Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Re-assembled T60 LCD display not as sturdy as it should be

T60/T61 Series
Bminus

Re-assembled T60 LCD display not as sturdy as it should be

#1 Post by Bminus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:11 pm

I re-assembled a T60 last night and replaced a display panel since it was cracked.

Since then, I've noticed that it isn't as strong as it should be, even though I followed the Lenovo hardware guide.

Here's a video comparing two nearly identical T60s with each other. (Sorry about recording it vertically)

Code: Select all

http://tinypic.com/r/35arr6s/5
The one I'm referring to is on the right. It warps much easier than the one on the left, which is manufacturer assembled.

I did leave out these:

Code: Select all

http://oi41.tinypic.com/jr658h.jpg
which I don't know where they go since they aren't listed on the guide, but could they possibly have an impact on what's happening?
IBM | RHEL
T61P - T60 - T43
4:3 is the way to be

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Re-assembled T60 LCD display not as sturdy as it should be

#2 Post by TuuS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:39 pm

What kind of screen did you install? normally squeezing the bezel won't put pressure on the LCD like that, the Lenovo LCD (the ones I've seen) all have a metal frame that protects the screen and the bezel had some mild adhesive that holds it onto the frame. If you got a generic screen, then there is probably nothing you can do about it short of returning the screen and getting a genuine one.

Bminus

Re: Re-assembled T60 LCD display not as sturdy as it should be

#3 Post by Bminus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 pm

TuuS wrote:What kind of screen did you install? normally squeezing the bezel won't put pressure on the LCD like that, the Lenovo LCD (the ones I've seen) all have a metal frame that protects the screen and the bezel had some mild adhesive that holds it onto the frame. If you got a generic screen, then there is probably nothing you can do about it short of returning the screen and getting a genuine one.
It's a Genuine Lenovo screen pulled from a donor T60. It had a metal frame and the adhesive that holds onto the bezel.
IBM | RHEL
T61P - T60 - T43
4:3 is the way to be