Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

850mhz upgrade success on 600x

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
kenzking

850mhz upgrade success on 600x

#1 Post by kenzking » Sun May 29, 2011 3:27 pm

First post here. I have been reading allot of topics here on and off over the years. I have had a 600x I rebuilt about 4 years ago. I just took it out and decided to get it going again.

Its a 2645-4eu that started as a 500mhz. I wanted to speed it up a bit so I got ahold of a 850mhz mmc2 cpu. I understand this is the fastest that intel made.

I did allot of reading and wasn't sure if it would even work in my non speedstep 600x. So I take apart the laptop and installed it... It didn't get past POST with it.

I tried a bios update to the newest one from IBM website, and reinstalled it. Success!

Its working properly at 850mhz!

Since its not a speedstep motherboard if I turn the laptop on without the power supply connected, it will only run at 700mhz. It won't switch back to 850 after its powered on at 700mhz.

However if I power it up with the AC connected, it will power up at 850mhz and stay locked in at 850.

It was very worth it! the extra 350mhz really make a big difference in XP!

A few notes I learned...

- Make sure you have the newest bios installed
- Change the XP processor driver to "intel pentium" not the default one it uses
- Take off the stock heatpad from the heatsink and used arctic silver thermal compound

If you want to find an 850mhz mmc2, look on ebay for the 5000e dell laptop. They used them and are not too hard to find. This is where I got mine. The 5000e I robbed of the 850 is going back on ebay with a 500mhz in it now :lol:
My IBM Thinkpads
T61P | T420s | T23

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: 850mhz upgrade success on 600x

#2 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Congratulations! :D

I had a 600X and it also had a 500mhz processor that was a tad bit too slow for me. I read threads here on the forum about the processor switch and due to financial reasons had to give it up. I really liked the build on that model as it felt very sturdy!
Thanks for sharing!
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by ThinkRob » Sun May 29, 2011 11:25 pm

emeraldgirl08 wrote:Congratulations! :D

I had a 600X and it also had a 500mhz processor that was a tad bit too slow for me. I read threads here on the forum about the processor switch and due to financial reasons had to give it up.
Psh... your 600X isn't *that* slow. If anything, it was the disk that was holding it back. I've got an SSD in it now and it's actually quite usable! It's a great little machine.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:18 am

ThinkRob wrote:
Psh... your 600X isn't *that* slow. If anything, it was the disk that was holding it back. I've got an SSD in it now and it's actually quite usable! It's a great little machine.
You put an SSD in the 600X Rob?!

Pretty nifty :thumbs-UP: :D
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by ThinkRob » Mon May 30, 2011 4:05 pm

emeraldgirl08 wrote: You put an SSD in the 600X Rob?!
Sure did. I got a good deal on a couple of old SiliconDrive SSDs (made by Silicon Systems, which later got swallowed up by WD). They're 8 GB PATA drives with SLC flash, so they're quite durable if a little small. Then again, Debian can fit on some pretty resource-constrained systems...
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!