Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad Z61p Fan noise and SSD

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
zokna

ThinkPad Z61p Fan noise and SSD

#1 Post by zokna » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:11 am

Hello everyone,

i am new to this forum and i have a question about my IBM ThinkPad Z61p (Type: 0674 - GEG).
My z61p is quite old (about 5 years old) and for quite some time now i had a few problems with my Z61p with its cooling fan. The noise is as discribed here (http://lophiomys.gmxhome.de/Thinkpad_R5 ... Noise.html). Sometimes the noise is alsow like: whoooooooo rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr whoooooo ...

In general i like my thinkpad but was alsow considering to replace it with a 13.3" model. But then again since i am a student and lack the necesery €, i was alsow considering a litle upgrade.
I was thinking about replaicing the fan, but i am not sure if the problem will occure again. I had this problem for quite some time now, but laitly it started to really iritate me and the noise is making me crazy.

Considering, that the T7200 CPU is 64bit, i was alsow considering upgraiding the RAM, but then again...

To summ it up, my questions would be:
1. What do you think my Z61p is worth, is it worth replaicing?
2. Should i replace the fan or will the problem occure again?
3. Should i replace the HD with an SSD and if yes, with witch ssd (around 120gb)?
4. Upgraiding RAM?

The whole investment would be around 250€ (approximately 343 USD). So, is it worth it?

I would realy apriciate a second opinion on my questions. :)

Regards!

PS: I apologise for my bad english.

Q-Ball
Sophomore Member

Re: ThinkPad Z61p Fan noise and SSD

#2 Post by Q-Ball » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Try out TPFanControl and see how things work out.

But that computer is worth keeping- they don't make 1920 x 1200 screens anymore.
If you get, say, a T420 or T520 (not FHD screen) it's a noticeable downgrade in the amount of stuff you have on the screen: even worse for a 1366 x 768 screen but still with the 1600 x 900 one.

You might try putting 3-4GB of RAM on it (RAM is cheap- get as much as you can).

Since you're a student, you'll qualify for Microsoft's "Ultimate Steal" IF it's available in Europe (and if the site recognizes your university email address).
If this is available for you, an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional is majorly cheaper than at any store. You can get Office 2010 Academic (Professional) for cheap also. It's far, far better than Vista is- you'll notice a speed increase.
If you have to choose between the RAM and this, get this.

If you can spend a bit more, considering an SSD is also a smart move. 120GB is the sweet spot for SSDs right now.

But keep in mind that the Z61p is limited to 150MB/s transfer rather than the full SATA II speeds. There may be a modified BIOS to unlock it to full speed, but I can't seem to find it (you may have better luck). But an SSD will speed up the system substantially.

There isn't much of a reason (other than you're taking the drive to another machine eventually) to get a SATA 6GB/s (SATA III) drive- and SandForce SF-22XX controllers are a bit unstable (though I don't know if that happens on SATA II).

So I'd stick with either an older SandForce (SF-1200 or 1500) or an Intel X25-V/M/E or Intel 320 drive. Don't need to go any faster than that- and besides, you can't.
W520 (i7-2720M, Quadro 1000M), T41, 600E

zokna

#3 Post by zokna » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:10 am

Thank you for the reply!

Yesterday disaster stroke me, i opend up my thinkpad and vacumed the fan. From bolth openings on the side of the thinkpad and form the top of the fan where the fan blades are. I didn't disassemble the fan, just vacumed it. When i put the pc back together and started it up, i got a fan error message.

The fan, as mentioned before, has ben sounding like a bee (beee, brrrr) lately. Now i took out the fan and i will order a new one. It has been running for 4 years now.

Considering the SSD, i read that intel is the most stabel, and as you mentioned the 128GB models are resonable priced or lets say affordable. I will look up some SSD's, and post a few selected models, and hope you will help me choose.

About the RAM, as i read my thinkpad is physically limited to 3GB - somethink about the intel chipset or mobo in the laptop. Should i buy any ram for a laptop or consider an IBM ram?

Regards!

Q-Ball
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by Q-Ball » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Beeeee, brrrrrr?
So your fan sounds as annoying as a teen pop idol?
That must be terrible.

(By the way, fans don't like to spin faster than their rating. If you spin the thing too fast it will literally disintegrate in front of you.)

And any RAM will work (DDR or DDR2? I can't remember.)
I remember there is some trick to get more than 3GB of RAM recognized but I'm not familiar with it (though you can use it as a RAM Disk).
W520 (i7-2720M, Quadro 1000M), T41, 600E

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#5 Post by ajkula66 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Z61p is a fabulous machine and definitely worth saving - and that's coming from someone who generally doesn't like widescreen ThinkPads - but there are exceptions... :D

Yes, the chipset limitation is 3GB regardless of OS used. If you're intent on running a 32-but OS - be it XP, W7 or whatever else - that's honestly plenty. My T60p is quite similar to your ThinkPad when it comes to specs and it's still very comfortable to use for most tasks.

Replace the fan, get a SSD and enjoy. I know I would...

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.