Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X220 Hackintosh (lion) on MBR partition dual boot Windows 7

OS-X on ThinkPads
tsumi88

Re: X220 Hackintosh (lion) on MBR partition dual boot Windows 7

#31 Post by tsumi88 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:13 am

I understand that I have to install Chameleon on the flash drive but why do I have to install it on my Mac? When I'm installing osx on my x220?

Sorry trying to understand!
Chameleon is the boot loader that allows you to boot into the OS. Otherwise there is nothing to point BIOS to your OS. also comes in handy if you are going to dual boot.
If you dont install it, it wont work :D

cr2250

#32 Post by cr2250 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 pm

When I try to boot off my flash drive that has OSX on it. It just refreshes back to the bios boot device page. Any suggestions?

justin412

#33 Post by justin412 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:00 pm

I have the same problem. I think it is because the installer that I downloaded from the Apple App store is for 10.7.3. Unfortunately, when I try to boot from the USB drive, it crashed too quickly for me to see what is failing in verbose mode.
X61 Tablet 7767-96U | x220 4286CT

tsumi88

#34 Post by tsumi88 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:51 pm

cr2250 wrote:When I try to boot off my flash drive that has OSX on it. It just refreshes back to the bios boot device page. Any suggestions?
you have to be sure to set the disk to MBR on both the USB and the HDD when installing OSX.
This is done with disk utility, before format click options, there you will see the default is set to GUID.
the installer package you copy allows you to install OSX on a drive set to MBR, otherwise it will not allow installation

tsumi88

#35 Post by tsumi88 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi Paul, you need to copy the entire Extra folder in your USB drive to the root of your Mac installation partition.

i did that once before and still got a KP

do i need to "initialize the kexts or anything....
do i really just copy the folder to the root (one does not exist after a fresh install) and install chameleon?

I also tried the
"cp -r NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/(the label of OSX install partition)/Extra/Extensions/"
(changed volumes to LION <the name of the drive>)
but i think it was when i didnt copy the extra folder over....
wish me luck

tsumi88

#36 Post by tsumi88 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:31 pm

cp -r NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/(the label of OSX install partition)/Extra/Extensions/).
no such file or directory

i named my volume LION so my command is
cp -r NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/LION/Extra/Extensions

rkdus

#37 Post by rkdus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:25 pm

very detail guide. Thank you man. I will try when I have time.

rkdus

#38 Post by rkdus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:27 pm

tsumi88 wrote: no such file or directory

i think it will work if you just do copy/paste

justin412

#39 Post by justin412 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:18 pm

tsumi88 wrote:
no such file or directory

Are you in the directory that has the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext file? cd to that directory, then run the command. I had to create the Extensions directory inside the Extra directory before running the following command to get it to work:

Code: Select all

cp -r NullCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/<partition name>/Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

rkdus

#40 Post by rkdus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 am

got it working. thanks

justin412

#41 Post by justin412 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:52 am

I finally managed to get almost everything working. The main problem I'm having now is with sleep. What is happening is when I close the lid of my laptop, it goes to sleep. When I open the lid, it turns on briefly (nothing on the screen, just a flash of the thinklight and the fan spins up) and then turns off immediately. This repeats in a cycle until I pull the battery from my thinkpad. I've tried disabling suspend to disk and tried disabling secure virtual memory, any other ideas out there?

Edit: Finally fixed sleep after disabling Wake On Lan in my BIOS. Everything works great now!
Last edited by justin412 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

digi2012

#42 Post by digi2012 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Hello. I want to first thank you. It seems like I am about 99% done thanks to your guide, however the only part I am stomped on is my x220 will goto sleep, however when it wakes up, the USB ports are inactive and don't work until I do a reboot.

I don't know could be wrong as I have the exact same specs on my x220 as you do.

Do you have any idea? I am no good at DSDT, so please bear with me...

Thanks again,

justin412

#43 Post by justin412 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:00 am

digi2012 wrote:Hello. I want to first thank you. It seems like I am about 99% done thanks to your guide, however the only part I am stomped on is my x220 will goto sleep, however when it wakes up, the USB ports are inactive and don't work until I do a reboot.

I don't know could be wrong as I have the exact same specs on my x220 as you do.

Do you have any idea? I am no good at DSDT, so please bear with me...

Thanks again,
Have you downloaded DSDTSE and added the _DSM method fix to your dsdt.aml?

Simple steps:
Download and install DSDTSE
Open the attached dsdt.aml file and search for Device (EHC1)
copy the entire method _DSM
In DSDTSE, click Extract DSDT
in your dsl file that opens up, if there are two error lines at the top of the file, remove them (they will cause your DSDT not to compile, it should start with a /* comment)
Search again for Device (EHC1) and paste the _DSM method in, placed similarly to the OP's dsdt.aml file
Do the same for Device (EHC2) and then compile. If no errors, install to /Extra

darkzx

#44 Post by darkzx » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:54 am

Hi Justin412,

Could you share how you solved this problem? I am having the same issue with booting from 10.7.3 installation files + chameleon. Thanks.
justin412 wrote:I have the same problem. I think it is because the installer that I downloaded from the Apple App store is for 10.7.3. Unfortunately, when I try to boot from the USB drive, it crashed too quickly for me to see what is failing in verbose mode.

justin412

#45 Post by justin412 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:39 am

Instead of using the Chamelon install that is linked to in the tutorial posted for creating the installer USB stick, I installed the latest version of Chimera from tonymacx86. That got the installer working for me.

yanlusu

#46 Post by yanlusu » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:40 am

hi,
first thx for your guide, and now I have installed os x lion 10.7.3 on my thinkpad x220i, but
because I'm in china with GFW limitation, I cannot visit mediafire website to download these files....
and I have searched web, some kext cannot be found.

so, could you send Extra_USB.tar.gz & Extra_Mac_Part.tar.gz & all other attachement file to me?

my email address: yanlusu@gmail.com

3ks

tsumi88

#47 Post by tsumi88 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:45 pm

so i guess i accidentally unsubscribed from this thread...
I have just given up on the hackintosh idea and gone with my VMware image that is pretty good. I have acquired a wireless keyboard and trackpad and it works GREAT with the VM OSX but as soon as it switches back to the PC side it doesnt work. I know in VMware I tell it to connect to guest (disconnect from host) but is there a way to share it with both???

Also, I still would LOVE to send someone $20 for a working Hackintosh...... Seriously, I have a 500GB i can send you (please dont steal it...) in hopes of getting it back with a working LION install.....
I'm not trying to sound desperate but seriously, every friggin time i install i get a KP after that... X-O
im not an idiot but this is making me feel dumb thats for sure

so.... yea, who else besides the OP got this working 100% as he did??

frankskywalker

#48 Post by frankskywalker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks a lot for the tuitoral, I successfully installed Lion on my x220.
And everything seems fine (using your dsdt) except for the qe/ic part, my resolution is fine(1344x768), but for special effects like when you add widgets there is ripple, I cant enable this with my Lion. and OpenGL test only gets 15 fps avg.
and I google other forum, some says you should add the following code to dsdt to enable qe/ic:
Device (IGD0)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x02)
                        {
                            "device-id",
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x12, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)

should I do as they say? is there codes in your dsdt share the same function as to declare the graphic card? and with your dsdt IORegistry can't recognize the graphic card correctly, but Mac system info shows correct name as HD3000, kind of wired.

would you kindly answer my questions? it would be a great help.

miredesigns

#49 Post by miredesigns » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:18 am

Thanks for posting the DSDT.aml
it worked perfect for me!

however.. the audio is not working for me, even with VoodooHDA I get kernel panics.
So i searched the internet for a proper kext.

The website you said in the OP has another topic about the Connexant CX20672.
And that should be the soundcard in the X220!
I've used google translate to understand the chinese words are and this is what i've found out:

-----------------------------------------------
1, no sonic boom.
2, output, headphone and built-in adaptive.
3, enter the built-in microphone and external microphone adaptive.
3, inside and outside can be a clear recording.
4, sleep wake will not fail.
5 solve mute.
6, add HDMI sound card (unconditionally not test whether, conditional friend to help test.)

At this point, the perfect, quasi-perfect because the external microphone is plugged in the line out, this is no way the white Apple does not support an external microphone disappeared from the panel on the failure to set an external microphone.

Finally, on the attachment. Replace the package all the files inside can be used, and what position to replace APPLEHDA inside position in the package.
Sorry permission is not enough only use the RAR sub-volume compression, best replace and then installed in the LION WIN under decompression.

Note that, when put to use an external microphone to adjust the volume to maximum or large.

X220, I5 sound card machine was CX20590, but for the CX20672 driver under WINDOWS. Enable the device ID in the LION name CX20590.
PS: There are two conditions need friends to help test.
1, is the HDMI sound card test problems, conditional to look at whether it is capable of driving the graphics HDMI sound card.
The theory is not a problem.

2, the start time there will be a prompt to the Sound assertions "0 == hdaGfxCandidate is" failed in AppleHDAController at line 1094 goto the Exit. Is any reason. A friend to help improve the experience.

This sound card test no problem, when ready to write articles more detailed tutorial for the novice like me, a friend, hope all my friends detours, we jointly improve the sharing of experiences. I hope all the friends of the black apple more and more perfect!

Looking forward to your testing and feedback!
-------------------------------------------------------------

The translation isn't perfect but good enough.
The blue text I don't understand, can someone help me out with that?

I've managed to register on the website and download the file from the chinese website.
and here it is:

Link 1:
http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/14879609/file.html

Link 2 (if link one doesn't work):
http://www.peeje.com/files/361751511/CX20672.zip.html

p.s. there's also an DSDT.aml in the file but I don't know if that one works, haven't tested any of these file's yet!

miredesigns

#50 Post by miredesigns » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:56 am

latest BIOS is 1.28

here's a patched whitelist version that has been patched yesterday!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45117524/bios-m ... miloml.exe

many thanks to the patcher!

epalzeo

#51 Post by epalzeo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:46 am

Hi all,

i've got an x220i, everything work but my pb is USB after sleep.
I've made the DSDT usb patch, but after sleep, USB is not recognized anymore, even if i un plug then plug again devices, please i need help :)

Perhaps its a bios config issue, or something else,

i add my dsdt, you'll see the correct usb patch : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... try1808910

Thanks for any help ;)

tekky16

#52 Post by tekky16 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for the awesome guide! I am having trouble getting the DW1515 AR9280 wifi card working with lion 10.7.3. It works in windows, but not in Lion. Is there a different kext we should be installing now, and where can I find it?

Thanks again!

io anarchy oi

#53 Post by io anarchy oi » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Great tutorial.
Lenovo X220 | Intel i5 @ 2.5GHz | 8Gb RAM | iAktos L2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu 12.04

io anarchy oi

#54 Post by io anarchy oi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:59 am

I was just wondering about your mbr hack. I've had success using a different method of install on my Lenovo X220. I am also triple booting Lion, Windows and Ubuntu 12.

Is it possible to hack the MBR post installation so that I can update windows?

I installed iAtkos L2 on my X220 and installed Chimera 1.6 as the boot loader. I converted the .dmg file to an .iso using Windows 7 and then installed. I patched the graphics as well using the latest HD3000 Kexts. The problem I run into is booting Windows 7 through Chimera. I am able to boot into Windows if I select Linux at the Chimera screen and then select Windows 7 using the Grub loader on the Linux partition. I would prefer to boot Windows as the primary partition for update purposes Like you have done.

Let me know if you have any ideas.
Lenovo X220 | Intel i5 @ 2.5GHz | 8Gb RAM | iAktos L2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu 12.04

peroxide

#55 Post by peroxide » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 am

Can you tell me more about your partitions?

Most importantly, mark windows 7 partition (or the 100MB partition in front of windows 7, if you have) as active partition in Mac OS. Here is a tutorial: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... opic=22844.
After this, you should be able to load windows 7 directly but not ubuntu or Lion.
Then, there are two methods to enable triple boot:

a) Install EasyBCD in windows 7 and add menu entries for ubuntu and Mac OS, as described in my original post.

b) Use Grub2:
1. Restore Grub2 using ubuntu live CD/USB. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708.
2. Boot into ubuntu, and run update-grub2, which will generate two boot entries (one for 32bit, the other for 64 bit) for MacOS automatically.
3. Change your /boot/grub/grub.cfg to be writable. (sudo chmod +w /boot/grub/grub.cfg)
4. Open /boot/grub/grub.cfg with gedit, delete the menuentry for MacOS 32bit (for cleanness), and modify the menuentry for MacOS 64 bit to be something like:

menuentry "Mac OS X Lion" --class osx --class darwin --class os {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod hfsplus
	set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root ba43552d339bd024
        multiboot /boot
        }
5. Save and reboot, you should be able to triple boot using grub2. Then I think you'll know how to boot windows 7 by default by setting /etc/default/grub or /boot/grub/grub.cfg in ubuntu.

io anarchy oi wrote:I was just wondering about your mbr hack. I've had success using a different method of install on my Lenovo X220. I am also triple booting Lion, Windows and Ubuntu 12.

Is it possible to hack the MBR post installation so that I can update windows?

I installed iAtkos L2 on my X220 and installed Chimera 1.6 as the boot loader. I converted the .dmg file to an .iso using Windows 7 and then installed. I patched the graphics as well using the latest HD3000 Kexts. The problem I run into is booting Windows 7 through Chimera. I am able to boot into Windows if I select Linux at the Chimera screen and then select Windows 7 using the Grub loader on the Linux partition. I would prefer to boot Windows as the primary partition for update purposes Like you have done.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

io anarchy oi

#56 Post by io anarchy oi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for getting back to me. Partitions are as follows:

1.) iAtkos L2- 100GB
2.) Ubuntu 12- 40GB
3.) Windows 7- 180GB

I will try your suggestion.

My only other issue is that the two USB ports on the left side of the X220 are not working. The one on the front right is working correctly.

I also would like to get the dimming feature working, but have zero experience editing a dsdt file. I get an error 4096 when I try to compile the dsdt. I'll post the error in a minute.

io anarchy oi

#57 Post by io anarchy oi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:34 am

This is the error message I get when I compile the dsdt file.

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20091214 [Dec 16 2009]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

/Users/anarchy/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 1: ACPI ATRB, 32,
Error 4096 - ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_NAMESEG, expecting PARSEOP_DEFINITIONBLOCK

ASL Input: /Users/anarchy/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 14622 lines, 485540 bytes, 0 keywords
Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

peroxide

#58 Post by peroxide » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Please see post #2 (updates to the original post).

frankskywalker wrote:Thanks a lot for the tuitoral, I successfully installed Lion on my x220.
And everything seems fine (using your dsdt) except for the qe/ic part, my resolution is fine(1344x768), but for special effects like when you add widgets there is ripple, I cant enable this with my Lion. and OpenGL test only gets 15 fps avg.
and I google other forum, some says you should add the following code to dsdt to enable qe/ic:
Device (IGD0)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x02)
                        {
                            "device-id",
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x12, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    Return (Local0)

should I do as they say? is there codes in your dsdt share the same function as to declare the graphic card? and with your dsdt IORegistry can't recognize the graphic card correctly, but Mac system info shows correct name as HD3000, kind of wired.

would you kindly answer my questions? it would be a great help.

peroxide

#59 Post by peroxide » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:31 pm

delete the first two line in the dsdt, i.e.

ACPI Warning: NsLookup: Type mismatch on BFWB (RegionField), searching for (Buffer) (20091214/nsaccess-731)
ACPI Warning: NsLookup: Type mismatch on BFWB (RegionField), searching for (Buffer) (20091214/nsaccess-731)
and try again.

This is not dsdt code, but generated by DSDTSE.

io anarchy oi wrote:This is the error message I get when I compile the dsdt file.

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20091214 [Dec 16 2009]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

/Users/anarchy/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 1: ACPI ATRB, 32,
Error 4096 - ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_NAMESEG, expecting PARSEOP_DEFINITIONBLOCK

ASL Input: /Users/anarchy/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 14622 lines, 485540 bytes, 0 keywords
Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

peroxide

#60 Post by peroxide » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:43 pm

You need to add the following _DSM method to the Device(EHC1) and Device(EHC2). I put the code in between Name (_PR2, Package (0x01) and Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)

{
                    Store (Package (0x0D)
                        {
                            "AAPL,clock-id", 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x01
                            }, 

"built-in", 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x00
                            }, 

"device_type", 
                            Buffer (0x05)
                            {
                                "UHCI"
                            }, 

"AAPL,current-available", 
                            0x04B0, 
                            "AAPL,current-extra", 
                            0x02BC, 
                            "AAPL,current-in-sleep", 
                            0x03E8, 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x00
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    Return (Local0)
                }

io anarchy oi wrote:Thanks for getting back to me. Partitions are as follows:

1.) iAtkos L2- 100GB
2.) Ubuntu 12- 40GB
3.) Windows 7- 180GB

I will try your suggestion.

My only other issue is that the two USB ports on the left side of the X220 are not working. The one on the front right is working correctly.

I also would like to get the dimming feature working, but have zero experience editing a dsdt file. I get an error 4096 when I try to compile the dsdt. I'll post the error in a minute.