thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
IBM & lenovo legacy model ThinkPad support files are available on thinkpads.com.
including Hardware Maintenance Manuals, latest or final driver updates and more.
at: thinkpads.com

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:21 am 

Hello,

I have had a number of Thinkpads going back to the 760el. I always use the same pwd for the power on pwd and the and the same for the HDD, which is different from the power on pwd, on all my Thinkpads and have never had a problem.

Recently picked up a X60 tablet, love it. I set the power on password as well as the HDD password. No problem. I was going to back p my disk so went to remove the HDD password and it says it is incorrect. Is there a certain procedure I need to do on this tablet? When I power on it prompts me for both the power on pwd and the disk pwd and I enter them and all is well. It is only when i try to remove it that I have problems. The password was set on this laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:39 pm 

Is it possible you set them backwards on this machine? (POP is really HDP, etc.)? Did you also remove pop? Is passphrase on?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:05 am 

I will check the passphrase. But I can remove the POP password but can't, for some reason, remove the disk password. I will play with it again in a day or so and see what I can find. I pretty much gave up on it as it isn't a big deal but now I would like to back up my disk. The passwords aren't mixed up.

Thanks,