Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

5200mAh Battery for X61 Tablet...?

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
JakeR

Re: 5200mAh Battery for X61 Tablet...?

#31 Post by JakeR » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Here are some screenshots of the battery details

From Batterymon
From Thinkpad Power Manager.

I'd say it lasts about 5 hours at most, but I've only used the computer on battery for one cycle. I find it a bit odd that the design capacity is 4070mAh(65.12Wh), which is quite a bit less than 5200mAh. I think I'm going to point it out to the ebay seller and see what they say about it. Aside from the underwhelming capacity, I've never used a laptop battery that stayed so cool before, but that might just be due to how it's mounted on the laptop -- this is the first machine I've used with the battery hanging off the back like this. I think this could result in a measurable difference in lifespan, because Lithium Ion batteries age faster when they're warmer.

My last machines, Dell Inspiron 600m and IBM Thinkpad R40 had batteries under the palmrest, where they got quite warm. I had a second (expansion bay) battery for the 600m, so it would literally run for eight hours at low brightness, I had been hoping this x61 would do the same on a single battery, but it doesn't look like it will unless I can find a better battery.

loyukfai
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#32 Post by loyukfai » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:03 pm

Finally found a pic of the 8-cell of X6x Tablets...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/7428328-post46.html

As you can see, 4 of the cells are not the commonly found cylindrical ones (18650?). Those flat cells are more expensive, as I've read somewhere. That's probably why these 5200mAh modules are larger. - The size is enlarged to accommodate 8 cylindrical cells.

Cheers.
Last edited by loyukfai on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loyukfai
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#33 Post by loyukfai » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:19 pm

JakeR wrote:Aside from the underwhelming capacity, I've never used a laptop battery that stayed so cool before, but that might just be due to how it's mounted on the laptop...
That's probably the main reason. : )

Cheers.

mariol90
Freshman Member

#34 Post by mariol90 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:39 pm

JakeR wrote:Here are some screenshots of the battery details

From Batterymon
From Thinkpad Power Manager.

I'd say it lasts about 5 hours at most, but I've only used the computer on battery for one cycle. I find it a bit odd that the design capacity is 4070mAh(65.12Wh), which is quite a bit less than 5200mAh. I think I'm going to point it out to the ebay seller and see what they say about it. Aside from the underwhelming capacity, I've never used a laptop battery that stayed so cool before, but that might just be due to how it's mounted on the laptop -- this is the first machine I've used with the battery hanging off the back like this. I think this could result in a measurable difference in lifespan, because Lithium Ion batteries age faster when they're warmer.

My last machines, Dell Inspiron 600m and IBM Thinkpad R40 had batteries under the palmrest, where they got quite warm. I had a second (expansion bay) battery for the 600m, so it would literally run for eight hours at low brightness, I had been hoping this x61 would do the same on a single battery, but it doesn't look like it will unless I can find a better battery.
That looks exactly like mine. i think the capacity may seem different because of the voltage.

so far the battery is doing well (it sat for around 2 months), it says 38 cycles but after charging it a total of 351% (~214.8 Wh) it's still at 38 cycles.

edit: seems to be 350% = 1 "cycle" although i'm testing it again. rolled over to 39 after ~353% finally, which means the battery has 137 cycles in reality, if that's accurate. 6% wear.