Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Remove LCD from its metal frame without breaking contacts?

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
trmsw
Freshman Member

Remove LCD from its metal frame without breaking contacts?

#1 Post by trmsw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm thinking about maybe trying the SXGA+ mod on my X61s, and not relishing the idea of hacking bits of the new panel to make it fit.

If I had a normal XGA panel and an SXGA+ panel, would it be possible to swap just the LCDs and their contacts, and keep the frames and backlight assembly? My particular worry is separating the LCD from the metal frame without breaking the contacts.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

smugiri

Re: Remove LCD from its metal frame without breaking contacts?

#2 Post by smugiri » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:44 pm

trmsw wrote:I'm thinking about maybe trying the SXGA+ mod on my X61s, and not relishing the idea of hacking bits of the new panel to make it fit.

If I had a normal XGA panel and an SXGA+ panel, would it be possible to swap just the LCDs and their contacts, and keep the frames and backlight assembly? My particular worry is separating the LCD from the metal frame without breaking the contacts.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
I think that the panels have different thinkness and different electronics for the display.

And if that was not enough, you would probably need a clean room to be able to do this without getting dust/specs etc in between elements in the panel. You can do it if you are really carefully without the clean room but chances are that something will go wrong.

But I think that the main problem here is that the eletronic components are different since they have to drive a different display type (resolution).
Steve

trmsw
Freshman Member

#3 Post by trmsw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:46 pm

I know about the differences between the two displays, that I need a different cable to drive the SXGA+ panel, etc.

The frame is a piece of metal, the backlight assemblies are functionally equivalent; what I dream of being able to do is transfer the unique parts (LCD and electronics) between frames without breaking the ever-so-delicate contacts between the electronics and the LCD.

The alternative is to saw and grind bits of the SXGA+ panel so that it fits my X61. It's ugly but plenty of people have managed it.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:46 pm

You do understand that you'll need a special modded BIOS as well, correct?
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

trmsw
Freshman Member

#5 Post by trmsw » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:23 am

ajkula66 wrote:You do understand that you'll need a special modded BIOS as well, correct?
Yes, I was going to use the Middleton one for improved ssd performance too.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#6 Post by ajkula66 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:30 pm

That's NOT what I was referring to.

You need BIOS that will allow the X6x non-tablet motherboard to "recognize" the new LCD.

Middleton's "standard" modded X6x BIOS won't help you there.

Cheers,

smugiri

#7 Post by smugiri » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:57 pm

trmsw wrote:I know about the differences between the two displays, that I need a different cable to drive the SXGA+ panel, etc.

The frame is a piece of metal, the backlight assemblies are functionally equivalent; what I dream of being able to do is transfer the unique parts (LCD and electronics) between frames without breaking the ever-so-delicate contacts between the electronics and the LCD.

The alternative is to saw and grind bits of the SXGA+ panel so that it fits my X61. It's ugly but plenty of people have managed it.

Fair enough: I understand what you want to do better now.

If I may hazard an opinion, I am one of the people who have done the grinding to make the SXGA+ panel fit into the X61s (not the X61, I am not sure what clearance is like in that unit). It is MUCH MUCH easier than what you are proposing to try. I was able to do it with a pair of pliers and a lot of patience - no dremel or grinding.

The project may be a non-starter though.

For the X61/X61s 1024*768 panel [specs here], dimensions are (using a HT121X01-101)

261.0±0.4mm(W) ×198.0±0.4mm(V) ×4.7mm(D) Typ./5.0mm(D)Max

For the X60/X61 tablet 1400*1050 panel [specs here], dimensions are (using a HV121P01-100)

270.0 ±0.5mm(H) ×199.0 ±0.5mm(V) ×4.8mm ±0.3mm

The SXGA+ panel is the same height but 9mm wider, I am of the opinion that the glass etc from the SXGA+ will not go into the XGA LCD frame in the space-time continuum we occupy.

ajkula66 wrote:That's NOT what I was referring to.

You need BIOS that will allow the X6x non-tablet motherboard to "recognize" the new LCD.

Middleton's "standard" modded X6x BIOS won't help you there.

You are right @ajkula66, Middleton's BIOS will not help in the sense that without BIOS patch to report a new 1400*1050 resolution, the BIOS will keep reporting a 1024*768 resolution to the operating system. From a practical usage perspective, this means that Windows and other OSes that get screen resolution from BIOS will attempt to paint a first 1024*768 area of the 1400*1050 screen with the wrong sync rate and resolution. You do need a BIOS that gets you the full resolution to use the mod with Windows. This is the BIOS mod @ajkula66 is referring to @trmsw

There are operating systems though that get display resolution directly from the display using EDID such as linux. For these operating systems, the display will start at 1024*768 and then switch to 1400*1050 when OS (for example linux) drivers take over.

See here to understand what I mean.

TL:DR version: you can use a stock BIOS or Middleton's BIOS with Linux with minor issues (for example, changing BIOS settings will be hell without an external monitor) but you cannot use either BIOS with Windows.
Last edited by smugiri on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve

trmsw
Freshman Member

#8 Post by trmsw » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:19 pm

The "simply" swapping lcds is clearly a non-starter.

It's reassuring to know you managed to fit an Sxga+ panel into an X61s with just a pair of pliers, I was also planning to try it, but now that the donor X60 tablet has arrived I like it too much to try anything for the moment.

About the bios, I'm confused. One of the Middleton bioses is called "x61 SXGA", I was assuming that this was just what I needed?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#9 Post by ajkula66 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:31 pm

No.

The BIOS that you found would be applicable to a X61 SXGA+ tablet, to enable SATA 3.0 speeds, and non-listed wireless cards...and not for installing a SXGA+ panel onto a non-tablet motherboard...

Cheers,

trmsw
Freshman Member

#10 Post by trmsw » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:38 pm

smugiri

#11 Post by smugiri » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:18 pm

trmsw wrote:But there's a separate tablet one!
http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo- ... ion-8.html

The X61/X61s SXGA+ BIOS link is new: it was not there the last time I checked before I did my mod. This BIOS should do the trick.
Steve

smugiri

#12 Post by smugiri » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:31 pm

trmsw wrote:The "simply" swapping lcds is clearly a non-starter.

It's reassuring to know you managed to fit an Sxga+ panel into an X61s with just a pair of pliers, I was also planning to try it, but now that the donor X60 tablet has arrived I like it too much to try anything for the moment.

About the bios, I'm confused. One of the Middleton bioses is called "x61 SXGA", I was assuming that this was just what I needed?

What I did was much easier that the recommended methodology but not for the faint of heart.

As always, with these mods, your mileage may vary , do not use do this on any equipment you cannot afford to lose, yada yada yada.

The SXGA+ LCD panel has screw ears on the side of the LCD outside the 270X199 width. This prevent the LCD panel steel frame from installing against slim rails that run from hinges up to the top of the LCD along the side of the panel. Look at this image in the top right hand corner and you will see what I mean. They look like white semi-circular ears with a hole through them. They are actually in two layers: a white plastic layer at the back and a steel layer at the front with exactly the same shape. The steel is hidden by the plastic. See this to understand what "steel at the front" means.

(BTW, that metal bead running down the side of the lCD is going to make your life hell).

You need to remove all of them so that the outline of the LCD is a perfect rectangle with no ears sticking out to be able to install the panel.

The traditional (and correct method) to do this is to dissemble the panel like you were going to do with the XGA panel to remove glass and electronics and then work on just the metal steel frame.

I cheated by cutting the white plastic with an X-ACTO knife and then "worrying" the steel part of the ear off by rocking back and forth slowly with a pair of pliers gripping the ear's flat surfaces and shearing it through "exhaustion". About 100 rocks for each of about 10 degrees off center each time for 6 ears. About 45 minutes total. You have to hold the LCD carefully (else you crack it and you are out $200) and you have to go slow. But, it works really really well. And it seemed faster and safer to me than disassembling the panel. But, YMMV.
Steve

trmsw
Freshman Member

#13 Post by trmsw » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 am

smugiri wrote: I cheated by cutting the white plastic with an X-ACTO knife and then "worrying" the steel part of the ear off by rocking back and forth slowly with a pair of pliers gripping the ear's flat surfaces and shearing it through "exhaustion". About 100 rocks for each of about 10 degrees off center each time for 6 ears. About 45 minutes total. You have to hold the LCD carefully (else you crack it and you are out $200) and you have to go slow. But, it works really really well. And it seemed faster and safer to me than disassembling the panel. But, YMMV.
It didn't feel very fast or safe (after wrecking an X61 T panel stupidly trying to remove the bonded glass I was perhaps over-cautious), but this method worked for me too. It was nerve racking though!

Naively thought I could put the digitiser onto the X61s' original panel, but there's no way it will fit.

Regards,
Tom

smugiri

#14 Post by smugiri » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 am

trmsw wrote: It didn't feel very fast or safe (after wrecking an X61 T panel stupidly trying to remove the bonded glass I was perhaps over-cautious), but this method worked for me too. It was nerve racking though!

Naively thought I could put the digitiser onto the X61s' original panel, but there's no way it will fit.

Regards,
Tom

Glad to hear that it worked for you.

It is very nerve-wracking.
Steve