Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Fresh install options

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
knerr

Fresh install options

#1 Post by knerr » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi All,
New owner of an X41, and I'm not exactly a power user on the PC side of camp, so things are going slow for me. If anyone can give me some direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

My X41 has just about everything I need, except for the OS. I don't really care which I go with, honestly, but I would like it to work as intended, and the simpler it is to get there, the better.

If there is a walkthrough of getting one of these up and running from scratch, please feel free to direct me there. So far I've tried WinToFlash and Installing over the network, and don't have much to show for it. The kicker is I unfortunately don't have an external optical drive, which is complicating things, I'm sure.

Is Ubuntu a viable option? Like I said, I'd like it work basically the way it supposed to, certainly with respects to the digitizer, but the extra buttons would be nice too.

Thanks for your help, in advance.
Matthew

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Fresh install options

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:02 am

Welcome to the forum.
To install an OS, you'll either need the X4 (tablet) ultrabase which can hold a CD/DVD drive, or a separate USB CD/DVD drive.
To find out how to take your X41t (it IS a Tablet isn't it?) apart, download this: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... MIGR-60073
For drivers, see this: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/researc ... MIGR-67100
Also check your PM ('new messages' top of this page).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

knerr

Re: Fresh install options

#3 Post by knerr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:52 am

It is, in fact, the tablet. Thanks a lot for the help. I actually thought about PM-ing you to begin with as you kept popping up on other similar topics. :D

In the mean time, I did build an Ubuntu 11 thumb drive, and it was very refreshing to have it just boot immediately. There are obviously some other hurdles with going that route, though. I don't know what I can expect to get working. Most annoying so far is the digitizer failing to change axis when the screen resolution is rotated. That's kind of a biggie.

Any other pro's/con's to XP or 7 are welcome too.

Thanks for the PM. I will respond to that separately.

Thanks a lot,
Matthew