Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

will new keyboard solve my T410 woes?

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
figaro

will new keyboard solve my T410 woes?

#1 Post by figaro » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:04 am

I had a small coffee spill on the T410 a week ago. A tablespoon or so splashed right around the middle of the keyboard. I'll describe the symptoms below, but my question is a simple one: Will replacing the keyboard likely fix the problems I'm having?

Here's what's happening:

-Mouse button-behavior has been a litle unpredictable ever since, both on the keyboard itself (all four touchpad buttons are a little wonky, with the right-click buttons being the most inconsistent).

-Plugging in a USB mouse is better, but that still is not perfect. Weirdly, clicking on some things (links in browser, for instance) usually works, while clicking on other things (browser tabs, for instance) often does not work. Very unpredictable, though, and erratic. If I right-click repeatedly, it often then resolves the problem, and I get left-click behavior back OK.

-Cursor behavior has been increasingly unpredictable. I spend a lot of time in gmail, and today the cursor started jumping erratically, and the right-click menu will jump up even though I've clicked nothing.

The thing that makes me think a replacement keyboard might NOT fix the problem is the fact that the problems are still there even when using a plug-in USB mouse (i.e., a mouse that was no part of the coffee incident). Going for the $74 replacement keyboard feels like a gamble. I would appreciate any opinions! Thanks.

Brad
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Re: will new keyboard solve my T410 woes?

#2 Post by Brad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

In my opinion replacing the keyboard will solve the problem.

I can send you a new keyboard and if it works keep it and you can pay then.

If the new keyboad doesn't work, just send the keyboard back.

You can send me a PM if you click my profile button.

Brad
Long Island New York
T43p 2669-Q1U, A22p's UTU A21p HXU
Transnote, 770's 8AU, 600, 701CS, 755CD