I have used an x301 for 2 years which I purchased in the UK for £1900 GBP with the SSD and WLAN. I purchased the X1 direct (for my wife for its portability) from Lenovo USA for $1100 with SSD but no WLAN. I love both machines.
1. Such a pity I could not find something closer to the x301 with a matt screen, changable battery and DVD bay . ( would have considered the 420 recommended above if i'd had read this forum)
Yes, it's a shame that Lenovo stopped X3xx development.
4. X1 keyboard is more like a mac and i sometimes mistype when switching between my x301 and X1 as "seems" to be wider spaced.
Not too surprising there. A lot of people find that chiclet style keyboard , while fashionable, is a step backward.
5. Glossy screens look pretty but the glare (eye strain from trying to look past the reflection) is really bad. I'm wondering if an ipad anti glare cover would fit. Wish it had a matt screen.
Lenovo could have offered an optional glare or matte.
6. The x1 is just as strong and well built as the x301 but with more modern looks.
7. Love all the usual and new Lenovo features.
X1 seems to be an experiment on Lenovo's part to broaden what a thinkpad is. Most on the thinkpad forum don't seem to like it. Not sure on what non-thinkpad users think.