Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Bluetooth Software Update Fails: BT 3.0 or ??

X100e/X120e/X130e/X140e Series
Du@lB00t$

Bluetooth Software Update Fails: BT 3.0 or ??

#1 Post by Du@lB00t$ » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:21 am

My x120e was described as having BT 3.0, but it doesn't show up that way when I look at things using Device Manager under W7 64-bit Pro. I also boot Ubuntu 64-bit, but can't tell how to determine the HW version under Ubuntu.

Anyway, Windows Update offers me an optional update for my BT hardware. The update downloads, installs to seeming completion, and then gives an error message and rolls back the installation. I get the identical behavior when trying to update the driver directly from Device Manager.

Here's the play-by-play account:

Device Manager shows ThinkPad Bluetooth 2.1 with Enhanced Data Rate II
Broadcom Driver 6.3.5.430 04-08-2010
Device Manager -> Update Driver -> Search for Driver
Driver then Downloads and installs
"Windows has successfully updated your driver software"
ThinkPad Bluetooth 3.0 shows up.
Command Window opens and closes.
Installation Shield Opens and runs w/o waiting for user input
Goes to near completion and then returns error:

"Error 1935
An error occured during the
installation of
assembly "policy,8.0.Microsoft.VC80.CRT,Tye="win32-policy"Version="8.0.50727.42",publicKeyToken= "1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processor Architecture="x86".Please refer t..."

The installed driver is then automatically rolled back. I may have gotten a quote out of place above, but you get the drift.

I tried this prior to connecting ANY BT devices, after connecting my BT phone (and while it was connected and also after disconnecting it), and after deleting the phone BT connection from the list of devices. The error is identical in each case.

What are OTHERS seeing with this driver update, please? Thanks.

azX32
Freshman Member

Re: Bluetooth Software Update Fails: BT 3.0 or ??

#2 Post by azX32 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:43 am

This Broadcom update has failed twice on my X100e. I think there was another optional update that failed as well when I last ran System Update about two weeks ago, though I don't recall what it was. I'll try System Update again, and call ThinkPad support if these fail to install.

The same Broadcom update installed without a problem when I ran System Update last week on an X220.

Du@lB00t$

#3 Post by Du@lB00t$ » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:55 am

azX32 wrote:This Broadcom update has failed twice on my X100e. I think there was another optional update that failed as well when I last ran System Update about two weeks ago, though I don't recall what it was. I'll try System Update again, and call ThinkPad support if these fail to install.

The same Broadcom update installed without a problem when I ran System Update last week on an X220.

There are a number of horror stories out there about problems related to uninstalling/installing the BT drivers on ThinkPads. A number of folks have had their system drive trashed. All from trying to configure their BT properly. I suppose I should be glad to have only a failed install.

azX32
Freshman Member

#4 Post by azX32 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Just to be clear, bluetooth works fine on my X100e. The Broadcom update fails to install, but fortunately it hasn't trashed anything.

floppydisk

#5 Post by floppydisk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:59 am

Hi guys,

Mine too, i just did a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium and BT 3.0 optional update offered under Windows Update failed. It did excatly what Du@lB00t$ mentioned above and I've decided not to bother with it and leave it at 2.0. This is probably a known issue, if this update is available to enhance BT throughput to 3.0 spec. this driver or update should be available under the Lenovo System Updater however it is not.

/g

Du@lB00t$

#6 Post by Du@lB00t$ » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:26 am

Well, here's better news. After more trolling, I found a suggestion that the update would work after applying one of the separate ThinkPad-provided updates (the HotKey update, I think was referenced). Well, I installed ALL of the available ThinkPad updates, and still got the same problem. Finally, I noticed a post somewhere about some UNINSTALLING the BT driver and then trying. It worked. I UNINSTALLED the current BT driver and rebooted. When I did so, the latest driver (already downloaded, remember, but which failed to install) automatically installed itself w/o a hiccup. Nice. Easy. Wish I'd known how easy. Now, I've got a BT 3.0 capable machine but of course no BT 3.0 devices to use with it!

floppydisk

#7 Post by floppydisk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:47 am

Good stuff Du@lB00t$, i'll give that a try tomorrow.!

/g

floppydisk

#8 Post by floppydisk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Du@lB00t$, it did work.! Thank you.!

/g

Du@lB00t$

#9 Post by Du@lB00t$ » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:37 am

Well two successes does not a (general) solution make, but if others try this and post their results, we should soon know. Glad it worked.

crescentmage

#10 Post by crescentmage » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to say that this process of uninstalling worked for me as well. Thanks.