Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X220 - mSATA + 320SATA and resumed comments for new buyers

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
hugolin69

X220 - mSATA + 320SATA and resumed comments for new buyers

#1 Post by hugolin69 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:14 pm

I just bought the following X220. (Choices In french)

After years, I was dreaming for a small lenovo old fashion style, which make me chosse the X220, as the X1 seems to have a lot of lack, and not the old fashion design, and the T420 not so good battery, and bigger one.
So my first LENOVO, and I am so excited, so long to wait for it.. :smileytongue:

I have a few question, after readings page and page about this laptop.

- Is the mSATA port installed by defaut on every X220 ? (can not find this answer in PDF and forums) I did not took the Ericsson option, and leave the default choice, which was "Large band integrated, option". So can I buy a mSATA drive before receiving my X220, and be sure that I have the mSATA port to install it? In the lenovo site, I don't have option to select a mSATA drive.

- It seems that the Intel 310 80Go is the standard reference for everybody. I presume it is the more stable one, but not the most quicker. As the ssd technology goes quick, I would like to get your "actually" return about the other option, like the Renice or MySsd or other one, at reasonnable price (<250EUR Max), for the OS only.
I saw theses models:
- 80GB INTEL 310 STABLE BUT SPEED--
- 64/128GB MyDigitalSSD 50mm Bullet Proof - SEEMSTO BE GOOD COMPROMISE STABLE AND SPEED
- OCZ Deneva 2 / Intrepid SPEED SPEED, STABLE?
- Samsung PM810 64GB, seemsgood speed, stable ?

- I read some people installed a Intel 510 2,5, replacing the 320 SATA, installing it from the inside box, removing the keyboard and forcing a little, this seems to be a weird solution, if somebody has some good feedback about that, it would be appreciated.

- Seems there is no TRIM supported with the Intel 310 mSATA. After I read on TRIM, on my opinion this technology is quite important to keep performance aftermonth. Anyway to activate this feature?

- On my default option for the powersupply, I have "French Pack with cordon and adaptater 65W". For free I have a "European generic Pack (WWAN integrated) with cordon and adaptater 65W". Did I made a good choice? Why they speak about the WWAN here ????

FOR NEW BUYERS

I did not choose the i7, and took the smallest i5, because I don't think I will really need more performance for coding, watching movies etc... but I will save some battery. For new people who want to buy a X220, please notice that the USB 3.0 is install only on i7, which is not clear on the lenovo website, and I just discovered it. No big deal for me, as I think we do not have so many periphicals enough quick ready for USB 3.0, at least for 2 years I think and you can install a expresscard for it if needed, for 20EUR. But maybe If I know that before, I would took the i7. Just let you know, for the new buyers. For new buyer, don't forget to choose the IPS screen, with the premium HD option, this is the one that you can not miss for sure.

For those, who are afraid to install the mSATA drive, take a look at this video link which show the manipulation, choose WWAN remove: LENOVO SERVICE TRAINING http://lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/X220/index.html

FEELINGS

After readings, I would just dislike the low resolution, the fact that lenovo did not choose to integrate a hide slider for the webcam for paranoiac like me, and a little lighter package. Except theses point, not so important, except resolution, it seems after all my search, that this is really a close perfect computer if you had a mSATA drive, and all of that, for a very very reasonnable price (have addittional coupon 150EUR this WE). A full package, with full features, compromise speed, battery, and high HD with the 320SATA.

Thanks for you help.

Code: Select all

Référence du produit: 4287CTO
Nom du produit: ThinkPad X220 - 3 Yr Depot Topseller Warranty

- Processeur Intel Core i5-2520M (2,5 GHz, 3 Mo L3)
 - Windows 7 Professional 64 Authentique
 - Windows 7 Professional 64 Authentique Français
 - Ecran 12,5" Premium HD (1366x768) avec rétro-éclairage par LED, prêt pour le haut débit pour mobile, antenne 2x2
 - Mémoire 4 Go PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz SODIMM (1 module DIMM)
 - Clavier français
 - Lecteur d'empreintes digitales
 - 720p HD Camera
 - Disque dur 320 Go, 7200 tr/min
 - No Micro Solid State Drive
 - Batterie 29++ (9 cellules) ThinkPad
 - Pack européen générique (WWAN intégré) avec cordon d'alimentation et adaptateur CA 65W
 - Bluetooth 3.0
 - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (2x2 AGN)
 - Bande large mobile intégrée - En option
 - Module de langue WE (FR/GE/IT/IT/DU/EN)

tongdakfiend

Re: X220 - mSATA + 320SATA and resumed comments for new buyers

#2 Post by tongdakfiend » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:21 am

I should be getting my hands on my new x220 in a couple of weeks, which I am quite excited about. Since I am not really busy at work, I wanted to write (for my own sake) out the steps to install a mSata drive. I chose as simple a setup as possible (Intel 310 80GB mSata since I read it was likely the most stable; a USB key because I don't want to buy an external DVD drive just yet; and R&R factory state rather than a clean install of Windows 7).

I have mostly been using Macs for the past decade so I needed to dumb down as many steps as possible. Please let me know if any of my steps are totally wrong or if I am missing anything. Thank you. Various Thinkpad forums have been quite helpful.

(1) Create factory recovery disks on to a bootable 16GB USB thumb drive (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... MIGR-74246); (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... IGR-4Q2QAK)

(2) Install mSata (watch the service videos for each step below at http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/io ... index.html)

(3) Remove the Keyboard (page 67 of Hardware Maintenance Manual ("HMM"); service video)

(4) Remove the Palm Rest (page 69 of HMM; service video)

(5) Insert mSata drive (page 71 of HMM; note that there are no specific instructions for doing this on Lenovo's web site, but it is basically the same process as "Replace WWAN" as described in the service video (but without connecting any of the wires obviously)

(6) Reattach Palm Rest and Keyboard

(7) Remove the Hard Drive (page 63 of HMM; service video)

(8) Insert USB thumb drive containing factory recovery disks

(9) Turn on x220 and press F12, when "Startup Device Menu" opens, release F12 key (page 108 of HMM). Select the desired startup device (mSata) and the press Enter. The restore process begins.

(10) Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the operation.

(11) Re-install the Hard Drive (page 63 of HMM; service video)

(12) Remove the USB thumb drive containing factory recovery disks and restart the x220

(13) Press F1 to enter BIOS

(14) Change the boot priority to mSata via the Start/Boot menu.

(15) Afterwards, cross your fingers that these steps work. You will then need to call Microsoft to activate Windows 7 on the mSata assuming I don't use the ABR tool to copy the Windows activation code, which I don't plan on doing.

It gets even murkier for me with these last steps.

(1) Forums are unclear as to whether an install of the factory state on to a mSata would require re-installing SP1 and device drivers. Assuming it does, I think you of SP1 and device drivers is necessary for a factory state installation on to a mSata. Assuming it is necessary, I believe you can re-install device drivers and SP1 using the ThinkVantage program. However, you must make sure to install Windows SP1 before installing the Intel 3000 HD driver or else you will have to re-install Windows 7 again. Just uncheck the boxes for Intel 3000 HD until you are sure that Windows SP1 has been installed.

(2) Then, reformat the Hard Drive to recapture some disk space but leave the rescue and recovery partition alone just in case the mSata fails.

Notes:

--According to various forums, the method above should have no alignment issues despite initial concerns from various posters.
--The main advantage of a clean install is that you can get rid of bloatware from the start.
--I am also confused about UEFI and Legacy boot issues, but I think most people seem to think UEFI is the way to go and that you should set the mSata to UEFI boot only in the BIOS steps (no.11 and 12 above).
ThinkPad x220 - i5 2520, IPS, 8GB Ram, 80GB mSata, 320GB HDD, FPR, Bluetooth, Intel 6205 wireless

hugolin69

#3 Post by hugolin69 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:30 am

Do you think that every X220 will have the mSATA port to install a mSATA SSD disk, even if we do not take the optional 3G module ?

i just worry that maybe this port will not be avalaible on a basic config.

tongdakfiend

#4 Post by tongdakfiend » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:13 am

hugolin69 wrote:Do you think that every X220 will have the mSATA port to install a mSATA SSD disk, even if we do not take the optional 3G module ?

i just worry that maybe this port will not be avalaible on a basic config.
You should already know. Your order should have listed as a configuration: "Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable."
ThinkPad x220 - i5 2520, IPS, 8GB Ram, 80GB mSata, 320GB HDD, FPR, Bluetooth, Intel 6205 wireless

hugolin69

#5 Post by hugolin69 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:16 am

OK, it was just my question, is the option "Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable" meanning that I will have for sure the port I need for the intel 310. Seems yes, good news.

For the moment, I'm just wondering which SDD mSATA I should take, I am in the same way you are, liking Intel for stability, but tohers one are quite stable exceptin OCZ, and the Samsuns seems stable and very very quick, there is also the MCORE.

tongdakfiend

#6 Post by tongdakfiend » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:27 am

Honestly, I don't really know. I'm ordering the Intel 310 80GB because it seems to have less issues, but this is purely based off what people have been posting on this and other other forums. Actually, I am less concerned with the hardware side of things than I am with the software side of things and making sure that I am not missing anything when installing to a factory state on a mSata.

hugolin69

#7 Post by hugolin69 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:30 am

I finally took the intel 310 80GB: SSDMAEMC080G2C1.
had so many disapointment making the "beta"tester" for the big brand selling expensive new things, that I prefer a 40% less quicker product, but stable.

I really think it will be better for you to make a clean install.
I think it will give you better perf, and more stability.

i can not help you for the moment, I wait mine.

hugolin69

#8 Post by hugolin69 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Just a little print of the chat with official Lenovo onshop, it let me totally disapointed with the competence...

LENOVO : What can I do for you today?
ME : hy,i am interessted on X220, but I have some question
LENOVO : Sure, I would be happy to assist you! How are you doing today by the way?
ME : I would like to choose the SATA 320HDD, and wonder,if I will have a mSATA port, even if I do not take WWAN?
ME : Later, I would like to add a mSATA SDD drive
LENOVO : let me confirm this for you. One moment please
ME : ok, no pb
LENOVO : and just so we are on the same page this is not the X220 tablet correct?
ME : no the normal X220
LENOVO : Okay thank you
LENOVO : Hugo I am just confirming this concern. Please bare with me
ME : yes no pb
LENOVO : the m sata drive is throught the 54mm expansion slot
ME : I'ma little surprised, that's the 1st time I heard that. Everywhere, I can read, the mSATA drive will take the placeof the 3G module, under the keyword... You are sure of that ?
ME : sorry the keyboard
ME : in the mini PCI-E slot, where generally goes the 3G module
LENOVO : Yes I am sure of this

tongdakfiend

#9 Post by tongdakfiend » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:22 pm

I am fairly comfortable that my instructions above are correct except according to another poster no. 15 is not necessary. Also, just ordered Intel 310 GB and an extra 4GB RAM chip from Newegg. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to play around with this for another three weeks. Otherwise, I would report on how installation went.

azX32
Freshman Member

#10 Post by azX32 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:01 am

hugolin69 wrote:LENOVO : Hugo I am just confirming this concern. Please bare with me

LENOVO : the m sata drive is throught the 54mm expansion slot
It appears that in researching the answer to your question, the Lenovo rep got off on the wrong track after asking you to remove your clothes with him/her.