Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad Tablet, First Impressions

ThinkPad/Ideapad Slate Tablet, Tablet 2, Miix etc.
ausmike

Re: ThinkPad Tablet, First Impressions

#31 Post by ausmike » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:03 am

Shofar wrote:......

Have also charged it with my phone charger (generic 5V, 200ma {is that the same as 2 A?}) with no problem.

I can't compare it with IPad 2 or Galaxy as I wasn't interested in them. I wanted 3G, SD and full size USB. I have the keyboard folio on order and also a roos lightweight folio.

FWITW >_ for whats its worth....

1) Yips - have used my Phone Charger - few times on my 1838 TP lots of times and no damages till now ( OLDER Blackberry charger is perfect fit , as per specs above!!)

2) FULL SIZE USB ?? .......hummmm ???
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#32 Post by BillMorrow » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:23 am

Shofar wrote:...I have the keyboard folio on order and also a roos lightweight folio.
i am interested in knowing what you think of the roos folio..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

Shofar

#33 Post by Shofar » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:35 am

Hoping it will arrive next week.
Will post when I have used it some.

I won't get the Keyboard Folio till end January but from your comments I am looking forward to it.

ausmike

#34 Post by ausmike » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:17 am

Giday Uncle Bill .... :bow:

hello everyone ....
< not sure if this is relevant to mention> ....RE: ANDRIOD MARKETS

I have noticed a lot of pple having difficulty in installing , getting items from Andriod markets to their tablets ,,,,,,, so here are some tips/tricks that i found the hard way that I would like to share:-
1) For andriod Tablets - make sure your settings = ON = UNKNOWN SOURCES = CHECK'ed ON
- There are a large number of apps that are free or@costs added dailyand Google Admin just cannot act fast enough to add/approve them to their 'approved list' in the ANDRIOD APPROVED LIST - for them to be classififed. Once APPROVED than they will ADD/Install without any issues
2) READ install Info - often there are apps that MODIFY your 'kernal' (core internals) that either render or stop other apps from working correctly (that one major drawback of OPEN SOURCE apps) ie there is noone to 'decide' who gets to and or stop interfeeance from one apps to another (( fyi - apple uses this excuse to not have OPEN SOURCE APPS in their itunes )) yips this 'control' can be a good thing etc ,,,,
** Pls lets not have a flamed discussion of Apple vs Andriod APPS- each one has their benefits etc - this comment is jsut to let pple know/make aware of WHY SOME APPS dont work etc etc ,,,,****

have few others tips and tricks etc ,,

***maybe Forum Admin - might want to CREATE a NEW HEADING of ANDRIOD OS , just like win 7 here **** and move this topic there

>>love my ASUS - TABLET with win7 OS -- so so much better put together than X220Tablet !!<<makes me sad to say that ,, as I used to adore Thinkpad products
Cheers
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~

Volker

#35 Post by Volker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:52 am

I'll beg to differ:
  • Only switch on "Unknown sources" if you want to install apk files that you download elsewhere. If you only want to use apps from the Android Market then leave unknown sources = off.
  • Every app runs under a separate user account. Apart from competing for CPU time and RAM, they do not influence each other. The compiled apk is the same for open and closed source licenses. The only difference is that in open source you can't hide CarrierIQ and friends.
From my experience, the Android Market (and really, every app store) always has some glitch in some country. Almost always they resolve themselves when the app store re-synchronizes its data. Relax and give it a day or two, it'll work then.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#36 Post by BillMorrow » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:35 am

@ausmike...
"uncle"..? makes me sound old.. :roll:
err, a forum for android sounds like an idea..

@volker....
thanks for the input.. you should know having written "quill"..
i see a lot of free apps and crippled free apps and advertising supported apps..
is not free enterprise fun..? :)

~~~Mark Twain~~~

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#37 Post by BillMorrow » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:38 am

janruary update:

the more i use this little tablet, the more i like it..
hardware is great, android 3.1 OS is less so..

more for a smartphone than a tablet..
apps, utilities, etc..

lenovo needs to generate some thinkpad notebook like utilities, like a good hibernate utility and better battery/power management..
lets face it the thinkpad tablet's main competition is the iPad..
the iPad turns on and off and the battery remains charged..
i find the thinkpad gets a weak wifi signal where the iPad won't..

all-in-all it needs a few improvements.. all-in-all i love the little beast..
now i need to take a picture of the real "THINK" pad and make it the wallpaper on the tablet.. :idea:

Feb edit: I finally ordered the little charging dock for this tablet.. $$ well spent..

~~~Mark Twain~~~

Temetka
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#38 Post by Temetka » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:38 pm

I Just got mine yesterday. I have a nook color and a nook tablet as well as an android phone. My tablet has 16gb of internal storage as well as a 32gb SD card. I got the keyboard folio case and pen for it as well. Overall I really love it.

Typing this post using the on screen keyboard and yes I do notice the input lag Bill had mentioned earlier. The honey comb OS is good, but I have ICS on my nook color. Lenovo says there is an ICS update coming in May so I am looking forward to that. I did install the android version of OneNote. But haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.

Going back to the forum input lag, I am going to install tapatalk and see if it does it there also.

I would love a 2nd full sized USB port on the right side so I can plug in a flash drive when its in the folio case. Guess I will have to find an adapter for the mini USB port. I love the build quality and the display is excellent IMO. I love that Lenovo used gorilla glass.

I will be posting more as I get used to this device. That being said I can already tell that it is the best Android device I have owned yet.
New:
Thinkpad T470 16GB RAM 250GB SSD LinuxMint
Old:
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301, T430s, T450, T460