Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to use an external microphone on X120e?

X100e/X120e/X130e/X140e Series
PaulF1

How to use an external microphone on X120e?

#1 Post by PaulF1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:55 am

I use Dragon Naturally Speaking (DNS) on my desktop. I installed it on my Thinkpad X120e and tried to train DNS using the internal microphone. When I repeated the first training sentence, it showed a bar graph indicating sound received while I was speaking, but DNS kept asking for me to repeat.

I did not expect to get good recognition using the internal microphone, so I plugged the one I use on my desktop into the mini phone-jack on the left side of the X120e. How do I configure the X120e to use my external microphone rather than the internal one?

PaulF

PaulF1

Re: How to use an external microphone on X120e?

#2 Post by PaulF1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:16 pm

From more research, I think I need an adapter to make my mike's PC-style plug compatible with the single combined mike and earphones jack on the X120e, which I think is the same as the jack on most smartphone jacks. The adapter splits out the mike and earphones into two separate jacks. The adapter I ordered is a PC Buddy model PC35-PH35.

Maybe the answer to how to turn off the internal mike is that plugging in the external mike does it automatically. I'll see when I receive the adapter.

PaulF

highvista

Re: How to use an external microphone on X120e?

#3 Post by highvista » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 am

PaulF1 wrote:Maybe the answer to how to turn off the internal mike is that plugging in the external mike does it automatically. I'll see when I receive the adapter.
I use a cellphone headset/microphone and the internal microphone is indeed disabled when I plug in the headset. The internal microphone is pretty much unusable because it picks up fan noise and any typing that you might do during a conversation.
My Thinkpads: T61p, X120e