Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X61T with a New SXGA Screen, Superb IBM Service!

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
olex126

X61T with a New SXGA Screen, Superb IBM Service!

#1 Post by olex126 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:25 pm

I purchased (ajkula66) George's used, excellent condition X61T model a couple of months back. VERY fast unit with Win 7-x64 installed on the SSD. Turned it on yesterday after lunch to discover several small air bubbles (about the size of the eraser head on the stylus) had mysteriously decided to take up residence between the top plate and the screen, just above the bottom bezel and centered slightly to the right.

This machine came with a special bid four year on-site warranty which ends in April of 2012, so I decided to take advantage of that pleasant fact 8) :lol: 8) :lol:. I called the Lenovo Canada help desk at 3:30 P.M. and explained the problem to the tech. After verifying the serial number, he issued a Case Number, and TWENTY MINUTES LATER I had a call from my local IBM tech repair guy, saying the screen was on it's way overnight to their depot, and would I be available this morning so he could do the repair?

True to form, he showed up at the requested hour, and forty-five minutes later he had the beautiful new (and I do mean NEW) SXGA screen installed. The repair guy commented that he'd been working for IBM for the last fifteen years, and it wasn't often he got service parts that were new, and not refurbished. We both checked for the orange "usable service part" sticker, and it was nowhere to be found, and the screen truly did appear as if it had just left the assembly line. Naturally, not a mark, scratch or fingerprint to be found anywhere. And wow, is it so much brighter than the old one! The clincher, of course, were the markings on the stickers on the back, dated June 2011!

For those interested, the new screen is a BOE-hydis, HV121P01-100, part number is 42T0461, FRU is 93P5609.

The tech did have a bit of problem with the "super-tack" on the back of the bezel, but he was careful and thorough, and had it separated from the screen after about two minutes with no damage to either part.

After reading comments in the forum regarding the availability of the SXGA screens, I was greatly surprised that a new one could be on my doorstep literally overnight!

Anyways, just saying Kudo's to the Lenovo warranty department in Toronto and their service tech team in London :thumbs-UP: :thumbs-UP: :thumbs-UP:. They did an excellent job.

Regards.

Dave
Previous & Collection Thinkpads: 701C A22m A30/A31p T23p x2 T30 T41 X31 various 750's 760's & 390's.

Test Benches: X41T, X60T & X61T's, various T42p-T43p's, x200 x201 x220T x230 T520 W530 T601F LED (X9000/8Gb/250SSD/W7 U)

DD: P50

"Life Is A Journey...Enjoy The Ride!"

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: X61T with a New SXGA Screen, Superb IBM Service!

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 pm

I wish I could post a similar success story...but I can't...not for now anyway...

Just parted ways with a tech who was sent out (not his fault by any means) with two brand new XGA panels... :flame: :flame: :flame: ...for my two SXGA+ tablets...the man drove 85 miles to my house... :roll:

Will keep this thread updated as we move along...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

olex126

#3 Post by olex126 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:01 am

George.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Puzzling, since when I called the Canadian IBM Help Desk, the call was routed to Atlanta. I verified the correct screen part number with the technician who answered the phone and set up my repair.

Perhaps there was a slip-up in the order-picking department? Out-of-stock maybe and they issued substitute (XGA) screens automatically?

Perhaps they are now only shipping new SXGA screens to Canadians, hoping to curry favour with us so we don't route our Keystone pipeline oil to China? :D

Regards.

Dave
Previous & Collection Thinkpads: 701C A22m A30/A31p T23p x2 T30 T41 X31 various 750's 760's & 390's.

Test Benches: X41T, X60T & X61T's, various T42p-T43p's, x200 x201 x220T x230 T520 W530 T601F LED (X9000/8Gb/250SSD/W7 U)

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:23 am

Well, here's an update: one screen got replaced - with a brand new one just like yours - and the second one was defective.

So, more appointments with IBM to follow...

Enjoy your fine machine, Dave... :thumbs-UP:

Cheers,

tombaker
Freshman Member

#5 Post by tombaker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:35 am

I sent in a XGA touchpanel X61 with a bezel issue
they sent it back without fixing the bezel but broke the nav dial
I sent it back, and asked them to confirm all was OK with the screen.
They tried to reach me, to tell me I needed a new motherboard and inverter that I would have to pay out of pocket. They did not, so the decided to send back the machine to me.
I called them up and told them they needed to fix the nav-dial they busted, and any other parts they wanted me to pay for, were actually covered under the warranty, that had expired as they held onto it without fixing it.

So, after some explaining they agreed to replace the motherboard and stuff, heck I am pretty sure the motherboard never had an issue but they said it needed to be done.
I send them back the touchscreen X61......they send me back a Pen Only. I finally figured it was pen only after it kept BSOD because of driver conflicts.

They agreed it started out as a touch screen and send it back to me.
This time the panel is put in wrong, and has a pretty significant edge bleeding....in the entire corner about the size of a half dollar.

I first think I can deal with it, then decide no....and send it back right on the edge of the repair warranty. After explaining they said 90 days and not 60 days parts, and you pay labor, they agree to fix it.

SOOOOO they send me back a Pen only unit again.

Now they are pee'd, because the senior level IBM employee wants to argue that I never had a multitouch screen, and the because it says Touchpanel in the descriptor, that real means Pen Only.

I read thorough the assembly parts for him, explain that multitouch then means finger and pen, not multiple fingers as it does today. It takes 2 weeks for them to become convinced of the error.

I tried to get them to just send me a refurb and level this poor machine out of it.

So yes, if you can have the guy come to your house or work its a better deal. I have 8 or 9 of these wonderful laptop boxes now, and finally a nice panel in the X61.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#6 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:52 pm

My second machine is still not up...

The screen was replaced with a brand new, proper one. Worked for about 45 seconds and died. Blew the board - as we know now - in the process.

The tech came out with a new board, cable and inverter, but we still have no video as of now...which points to the LCD as a culprit.

To be continued... :roll:

Cheers,

olex126

#7 Post by olex126 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:31 am

George.

The way the repairs are progressing, you will have a completely factory-refurbished X61 Tablet by the time it is up and running. I would suggest that Lenovo ship you a new box, packing material and product inserts so that you can sell it as such! :D

Dave

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#8 Post by ajkula66 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Dave,

No kidding. Three screens, two boards and two sets of inverters and LCD cables later...it ended up being shipped out to depot, and...

The infamous machine # 2 arrived back from the depot yesterday. At this point in the game, only the plastic parts are the original ones. Reserved for a fellow forum member and a good buddy of mine. To be fully tested and in the box it goes... :thumbs-UP:

The tablet # 3 had its screen swapped earlier today, no issues. Posted in the Marketplace...only for those wanting the *very* best:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=102164

Cheers,