 am

~~~Mark Twain~~~

tselling
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#49 Post by tselling » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:00 am

Yes, and I always look up part numbers before buying to be sure what I am getting. The one I bought was only $436 with about 7 months warranty remaining so not a bad deal for that model. But the 2 2653AUU units I have seen have A31p on the display label. So that Ebay vendor may just be going from that if all the 2653AUU models were mislabeled by IBM.
morrow wrote:it is an A31..!
NOT an A31p..
http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/products.nsf/ ... p/_2653AUU
:)
T61P 2.2ghz 4GB 7K200GB 15.4" WSXGA+ Vista 64
HP 2530p L7400 1.86Ghz 3GB 160GB Windows 7 Pro 64
(Hubby) HP 2510p U7500 1.06Ghz 2GB 5K120GB 12" LED WXGA XP Pro
(4 year old son) Toughbook CF-29 1.3Ghz 1.2GB 5K250GB 13.3" XGA XP Pro

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#50 Post by JHEM » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:06 am

morrow wrote:it is an A31..!
NOT an A31p..
http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/products.nsf/ ... p/_2653AUU
:)
Yep, that's the same URL I sent them so they could lookup the machine's provenance.

They stubbornly refuse to make any changes to their listings and continue to offer them as an A31p. I'm at a loss as to whether to continue attempting to correct them or not.

But, like you Bill, these type of misleading listings tend to raise my ire. Although, in this instance, it could be an honest mistake.

Regards,

James

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#51 Post by BillMorrow » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:50 am

don't WASTE your time..
just list the name of the vendor..

FWIW, even ibm was calling these an A31p at one time when they were selling them on ebay..
it IS totally misleading and if i got stung by that misrepresentation i would demand a refund..
pure and simple, the A31p models all had 1200x1600 displays and 64meg graphics memory..
without that it is an A31..
(which is still a VERY nice thinkpad but not what the buyer paid to get..

~~~Mark Twain~~~

malachont
User with bad email address, PLEASE fix!

umm....

#52 Post by malachont » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:40 am

Is anyone still interested in buying a **Genuine** A31p?
2653-R6G/2GHZ/80GB/512MB/Wireless/Bluetooth/CDRW...?

had it on ebay and had a bogus offer (they didn't follow it up) so I removed it after a time

(approx 2.5 years of IBM warranty left, etc.)

I'm actually interested in getting a still in warranty T40/T42 instead. (my back..!) so trades considered also, if there is reasonably secure mutual verification (probably within reach of Toronto that is...)

if so, holler..

ian-cameron

#53 Post by ian-cameron » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:19 am

I read about someone sharing their story of being outbid at the last moment on Ebay and how annoyed they were.

There's a bricks and mortar auction house in Australia who now has an online presence and they overcame that "problem" by having a feature that means an auction doesn't end until the end of the auction or 10 minutes after the last bid, which ever is the latest.

So if an Auction closes at 12 noon and someone bids at 11.59 then the auction's new closing time is 12.09pm then if some bids at 12.05pm then the auction doesn't end till 12.15pm etc etc.

Stops gazumping of the auction buy a last millisecond bid.

Since you're only buying off them. You need to input your credit card details at the time of registration and so they don't have any non paying bidders.

It would be nice if Ebay implemented the anti-gazumping feature.

Ebay Australia they recommend an escrow service that is run by one guy!!! No company structure. What's going on there!?! Anyone fill me in?

How does he hold money in trust for all the people he's holding money in trust for. Does it just go straight to his personal account or what. I've never used it and probably wouldn't.

feejeean
Freshman Member

#54 Post by feejeean » Fri May 13, 2005 12:04 am

My experience with thinkpadworld has been excellent. I bought my X31 off them and I couldn't be happier - Did a dead pixel test and results turned out with none dead !! - I just ordered another item off them.
Image Thinkpad X31 28847WU | Banias 1.7GHz | 1024MB RAM | 60GB HDD 7200RPM | X3 Ultra w/ DVD/CDRW | Windows XP Pro | 2 Li Ion Batteries

Boricua65
Freshman Member

T22

#55 Post by Boricua65 » Wed May 25, 2005 4:26 pm

I just bought a T22 from eBay last week. I just spoke with the seller, and they seem very legit. Their username I don't remember exactly, but it's something like RetroBox.

farmer kev
Freshman Member

#56 Post by farmer kev » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:54 pm

Well, my bottom feeder status is intact, Ive never spent more than $175 for a Thinkpad on ebay, 355, 755cd, 755cd, 750cs, 760cd, 760cd, 770, 600 and five 701c. Seems the scammers aren't intrested in this low pricepoint though several pads were less functional than represented.

I am getting REAL tired of seeing gutted laptops being sold, iffn the hard drive has to go in the grinder why does the caddy and/or cover?

Been trying to by a 240 for the last 2 weeks and not having any luck. :(
My latest TP600E 2645-55U
My first TP355 2619-l15

revolutionary_one
Sophomore Member

#57 Post by revolutionary_one » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:56 am

Hello children....again :D

After being vERY satisfied with my thinkpad t42 [not so much on how much it set me back, but whatver :P]

I'm looking to purchase an older x2x, t2x or A series laptop for my family...
if someone could point me to a ebay seller id that usually has these available....
i'd be much obliged...

muchas gracias.
T42 2378FVU -- PM 735 1.7Ghz, 768MB RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HDD, 14.1 SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 64MB ATI Radeon 9600, 24x24x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD, Intel 802.11b/g, Modem(CDC), Gigabit Lan, 6 cell Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro | UbuntuLinux (Dapper Drake)

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#58 Post by JHEM » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:23 am

Drop an email to Bruce Markowitz (scosgt at worldnet.att.net) and ask what's in the larder.

Usually has a good selection of clean used Thinkpads on hand and is a trustworthy individual.

Regards,

James

bhtooefr
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#59 Post by bhtooefr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:49 pm

bluestarcomputersales

I've had good luck with them, I'm using a 27L0585 RJ45/RJ11 assembly from them.

Works great, item came quickly.
Current: X201 (i5-540M, 8 GiB, 160 GB), 365XD (120 MHz, 72 MiB, 6.4 GB, 4x CD-ROM, 10.4" TFT)
Past: T61p 15.0" QXGA, T60p 15.0" QXGA, X61 Tablet SXGA+, R51e 14.1" XGA, X21

bhtooefr
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#60 Post by bhtooefr » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:16 am

That's cheaper than anything Newegg sells...

Anyway, volcomkid408, don't crosspost. Keep yourself in ONE THREAD. You should have posted this in the R series forum (you may have, I haven't checked) OR the General Hardware forum.
Current: X201 (i5-540M, 8 GiB, 160 GB), 365XD (120 MHz, 72 MiB, 6.4 GB, 4x CD-ROM, 10.4" TFT)
Past: T61p 15.0" QXGA, T60p 15.0" QXGA, X61 Tablet SXGA+, R51e 14.1" XGA, X21