Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Cleaning Tips

Want to know HOW TO..? Have a FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION..?
If you can't find it here, tell us and we'll publish whatever you need
JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Cleaning Tips

#1 Post by JaneL » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:16 pm

What is the best way to clean my ThinkPad’s LCD? What about the case? Can I just use Windex and a paper towel?

Windex, napkin, and paper towel are big no-no’s. Use a lint-free/micro-fiber cloth and screen cleaning fluid (which is a mix of water and Ethanol). Never spray the cleaner directly onto the screen, always spray it onto the cloth first. You can use the same cleaner for the case, or just a slightly watered cloth. These cleaning supplies are available at Office Depot, Staples and other office/computer supply stores.

Additional suggestions from members - use at your own risk:

apoll0:

To remove oily finger prints from the case, you can use the moist towelette from most restaurants/McDonald's/KFC's.

aceyx:

I prefer using Armor-All leather wipes. While I wouldn't go near my car with that crap, I find that it cleans rubberized surfaces without damaging the finish. YMMV.

AlphaKilo470:

Clorox Disenfecting Surface Wipes:
These work great for cleaning the case on a ThinkPad with the rubberized paintjob. Just be careful to blow all the loose dust off the case first. Also, keep the wipes away from the keyboard. Use compressed air for that, anything wet will simply cause the dust to go under the keyboard, which will eventually make things worse.

Clorox BRAND. That does not maen it has bleach in it

Just be careful when using. As anything that gets rubbed againt the paintjob would, if you press down too hard and rub too vigorously, you might screw things up worse. I wipe the surface with gentle to moderate force and I use them about once every two or so weeks.

KRAZY KEV

Re: Cleaning Tips

#2 Post by KRAZY KEV » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:35 pm

as stupid as it seems i have been using soapy water on a microfibre cloth to clean televisions and tft type screens for years. just mix it in a spray bottle and put a light coating on the surface of the screen and wipe of straight away. there is also no smear marks

Majestic

#3 Post by Majestic » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:58 am

For LCD screens I use Glass Plus cleaner and a soft terry cloth rag. Glass Plus doesn't contain ammonia like Windex so it doesn't discolor plastics. Just spray on the cloth and wipe. It cleans without leaving film behind.

For sticky residue left behind from labels and stickers, I use Ronson Lighter Fluid. It safely removes the residue without marring the rubberized, vinyl or plastic surface.

For keyboards, I first vacuum the keyboard using the dust brush attachment which helps removes the debris that tends to accumulate down under. I then use Glass Plus sprayed onto a terry cloth rag to clean the keys.
My Laptop Collection:
IdeaPad Z570, 8gb RAM & Win 7 Home Premium / Win 8.1 Pro
Toshiba A75-S206, 1.5gb RAM & Windows 7 Home Premium
ThinkPad T-22 (Formerly a T-20), 512mb RAM & Win XP Pro

Sicca

#4 Post by Sicca » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:18 pm

If you wish to use a solution, commercial cleaning kits that include both a cloth and cleaning solution are available.

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by jdhurst » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:39 pm

I do not use Windex (ammonia) because that can yellow the screen. I used just water for years, but a film built up.

For the last 6 months, I put a drop or two of "green" kitchen dishwashing soap (not Palmolive or like) into a well-laundered J-cloth (we keep them in the laundry room). I suds up the cloth, rinse most but not all of the soap out of. I wash the screen and the keyboard. I rinse the cloth until clear and wipe off the screen and then the keyboard. I now do my iPhone at the same time on the way by.

Zero streaks. Do it with the monitor off and black and all the final wipe of water to evaporate on its own. You will see a perfectly even screen.

.... JDH

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by crashnburn » Thu May 17, 2012 2:48 pm

jdhurst wrote:I do not use Windex (ammonia) because that can yellow the screen. I used just water for years, but a film built up.

For the last 6 months, I put a drop or two of "green" kitchen dishwashing soap (not Palmolive or like) into a well-laundered J-cloth (we keep them in the laundry room). I suds up the cloth, rinse most but not all of the soap out of. I wash the screen and the keyboard. I rinse the cloth until clear and wipe off the screen and then the keyboard. I now do my iPhone at the same time on the way by.

Zero streaks. Do it with the monitor off and black and all the final wipe of water to evaporate on its own. You will see a perfectly even screen.

.... JDH
Great tips. I guess because you don't wipe OFF the FINAL wipe, there are no directional marks/ smudge appearances.
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI
X61T 7767-96U: 12.1"SXGA+/1.6C2D/3G/Vista|Ultrabase
W510 4319-2PU: 15.6"FHD/i7-720QM/4G/Win7Pro64 (for dad)
T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)

brackmr

#7 Post by brackmr » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:38 am

For years I have just used a little warm water and microfiber cloth. you can pick up the cloth at a dollar store they are also in eye glasses cleaning kits.

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by jdhurst » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:20 pm

I have just used a little warm water

I did as well until I realized the inevitable grease around (fingers, whatever) was never coming off. That is why the soap suds. I clean my glasses with soap suds once in while as well.

.... JDH