thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:41 am 

Hello Everyone;
This post came about as I was often asked by fellow travellers (yes I travel often) about how I can read ebooks like a KINDLE or IPAD. Seems everyone these days have thinkpads (well maybe pple sitting in wider seast section of planes often are non teckie Exec's!) :P Word must have got out that "thinkpads" are 'spill proof" blah blah ,,,,,,,

Steps to Install and configure your thinkpad to read ebooks:
I am using a Edge Series laptop sicne that is what am using now and installing and configure apps as I type here... Mine currently is a Edge E520 - arrived 2 days ago for my home use - but I have these same things on my x220t and W420s - both worjk/travel machines....Am going to assume that these machine ( you going to configuree) are FACTORY DEFAULT APPS instaleld etc ,, as there are few things that might not be there if you did a FRESH Install of windows ...etc)

a)Fire up LENOVO THINKVANTAGE TOOLS. click on [url=http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-61432SIMPLE TAP [/url], and confgure that to your choice.
b)Installa nd confgiure READING OPTIMIZER (if not already installed , then go here to install)
(reading help
> Endable Auto rotations
> CHECK ?ENABLE "show this windows when launching digital readers" in this app
> Enable Screen AUTO rotation in SIMPLE TAP

c) Install FREE KINDLE READING APPS from here:
re.html/ref=kcp_ipad_mkt_lnd?docId=1000493771

and you good to go....than you can read any ebooks from Amazon, Itunes etc ,,, on a thinpad. having a X series Tablet is ideal for this - no Need to carry two or three other things!

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:19 am 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Not sure how easy it is to handle an E520 as a book, but whatever floats your boat. 8)

IIRC, Lenovo first marked this program as being compatible with only the X120e. I think anything 13" and above would be too clunky to use in this manner. 9:16 is a bit too narrow for comfortable reading too...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am 

why not just use an actual kindle, since they are so cheap and is a much better fit as a ebook reader then a 15.6 inch laptop.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:50 pm 

Colonel O'Neill wrote:
.......whatever floats your boat....
lol @ Colo*

ausmikel wrote:
......but I have these same things on my x220t and W420s - both worjk/travel machines...
.......8)

> since I travel a LOT! & Talkin of 'Boat'- not sure I would get around as much on a BOAT ,,, and since I am kinda partial to "plane flights" I rather NOT CARRY A BOAT with me always ,,,,,,

Kindle apps on thinkpad works nicely for teenagers at home and even better you can display the laptop screen on the HDTV via HDMI ,,,,,,, ** my pet peeves - DP++***

however everyone is to their own :P:P tis still a free WORLD , atleast in place I live :D

Cheers