Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

My Cooling Modifications to a X41 Tablet, and it's results.

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
ReCreate
Freshman Member

My Cooling Modifications to a X41 Tablet, and it's results.

#1 Post by ReCreate » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:15 am

I've recently re-modded the cooling of my x41 Tablet. If it is of interest to anybody, I have documented it with photos and a written little article viewable here: http://recat.pccloud9.me/blog/2012/01/2 ... un-colder/

For anybody who doesn't want to go there, I'll summarize my efforts here:
My computer would peak at roughly 75 degrees Celsius from only a few minutes of burn-in. I feel that is a bit too hot, So I replaced the relatively crappy alluminum pad and put in some Arctic Silver with a heat-spreader scrapped from an old pentium 4. Now the CPU peaks at much lower temperatures, of only 65C, ten degrees lower! I also plan on under-volting once again. (new motherboard, new CPU, new rules! xP)

I had recently repaired my tabletPC after previously damaging the motherboard irreversibly by replacing it. I'm enjoying this computer once again, Wrote the article with it. Such joy working with these machines.

~ReCat
Proud owner of: IBM A22M, IBM R30, IBM X41T, IBM X60, Lenovo T400, Lenovo X200S ... and Texas Instruments Extensa 512 :)

Soul_Est
Freshman Member

Re: My Cooling Modifications to a X41 Tablet, and it's results.

#2 Post by Soul_Est » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:26 am

That is an excellently, executed mod and very well documented too! :mrgreen: I might just try this mod if I need to for the ThinkPad I'll be getting if it runs too hot. 8)

I have to ask though; why didn't you do the same thing for the SNB+GPU chip? Was it because of clearance issues or that there wasn't a heat-spreader large enough to cover it without accidentally shorting out the chip?
ThinkPads:
Eureka: X200s (7470-5HU), Arch Linux
Mirandra: T22 (Unknown), Arch Linux (deceased)

ReCreate
Freshman Member

#3 Post by ReCreate » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Soul_Est wrote:That is an excellently, executed mod and very well documented too! :mrgreen: I might just try this mod if I need to for the ThinkPad I'll be getting if it runs too hot. 8)

I have to ask though; why didn't you do the same thing for the SNB+GPU chip? Was it because of clearance issues or that there wasn't a heat-spreader large enough to cover it without accidentally shorting out the chip?
Well, Two reasons. First: I didn't have a second heatspreader. x3 Second: It's not necesarry for these do not produce much significant heat. My GPU is currently idling at 40C. Not a problem.

Thanks! Though. Glad to see some feedback after so much time. I tried very hard. x3
Proud owner of: IBM A22M, IBM R30, IBM X41T, IBM X60, Lenovo T400, Lenovo X200S ... and Texas Instruments Extensa 512 :)

Soul_Est
Freshman Member

#4 Post by Soul_Est » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:33 pm

The reason I ask is because I may be purchasing a X200s and while I know the SL9400 and Mobile GS45 that it contains will run sufficiently cool, I would like to keep the system as cool as possible given that I will need to compile code even with a workstation to take up most of the work. As I found a two pack of Pentium 4s going for just over ten dollars, I may just get the set and do the mod if needed after undervolting.

Please keep us posted on how your undervolting endeavours work out. I for one, am very interested in how those old Pentium Ms fair.
ThinkPads:

ReCreate
Freshman Member

#5 Post by ReCreate » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Soul_Est wrote:The reason I ask is because I may be purchasing a X200s and while I know the SL9400 and Mobile GS45 that it contains will run sufficiently cool, I would like to keep the system as cool as possible given that I will need to compile code even with a workstation to take up most of the work. As I found a two pack of Pentium 4s going for just over ten dollars, I may just get the set and do the mod if needed after undervolting.

Please keep us posted on how your undervolting endeavours work out. I for one, am very interested in how those old Pentium Ms fair.
I did it, But didn't get very interesting results. I only reached 0.94 volts on my 1.5Ghz Pentium before instability set in. It decreases the temperatures by about an additional 10-5C and increases battery life by about 10-20 minutes. That's all. I used Notebook Hardware Control. Ability to under-volt varies by every chip manufactured. I wasn't very lucky with mine.

As for your computer, It'll probably be fine, These have largely improved cooling systems. I knew someone with an x200T and he had no problem with having it heavily loaded for long periods of time.

Soul_Est
Freshman Member

#6 Post by Soul_Est » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:22 pm

ReCreate wrote:I did it, But didn't get very interesting results. I only reached 0.94 volts on my 1.5Ghz Pentium before instability set in. It decreases the temperatures by about an additional 10-5C and increases battery life by about 10-20 minutes. That's all. I used Notebook Hardware Control. Ability to under-volt varies by every chip manufactured. I wasn't very lucky with mine.

As for your computer, It'll probably be fine, These have largely improved cooling systems. I knew someone with an x200T and he had no problem with having it heavily loaded for long periods of time.
Even though the undervolting didn't go as you had hoped, a 5-10 degree drop at full load is pretty impressive! I'm quite glad that I shouldn't have to do much work on the X200s aside from getting Arch Linux installed and properly set up on it for the time being.
ThinkPads:

ReCreate
Freshman Member

#7 Post by ReCreate » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Ah. Yes. I guess you're right!