Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Help required. Bracket left over after reassembly

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
robfromoz

Help required. Bracket left over after reassembly

#1 Post by robfromoz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi guys. I had a noisy fan on our R61i which I had a go at fixing via watching some you-tube videos. The fix went fine, I re assembled everything and it runs very quietly now except for one problem.

I found a small bracket and a few screws left over that I had not noticed whilst the case was open. The problem is now I have no recollection of where it goes.

I am hoping someone will recognise this small pic I have included, and give me a hand in getting in back to its rightful place
IBM Thinkpad FRU:42W2021

I have noticed very touchy wireless connection since this happened.Although that may be a coincidence, as I was only removing what was required to get to heat sync and fan.

Any assistance would be fantastic.

Cheers
Thinkpad R61i running windows 7 ultimate

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Help required. Bracket left over after reassembly

#2 Post by Neil » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:45 pm

That piece attaches to the upper right screw on the CPU heat sink, and the other side of it a screw socket right next to the wireless card. That lip in the middle of it should face downward into the indention on the GPU part of the heat sink. Kind of hard to describe...here's a pic:
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

robfromoz

Re: Help required. Bracket left over after reassembly

#3 Post by robfromoz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Neil wrote:That piece attaches to the upper right screw on the CPU heat sink, and the other side of it a screw socket right next to the wireless card. That lip in the middle of it should face downward into the indention on the GPU part of the heat sink. Kind of hard to describe...here's a pic:
Mate you are a legend.I thought I might have to wait a bit for an answer, I blew that little pic up a bit and printed it out and found the spot straight away. Simple but not real obvious was it, I was was looking for it to hook into something, that extension part is to hold down that plate nice and tight.! Thanks very much for you help Neil! :banana:
Thinkpad R61i running windows 7 ultimate