Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Recovery CD vs Clean WXP install

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
Monck
Freshman Member

Recovery CD vs Clean WXP install

#1 Post by Monck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi,

My T61 will ned a system reinstall soon, i just got Recovery cd for it, and now i've small dilema, better install Clean WXP or just put Recovery CD and wait. Any idea?

Thanks
In Poland 40km isn't distance, -40degree isn't cold, 40% alcohol isn't vodka
-
T530-me, T400 -Wife, X61s - sold, T42 - mom, R30 - second mom, T61 - waiting for better times
-

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Recovery CD vs Clean WXP install

#2 Post by jronald » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:50 am

Clean install will leave out the IBM Bloatware. UNLESS you want the bloatware, then use the recovery CD.

Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's

A31

#3 Post by A31 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Restore CD will have all the required drivers and should be pre-activated by IBM? Mind you, the drivers might well be out of date and you can always activate with your COA, so it's your choice really.
Lenovo ThinkPad T440s Touch | Core i7 4600U | 12GB 1600MHz RAM | 1080p IPS Touch Display | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | 720p Webcam | 68+ 6 Cell Battery | Windows 10 Pro x64

Past: Lenovo ThinkPad L540 | IBM ThinkPad A31, R40

farmall
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by farmall » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:41 pm

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=97992

I'd make the full set of media if you don't have them in hand. Just in case. I collect all I can find because one never knows what one will need to reload.

The bloatware is nasty so if it were mine I'd do a clean install unless it was going to "use up" my Windows Product Key. Were that the case I'd do a factory restore and then remove the bloatware programs one by one, leaving the key for use elsewhere.

You can Ghost or otherwise copy your "clean modified" install and make your own backup of that partition.

ozzymud

#5 Post by ozzymud » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:11 am

Neither (but using both), get the correct OEM files from the factory install media, use a clean XP cd, with nLite to make you own custom install cd/dvd with all current drivers and even pre-installed apps that you actually use instead of bloatware (same dvd can be set up for multiple machines/brands)

Then after you get a fresh installed system exactly the way you want it, use Acronis or something to image it to an external drive... then you basically have a recovery disk.
(2)701C,(1)760EL,(6)760XL,(1)760XD
(4)CD Drives (5)int floppies (3)ext floppy (4)2.1GB
(10)CF/IDE w/2 or 4GB 133x CF (1)760XL restore CD
(1)Belkin USB 2.0 32bit Cardbus (2)WPC54G(S) Wifi Cardbus
(1)Belkin F5D5020 NIC (1)Giga-Byte GN-WLM01 Wifi
(1)Backpack CD (1) Xircom REM56G-10 + misc

farmall
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by farmall » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:33 pm

nlite is sweet.

There are lots of ways to restore systems, but since I've been experimenting with the FalconFour 4.5 live CD here's one to consider.

http://falconfour.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... cdusb-4-5/

Ensure you have proper licenses for any proprietary software referenced herein.

I installed XP on a test PC, updated it and downloaded various progs without installing them (so if they are superseded I can choose not to install them) to the Desktop.

The default settings for the FalconFour Ghost automatically splits the image into CD-sized chunks. That's cool even when using a DVD because if they are all in the same directory they work seamlessly. I Ghosted to a USB DVD burner since the test PC CD drive was occupied. You can Ghost to USB key, another partition, or wherever you like.

I went to my Ubuntu machine, and opened the FalconFour CD image using isomaster (listed in the software center). Opening an image allows you to remove and insert files and folders. You should then save the new iso under a different name so as not to disturb your original.

Of course there are plenty of .iso tools for Windows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... e_software

I added the (three in my case) .GHO files TO the .iso then booted it in Virtualbox to test . Ghost saw the files so all was good. I burned the .iso (now too big for a CD) to DVD.

So long as your restore image fits on a DVD you can do it that way. If you install FalconFour to make a USB drive bootable you can store any size image you can fit.

The result is a very featureful computer rescue toolkit with multiple operating systems (PE, Linux, DOS, etc) including a restore image. Your reinstall disc is also your troubleshooting and file rescue disk. You can do all the .iso manipulation and burning easily on a Windows machine, but since my downloads etc are on my Ubuntu laptop I used that.

BootSectorVirus
Freshman Member

#7 Post by BootSectorVirus » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Install XP Clean, install your ethernet or wireless driver to get Internet access, download Thinkvantage System Update 3.14 software and install, then you can pick and choose what gets installed.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloa ... MIGR-66956