Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

E320 - Mouse-Pointing-Stick: low sample rate

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
MartinFalch

E320 - Mouse-Pointing-Stick: low sample rate

#1 Post by MartinFalch » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:18 am

Short version: If anyone with an E320 could test their TrackPoint mouse sample rate, it would be a huge help, so that I may identify the source of this problem! Link to "MouseRate" program: http://www.tscherwitschke.de/download.html

Hi there,

I just bought a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E320 and I absolutely love it! However, I have one strange problem, which is unfortunately quite a big deal to me:

When I use the "pointing stick" mouse (the red dot in the middle of the keyboard), I get a very low sampling rate (< 40 hz), whereas the touchpad alternative gives me around 50 hz.
However, both are severely lower than when I plug in a Logitech USB mouse (125 hz) and the difference feels significant when working on the computer (mis-clicking cells etc due to slow updating of the mouse location). Since I would prefer using the red dot mouse (and actually went for a Thinkpad due to the existance of this), this is quite frustrating.

I have tried installing both the newest drivers and older drivers (Synaptics). It seems that the default windows driver works better, but that won't allow me to disable the touchpad (I use the red dot). I have also tried with various tweaks to change the sample rate, but I have not been able to get them to work.

Have other E320 users experienced the same problem? Perhaps some of you can report your sample rates (when using the red dot), so I can see if it is a specific problem for me and if I should try and go to my provider, or if it is a general E320 problem. I used the program "mouse rate" to check it: http://www.tscherwitschke.de/download.html

I hope someone has a suggestion, it would mean a huge amount to me! Any help/info is highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Martin Falch

Colonel O'Neill
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: E320 - Mouse-Pointing-Stick: low sample rate

#2 Post by Colonel O'Neill » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:59 am

You can consider disabling the touchpad in BIOS instead and then using the standard Windows drivers.

I get 60Hz on the TrackPoint, 80Hz on the TouchPad, and 250Hz on a MS BT NB 5000 mouse. (W520, latest Lenovo UltraNav drivers.)
W530, W520, X61T, X200s, W550s, E590, T430

MartinFalch

#3 Post by MartinFalch » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:35 am

Ok thanks a lot! :) I considered the BIOS option too, but when I checked it out (under Keyboard/Mouse), no option was available to turn off the touchpad from what I could see. But I'll try and look into it again, maybe I missed something!

Update: semi-solved the problem by switching to the 15.3.8.0 Synaptics driver - this gives me an increase from 40 hz to around 55-60 hz, which feels significant! :)

asdfqwer

#4 Post by asdfqwer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Same problem here.

Trackpoint gets about 35Hz every time touchpad is slightly touched (which happens naturally all the time).
Nav software is the latest (dec 2011), turning touchpad off or changing any options on the NAV software menu doesn't help. Sent it to lenovo for repair, they said it is probably like this "by design"...
I really don't understand where is the quality control here.

To me this is an unacceptable flaw, it makes the trackpoint pretty much useless to work with.
After owning several Thinkpads over the years, this is going to be my last one.

asdfqwer

#5 Post by asdfqwer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:43 am

UPDATE,

Just installed the new ultranav drivers (version 13.3.2012) - NOTHING IS CHANGED.

Stay away from this model!