Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T30 supervisor password..can it be fixed?

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
truffy

T30 supervisor password..can it be fixed?

#1 Post by truffy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Hello Forum...it has been a while. I have the same old T30 with lost supervisor password for so many years, and found out about these new little memory chips on eBay but can't be sure. Two sellers (one in Germany and the other in U.S.) call it a BIOS Password Memory Chip, and they say if I replace the old chip on the motherboard and solder this new pre-programmed one, this will allow me to unlock the BIOS and then add more RAM memory modules and change the boot sequence. Is this a sure thing to fix my locked BIOS? Has anyone done this method before with or without success ?

Also I need to ask if there is any possibility of installing a new graphics card in the PCI slots in order to upgrade to Windows 7 ? I know the old integrated graphics does not work well with Windows 7, so is there some other way to upgrade the graphics hardware ?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T30 supervisor password..can it be fixed?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:12 pm

The Supervisor password can certainly be fixed, and without soldering, but that way???
Never heard a success story with that method...
Anyway, the forum does not allow discussions about password removal.

And you cannot change the graphics on a T30.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

truffy

#3 Post by truffy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Okay I forgot those rules, so please forget the bios problem as I will solve this on my own.

If the T30 can't be upgraded to a Windows 7 graphics hardware, this will make the laptop obsolete in 2 years when Microsoft will stop the Windows XP updating service. I guess I will be forced to switch to Ubuntu like everybody else, so Microsoft will have a lot to lose.

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Neil » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Hey truffy, once you make the move to Linux you are going to be wondering "why didn't I do this 5 years ago"? It doesn't get much better than running a modern, fast, secure, stable OS on older hardware. Always brings a smile to my face. :D

But, I doubt that Microsoft will miss either of use...
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

truffy

#5 Post by truffy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 am

Neil wrote:Hey truffy, once you make the move to Linux you are going to be wondering "why didn't I do this 5 years ago"? It doesn't get much better than running a modern, fast, secure, stable OS on older hardware. Always brings a smile to my face. :D

But, I doubt that Microsoft will miss either of use...
Hey Neil, I used the Linux (Ubuntu 9.0) before in my old Pentium 3 computer, I liked it for a while but then when the Ubuntu 10.0 version was upgraded I found it slow and the graphics was not working well, the old Dell desktop computer was at fault though. I may try a dual boot and dual partition with Ubuntu and Windows Vista to keep my old T30 laptop running until it runs out of air to breath.