Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

r50e bluetooth

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
mastermiaow

r50e bluetooth

#1 Post by mastermiaow » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Is it possible to install bluetooth on my thinkpad r50e??

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: r50e bluetooth

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Yes.

You'd likely have to add the BT antenna to the ones already placed in the lid (presuming your machine has wireless) as well as swap the modem card with the BT one.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

MikeHatz

Re: r50e bluetooth

#3 Post by MikeHatz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi there!
I've got an r50e and after 6 years the monitor died so after a good though I decided to upgrade it and not buy a new one.

edit: just to let you know I have replaced the monitor with the same one I bought from ebay with 25 $ :D

Had the 1.5GHz Banias, replaced with the 1.8GHz Dothan, working fine!
Had 2x 256MB Samsung, only one replaced with Corsair 1GB total of 1256MB, working fine!
Had the classic Intel PRO 2200bg wifi mini-pci, replaced with a broadcom bcm 4321 300MBs, after some tweaking, working fine!
Had the Anatel n10158 56K modem, I replaced with the Anatel Actiontec BMDC200 Combo 56K modem and Bluetooth card BUT dose not work.

The modem works fine however the BT is not recognized at all. It seems it's not there.
When I bought it the list of models were r50, r50p, r51 and some others I don't recall. I assumed that it was going to work with r50e but I was wrong!!!!

Since there is no options in the bios to activate / deactivate the BT like the network and wifi I am running out of ideas!

Is there anyway to make it recognize the BT?

I bought the combo card second handed (stated as unused but never know), is there a possibility to be bad?

Is there a way to tweak the bios to accept the BT?

A last thought is to flash the bios with an other moden with BT like r50/1(p). What are the deferences among the thinkpad models r50e - r50 - r51 and r50p?
IBM Thinkpad R50e