Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

DO NOT buy the thinkpad product

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
jeb

DO NOT buy the thinkpad product

#1 Post by jeb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:39 am

I wanna share my experience to you, I live in Australia, I don’t know what the lenovo’s customer service in US, but in Australia it really awful. I had two IBM thinkpad laptops when I was in junior school and I used them abt 5 yrs, neither of them ever had been sent to repair.

3 years ago I bought a Lenovo thinkpad laptop, and one year after, the laptop came with a black screen problem, then I sent it to repair. Funny thing is that when I got it back, the black screen problem did be fixed, but the wifi connector has a problem and I had to send it back again to fix the new problem.

After 2 weeks, my laptop cant turn on suddenly, again I sent it to the thinkpad center and told them that I hoped they can check the laptop before they give it back to me, because I want it works perfectly. And they promised me that they will check it. However, the ridiculous thing is that when I got it back it with a new problem. The loudspeaker has been broken.

And earlier last year, my laptop had the black screen problem again, I sent it to repair, Inevitably, when I got it back it, the loudspeaker broken again.

I was thinking that I wont never bought thinkpad product, but last time when I complain someone contact me, and because him my laptop finally first time been fixed completely.

I bought a thinkpad tablet few months ago because their AD is awesome. I only use it less than 5 times. Now it suddenly cant recharge anymore, and I call the customer service, they came and picked up my tablet and told me that they cant fix it and they will give a new one to me, but because they don’t have any in stock so they don’t know when they can sent a new one to me.

Well, to be honest I don’t believe that.

And the guy also said that he will sent me a update email every two day, but until now I never got any email from them. Last week I call them again and complain, I said that I don’t wanna wait for your email just call me. And the guy said that he would call me ASAP, and till now I still haven’t got any call yet.

Things like that, if it just happened once, it might be a coincidence, but three times!!! Seriously, I have to say that you are negligence of duty, you don’t even care abt your customer, and you never keep your promise. So considering your poor quality and services, I really hope other guys will learn from me never and ever buy their products anymore.

ArtShapiro

Re: DO NOT buy the thinkpad product

#2 Post by ArtShapiro » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:47 pm

When I saw your title, I expected to read an irrational rant.

But it's hard not to be sympathetic to your story. While the worst repair from a customer perspective is one where the machine comes back with precisely the same problem, not far behind is one where they fix the reported issue and break something else.

I'm sure the technicians are judged on how quickly they can turn around a problem, but there really ought to be some basic tests of major functionality before a repair is considered to be completed.

Art

jeb

#3 Post by jeb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:13 pm

ArtShapiro wrote:When I saw your title, I expected to read an irrational rant.

But it's hard not to be sympathetic to your story. While the worst repair from a customer perspective is one where the machine comes back with precisely the same problem, not far behind is one where they fix the reported issue and break something else.

I'm sure the technicians are judged on how quickly they can turn around a problem, but there really ought to be some basic tests of major functionality before a repair is considered to be completed.

Art
exactly, but now i am unsatisfied with their customer services, they promised me will contact me and then they didn't keep their promise.
i sent an email to them to complain this thing, never get a reply
they promised me will sent me a update email, i never received it
they promised me they will call me, i still haven't got the call

i mean if a company it can't keep its promise, why should i trust its quality and turns out their quality did awful compared with when the thinkpad still belong to IBM

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by killer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:09 pm

@jeb: Welcome to the forum. The situation here in the UK is very different. Lenovo support is excellent. Have you tried contacting the management team in Australia?

BTW, I have a problem reading your English and you can't spell Sydney correctly. What is your native language?
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by bill bolton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:46 pm

jeb wrote:So considering your poor quality and services....
This is NOT a Lenovo web site :roll:

Brian10161

#6 Post by Brian10161 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:15 pm

I can honestly say I have not needed to use warranty services or anything like that from Lenovo even though I have many Thinkpads.

So, I can't comment on their services. That being said, I have always been one to fix things myself. Regardless though, I haven't even been required to fix any of my Thinkpads. Guess I have been lucky.

My only point in this, is that I don't believe they have a sub-par product or anything like that and I'm sure there are many members here with my mentality. Therefore, I doubt you will change many minds here.

However, I do believe that a company such as Lenovo should provide good quality services and products. I hope you have good luck with your laptop and Lenovo's warranty/service.

Good luck OP
Thinkpad E14 : R7-5700U : 16GB : 1tb

Alejandro Audisio
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:46 pm

It seems that Thinkpads have their fair share of issues.... I just wish there was some reliable consumer site that would show some data on what the % of service issues are for the principal laptop brands. My point is, I wonder if Lenovo has lemon numbers that are any better or worse than say, Dell, Hitachi, Sony or Mac..... absolute numbers mean relatively little, its a proper comparison that would be great to have.

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by pianowizard » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Alejandro Audisio wrote:I just wish there was some reliable consumer site that would show some data on what the % of service issues are for the principal laptop brands. My point is, I wonder if Lenovo has lemon numbers that are any better or worse than say, Dell, Hitachi, Sony or Mac..... absolute numbers mean relatively little, its a proper comparison that would be great to have.
I think the closest things to what you are asking for are reliability and satisfaction surveys such as these:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384243,00.asp

http://www.pcworld.com/article/244419/l ... _rule.html
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by ThinkRob » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:24 pm

pianowizard wrote:
I think the closest things to what you are asking for are reliability and satisfaction surveys such as these:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384243,00.asp

http://www.pcworld.com/article/244419/l ... _rule.html
Hmm. It'd be interesting to see the Think division stats split out from the rest of Lenovo's lines. I imagine that the figures would be a good bit different...
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

thePCxp

#10 Post by thePCxp » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:18 am

Sorry jeb but I'm gonna continue to buy the ThinkPad product. :D Let me tell you something my friend, you haven't seen nothing yet and you just had some bad luck, okay? Most Lenovo customers have had positive experiences and you're just one of the few who've had a negative experience. Lenovo's quality and reliability is way better than the others out there. So come on, just give them another chance. (...That's the trouble with people today, they take everything too seriously...they need to learn to lighten up a bit.)
ThinkPads: R51 (1836HAU), T41 (23737FU), 600 (264551U), T60 (2008VRQ), T500 (224255U)

I Love (all) ThinkPads...ThinkPad forever!