thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:55 pm 

I have a T60 running Win XP SP3. When I first boot up everything works perfectly. After a while 2 symptoms start occurring. One, as you move the mouse the pointer "freezes" about every 1 second or so for an instant. The other symptom is that if you try to play a video, sounds, or a game, the sound and or image freezes and skips in a similar fashion.

If I look at Task Manager when I first boot up, the CPU Usage is zero. When this problem starts, the Performance grid shows a repeated "saw" pattern where CPU % usage is 0, 27, 26, 18, 0. Just repeated spikes to 27 or 28% over and over. I look at the list of processes and they are no different than when the problem is not occurring. My System Idle is 99% and nothing shows that it is hitting the CPU more than 1%.

I've done a lot of searching and seen many other posts that are similar to this but nothing matches exactly. Being connected to the internet and/or having a browser open has no effect. I ran a scan with MSE and it came up clean.

Thanks in advance,

--Jason

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 pm 

Please give us a little more information :
- are all Windows updates installed ?
- are all Critical and Recommended Lenovo System Updates installed ?
- have you run the free Malwarebytes to remove malware ?
- have you run the free TDSSKiller from Kaspersky to remove rootkit infections ?
- have you temporarily disabled your T60 wireless to see if the cursor jerkiness stops ?
- have you ran a chkdsk to fix any hard drive issues ?

Last edited by GACrabill on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:31 pm 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

It sounds like your system is low on resources. Do you have a lot of free harddrive space? low on ram memory?

You may have a system infected with some malware too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:00 pm 

Thanks GACrabill! I got to #1 on your list and that did it. I had installed all the critical windows updates but not the optional ones. I should have paid more attention to what the updates were so I could try and guess which one cured the problem. TuuS, I considered both your suggestions previously and neither were the case...but thanks too!