thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: T420s mouse issue
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 pm 

I noticed something rather strange going on with my T420s. Every time I take it off the docking station Ultranav (both touchpad and trackpad) stop working in Windows 7. It takes 2 (sic) reboots to get them back up. It doesn't matter whether I shut the system down before taking it off.

Last time it refused to work even with USB-mice without a reboot. Is this a hardware problem or just a bad driver issue? I do have a wireless keyboard connected to the dock which I use while the machine is on it too.

Post subject: Re: T420s mouse issue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:32 am 
Freshman Member

Just guessing here but something you can look into.

In the BIOS of the TPs there are docking set ups. However, much is done at boot time and when USB devices are attached. Since you have a wireless keyboard and mouse on the docking station, when you remove the TP from the dock, it doesn't always since that the USB device was removed to remove them from the device table.

I figure this would be hard to do with out a mouse, but what happens in the device table when you remove the TP from the dock? Then what happens when you do a refresh?

The suggestion here is to have the device table up before you un-dock so all you have to do is to do Alt a twice to do a re-scan.

Let us know what you find out.

Post subject: Re: T420s mouse issue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:43 am 

I've checked that before, it appears there is no mice listed in device manager after the system is removed from ds. So I'm guessing it's a driver issue.

Did anybody else hit something similar before?