Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Best old IBM/Cherry Keyboard for desktop computer?

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Totoro-kun
Freshman Member

Best old IBM/Cherry Keyboard for desktop computer?

#1 Post by Totoro-kun » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:42 am

Good morning,
I'll start by saying that I am a full time Linux user. I got rid of last windows about a year ago and I am very happy about that. What I enjoy about Linux most is it's very powerful command line interface. And I've got very nice experience so far with ThinkPads because of their keyboards which hands down are the best laptop keyboards I had honor to use. That said, I would like to get a nice keyboard for my desktop PC as well. But it's rare to find a real quality keyboard in Lithuania, as mostly cheap junk is imported in here. So most likely ebay is one of the best places to look for it. However, in order to look for something, it is good to know what are you looking for. Here you come in :)

I would like if you could share models of the best desktop keyboards you have used over the years. Or recommend a keyboard for me.

My vision of "ideal" keyboard:
* Standard (do not want any kind of weird ergonomic designs), QWERTY, UK variant (absolutely love big enter key), black keyboard.
* Keyboard without windows key would be awesome, keyboard with Linux penguin logo would be nice too (but this probably means new keyboard, so not really necessary).
* Wired (not wireless), PS/2 or USB plug.
* I prefer Sturdy massive keyboards over ultra slim ones, and if decently build, everything in between is OK too.
* Affordable price tag: up to 40$ or 26£ or 100LT I think is a decent price for some plain quality used keyboard.
* Preferred brands would be IBM or Cherry, but I am open for any others, except Microsoft (I would feel bad if i had to see this word everyday on my keyboard) :)
IBM ThinkPad T61 7661-CTO 14,1" WXGA+ LED mod / T9550 / 4GB / 64Gb ssd / 750Gb Ultrabay hdd / Intel x3100 / Intel 5300 / WWAN / Webcam / 4 in 1 Card Reader / 9 cell Panasonic / NMB blank keyboard / Sata2 Mod / 1066FSB Mod

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Best old IBM/Cherry Keyboard for desktop computer?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:14 am

I am currently in the 9th year of using this same keyboard, and I still love it.
It's a corded (PS/2) Internet keyboard, light-grey, Logitech Y-SE8 with UK layout.
It's still as good as new, although shine is showing up on several keys now.
All characters on the keys are still completely there/readable, no fading even.

The nearest I can find now (my above keyboard minus the [never used] internet buttons) is this:
Logitech Deluxe 250
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0720342023
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

automobus

#3 Post by automobus » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:51 am

Totoro-kun wrote:My vision of "ideal" keyboard:
UK variant (absolutely love big enter key)
UK is not the best place to find big a return key.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by ThinkRob » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:38 pm

* Good quality
* Mechanical
* Cheap ( < 40 USD)

Pick two.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

Totoro-kun
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Totoro-kun » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:56 pm

I have not mentioned mechanical anywhere :) Just looking for decent sturdy keyboard with my favorite blue IBM logo on it and if there were any without windows key :) Also i am interested which keyboards thinkpaders use.

I know mechanical ones does not come cheap unless found in grandmothers closet.

So far I have found Cherry G83 fairly cheap on ebay.

Also a nice mechanical keyboard guide for people who might be interested in them.
IBM ThinkPad T61 7661-CTO 14,1" WXGA+ LED mod / T9550 / 4GB / 64Gb ssd / 750Gb Ultrabay hdd / Intel x3100 / Intel 5300 / WWAN / Webcam / 4 in 1 Card Reader / 9 cell Panasonic / NMB blank keyboard / Sata2 Mod / 1066FSB Mod

robert213

#6 Post by robert213 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Reproduction of IBM Model M keyboards - UNICOMP Keyboard Products
http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

More info here...
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/
TuuS-built T61: T8100 2.1 GHz, SXGA+, NVS140M, Patriot 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800, Samsung 840 Pro; Thinkpad T30: P4M 1.8 GHz, HYNIX 512 MB PC2700S DDR, Hitachi Travelstar 7K100; SilverStone Raven RVS01; 97 Volvo 850-R, 85 Mitsubishi Starion-ES, Keilwerth SX-90R, Ensoniq TS-12, Kawai EP-608

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by ThinkRob » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Keyboards. Oh boy. I care far more than I should about this. Then again, as a software developer, I spend many of my waking hours typing, so maybe it's justified...

At home I use an 1986 Model M for my workstation. It's from one of the earlier runs, and still works great. It's about to be sent off for bolt-modding... I've also got a few other Model Ms at any given time (as I refurbish them), but the 1986 one is the only one that I'll never sell.

I've also got an AEK that I use when I need a spare keyboard. I love it, but I can't really get used to it after having used so many buckling spring boards, so it's my spare for when I need to work on one of the headless boxes that I've got around.

At work I use a Unicomp Endurapro. While we're on the topic: the Model M's that Unicomp makes aren't "reproductions" really. They're made using many of the same molds, on some of the same equipment, and even by some of the same employees as made the Model Ms for IBM and later Lexmark!

My favorite laptop keyboards (in order): T420, 600-series (only some models), T60-series, T40-series.

Oh, and if anyone's looking for a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard with the Control key where Caps Lock normally is, I happen to have a modified early Apple keyboard which I've converted to USB. It's got great switches and is a real joy to use... I'm happy to sell it, as I no longer need it.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

j-dawg

#8 Post by j-dawg » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:05 pm

I know you don't like slimline or small keyboards, so this may not be helpful, but I do rather enjoy my Cherry G84...
http://www.access-is.com/cherry-g84-4420-keyboard.php

I've got this model, but it's branded as something else. don't remember what though.
X61 Tablet - 1.6GHz C2D, SXGA+, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Vista Business.

i have other laptops but i'll be honest i never use 'em

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by dr_st » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:00 am

I find the BIGass enter the most convenient. However, due to two reasons I mostly use keyboard with the ANSI layout.

Reasons:

1) They are more widespread, and all Thinkpads in Israel and US (my two sources for Thinkpads) feature ANSI layout.
2) Most keyboards with BIGass layout shrink the backspace and put the backslash next to it. Not ideal in my book. A small percentage of them put leave the backspace big, and put the backslash to the right of the right shift. This is the ideal solution in my book, because the right shift is very big, and this way you have a big enter, a big backspace, and two big shifts. Unfortunately, only a handful of keyboards provide this layout.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Totoro-kun
Freshman Member

#10 Post by Totoro-kun » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:10 am

Good morning,
Thank you for your thoughts ant tips so far. I am interested what is so special about that 1986 Model M keyboard, that ThinkRob use?

Talking about Cherry G84 and similar keyboards, I do not think such layout would work for me, because I would have to get used to the keyboard every time I use a different computer. It might work if I would get like four of these keyboards, but still i would prefer more standard layout.

And that BIGass enter is huge! It would be nice to get a keyboard with one, but for me enter from UK variant keyboard is OK :)

Earlier I have mentioned keyboards in the closets, and what a surprise! My friend found a very nice IBM keyboard for me in his closet. It has FRU: 33L3217 and Model: KB-9930 it is black, with a Blue IBM logo, it even has some multimedia keys and original sticker still on it. Plus it's my favorite UK variant :banana: It is not mechanical as far as I can tell, but nonetheless it's a very nice keyboard to me.

Here is a photo of the keyboard

There is a lot of dust on it, so I think I will have to do a deep cleaning today :)

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by dr_st » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:10 am

Totoro-kun wrote:And that BIGass enter is huge! It would be nice to get a keyboard with one, but for me enter from UK variant keyboard is OK :)
The UK enter is fine by me. What I absolutely cannot live with is their small Left Shift key.

The Rapid Access Keyboard II is nice. I like it better than the Rapid Access III, which has a compact layout with the navigation keys in a vertical row instead of the traditional block of six.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad