Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkcentre M52 (8212) accessory question

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
Nohbody

Thinkcentre M52 (8212) accessory question

#1 Post by Nohbody » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:30 am

Recently acquired a refurbished M52 for parental unit use as e-mail/word processing machine, and ran into a problem.

The machine it's replacing was a tower design in a cabinet under the desk, but the M52 is in the desktop format. Looking around for the official stand (part # 39M0589) on Google, almost nowhere is listing an actual price, insisting that potential buyers send a query, and the one actual solid price I saw was $140 (more than I paid for the system, shipping included!).

For a casual home environment, is the stand absolutely necessary, or can the case stand on its end without problems?
Just some nohbody with a ThinkPad R51-1830BTU.

craigmontHunter

Re: Thinkcentre M52 (8212) accessory question

#2 Post by craigmontHunter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:45 pm

I don't think it is an issue, just make sure that if there are vents on what will be the bottom, put some sort of "feet" so there is airflow - other than that I don't think there will be an issue, especially if there is a cabinet to protect it.
Elitebook 8440p, i5 520, 8gb, Samsung 840 SSD
Old/Not Working/Dead Laptops:
T61 7661CC2, 4gb, Windows 7 x64, 240gb intel SSD, 500gb Ultrabay drive
Toshiba Portege 7020ct
Thinkpad T41 23737FU
Dell Latitude LS

Nohbody

Re: Thinkcentre M52 (8212) accessory question

#3 Post by Nohbody » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:38 pm

One of the two sides doesn't have a vent on it, opposite from the end of the case with the PSU exhaust fan, so I'm guessing the no-vent side is supposed to be the "down" side in a vertical configuration, making ventilation a non-issue as far as that goes. Might try to rig up spacers anyway, as the case itself can also radiate heat a bit (being metal and all).
Just some nohbody with a ThinkPad R51-1830BTU.