thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:21 pm 

I was just wondering what sort of temperature range X121e owners Thinkpads get to, especially running Linux? It seems like my i3 model is always between 55-65 at idle. At load just now, playing a game it was reported to be at 72 degrees celsius, which is very uncomfortable.

Does anybody know if thinkpad-acpi's fan control works properly on these X1xx models? I did a "cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan"
and it reported the following:

speed: 566
level: auto

It doesn't seem like 600RPM is a lot at all, especially with all that heat.

Many thanks in advance, it's a great laptop/netbook otherwise. Idle temperatures on Windows 7 don't seem nearly as bad, so I'm wondering whether this is a Linux problem, and whether there is a solution.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:32 am 

Hello,

Same Thinkpad here, with same problem on Linux. It seems that some other guys reported the problem and exposed solutions through the web. A quick search gives some usefull links, among others:
telling that some "magic" (at least for me ;-) ) options could be passed to the kernel to reduce temperatures.
Running Debian testing in my X121e, as recommanded in these articles, I put options that GRUB passes to the kernel, in /etc/default/grub file:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1"
then regenerate GRUB files with update-grub and reboot.
Now, my laptop is around 10°C lower than before! :D

Hope it helps...