thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:18 pm 
Offline
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:08 pm
Posts: 1149
Location: Lansing, MI
Quote:
How many customers will buy this camera ?
Not many at a body only suggested price of $3,499. I assume it’s a product targeting professional photographers.

Similarly, 1995 pricing for the TP 701 was not targeted at mainstream consumers. If you really needed a lightweight machine back then, $4,000 to $5,000 wasn’t out of line. http://www.businessweek.com/1996/08/b346311.htm
Quote:
I told you so <snip> 1080p IPS displays on both 13.3-inch and 11.6-inch Asus ultrabooks
$1,050 for the UX21A and $1,100 for the UX31A. Problem solved. No, wait: the keyboard is backlit and described as having a "seamless chiclet" design.

_________________
I used to be an anarchist but I quit because there were too many rules


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:14 pm 
Offline
Admin
Admin

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:09 am
Posts: 3836
Location: Sydney, Australia - Best Address on Earth!
khtse wrote:
Now, every an idiot would notice that the display on his/her iPad looks so much better than that on his/her laptop....

Consumers are are clearly a lot smarter than you give them credit for :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:21 am 
Offline
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:52 am
Posts: 1469
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Another HP model with 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS panel (glossy) - HP Envy 15-3040nr http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy-15 ... 051.0.html

Still no reason for Lenovo to reborn workstation ThinkPad model having ugly-free display ? Oh wait, the "work" part is the problem, notebooks are no longer considered as equipment for working, it is device made exclusively for watching HD movies and commenting them on facebook :)

_________________
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:39 am 
Offline
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:20 am
Posts: 5606
Location: Israel
Puppy wrote:
Oh wait, the "work" part is the problem, notebooks are no longer considered as equipment for working, it is device made exclusively for watching HD movies and commenting them on facebook :)
I would love to have an IPS screen for that! (minus the Facebook, since I don't have an account)

_________________
Current: X220 4291-4BG, T410 2537-R46, T60 1952-F76, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X61 7673-V2V
Collectibles: X32 w/ IPS Screen, A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad
Past: Z61t 9440-A23, T60 2623-D3U, X32 2884-M5U


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:07 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator

Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 1:33 pm
Posts: 4138
Location: Minnesota
That's good, then your prospective employer can't ask you for facebook log in, though not having one may make you seem odd.

_________________
Latitude 14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:45 pm 
Offline
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:52 am
Posts: 1469
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
ZaZ wrote:
though not having one may make you seem odd.
Neither have I. I also don't have a mobile phone because I found it disturbing (and local services are overpriced - most expensive in EU with the worst coverage)

_________________
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:26 pm 
Offline
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:08 pm
Posts: 1075
Location: Hong Kong
Odd? Not. It may even be an advantage during interview process because the potential employer knows you won't be wasting time getting to know what your buddies have for breakfast during work.

Back on topic, we may indeed be seeing higher resolution screens. Rumours have it that the next MacBook will spot a double-resolution screen (Could it be IPS as well?) and Windows 8 is going to have better support for scaling.

Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:45 pm 
Offline
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:20 am
Posts: 5606
Location: Israel
loyukfai wrote:
Odd? Not. It may even be an advantage during interview process because the potential employer knows you won't be wasting time getting to know what your buddies have for breakfast during work.
Plenty of other ways to waste time on the internet. :)

loyukfai wrote:
Back on topic, we may indeed be seeing higher resolution screens. Rumours have it that the next MacBook will spot a double-resolution screen (Could it be IPS as well?)
With all the rumours about IPS in Macbooks that have been going on for several generations, and considering the fact that Apple has demonstrated both the want and the ability to obtain IPS screens for their phones, tablets and desktop LCDs, one has to wonder why they still haven't got a single Macbook with an IPS screen. At this point I would not be surprised at all to see one.

_________________
Current: X220 4291-4BG, T410 2537-R46, T60 1952-F76, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X61 7673-V2V
Collectibles: X32 w/ IPS Screen, A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad
Past: Z61t 9440-A23, T60 2623-D3U, X32 2884-M5U


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:27 am 
Offline
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 9:54 am
Posts: 2342
Location: near RTP, NC
dr_st wrote:
With all the rumours about IPS in Macbooks that have been going on for several generations, and considering the fact that Apple has demonstrated both the want and the ability to obtain IPS screens for their phones, tablets and desktop LCDs, one has to wonder why they still haven't got a single Macbook with an IPS screen.


Because yields for extremely-high-res, laptop-sized IPS panels suck?

_________________
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? Catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Code:
Current laptop: X200s/X201 hybrid
Current workstation: none


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:12 am 
Offline
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:20 am
Posts: 5606
Location: Israel
ThinkRob wrote:
Because yields for extremely-high-res, laptop-sized IPS panels suck?
They really suck? But for iPad-size even more high-res and much higher-DPI - they are OK? How come?

_________________
Current: X220 4291-4BG, T410 2537-R46, T60 1952-F76, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X61 7673-V2V
Collectibles: X32 w/ IPS Screen, A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad
Past: Z61t 9440-A23, T60 2623-D3U, X32 2884-M5U


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 am 
Offline
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:08 pm
Posts: 1075
Location: Hong Kong
dr_st wrote:
Plenty of other ways to waste time on the internet. :)


Like posting on thinkpads.com, haha! 8)

IPS screens cost more than TN screens, no doubt about that. Perhaps the price difference has come down a little bit over the years, and the cost of LCD screens regardless of technology has gone down a lot as well - A >20" IPS desktop monitor costs 200USD these days. That's almost half of the price of 5-year ago.

I think the question is - Are we at the point for the next step in screen technology in the consumer market? The answer seems to be yes with the new iPad being the harbinger. Of course, it's (IMO) an evolution step that will play out over many years, and likely to remain a niche market for some time.

Besides, one have to mind that, besides manufacturing cost, IPS screens consumes more power than her TN counterparts. It could be a significant factor that hinders its adoption on mobile devices.

At the same time, the new iPad screen is not all positives either - Because of the higher pixel density, it needs more LED for backlight and therefore has higher heat output, consumes more power and needs a bigger/higher-density battery, which contributed to the increased weight and thickness compared to that of iPad 2.

Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:56 pm 
Offline
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:52 am
Posts: 1469
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
loyukfai wrote:
- IPS screens cost more than TN screens
- IPS screens consumes more power than her TN counterparts.
Both issues have been addressed by e-IPS (economy IPS) display technology. The e-IPS is worse than "full-featured" IPS (P-IPS today) but still far better than ugly TN. That's why it's been developed.

_________________
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:26 am 
Offline
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 9:54 am
Posts: 2342
Location: near RTP, NC
dr_st wrote:
They really suck? But for iPad-size even more high-res and much higher-DPI - they are OK? How come?


Well you'll note that the small screen of the iPhone was the first to be replaced by a "retina" display...

I'm *far* from an expert on LCD tech, but from what I've been told defect rates generally are proportional to the size of the display (both physically, and resolution-wise). This was part of the reason why the T220 was ungodly expensive, and is also part of the reason why while a 9.7" high-res panel can be produced with good enough yields, laptop-sized (let alone desktop-sized) panels still have too low a yield to make them cost-effective for most applications.

_________________
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? Catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Code:
Current laptop: X200s/X201 hybrid
Current workstation: none


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:23 am 
Offline
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:20 am
Posts: 5606
Location: Israel
But there are plenty of IPS LCDs in 22"+ desktop size, as well as 32"+ televisions. It just doesn't make sense to me that they are cost-effective in small sizes and large sizes, but somehow not in medium (laptop) sizes.

_________________
Current: X220 4291-4BG, T410 2537-R46, T60 1952-F76, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X61 7673-V2V
Collectibles: X32 w/ IPS Screen, A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad
Past: Z61t 9440-A23, T60 2623-D3U, X32 2884-M5U


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:50 am 
Offline
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:08 pm
Posts: 1075
Location: Hong Kong
Puppy wrote:
Both issues have been addressed by e-IPS (economy IPS) display technology. The e-IPS is worse than "full-featured" IPS (P-IPS today) but still far better than ugly TN. That's why it's been developed.


Thanks for the heads-up.

There's a difference though, between something that had been developed, to start appearing in the market, to being adopted en masse.

Depending on how we define the term "soon", and how LG's claims are being fulfilled, this could range from something utterly meaningless to something revolutionary...

Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:22 am 
Offline
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 9:54 am
Posts: 2342
Location: near RTP, NC
dr_st wrote:
But there are plenty of IPS LCDs in 22"+ desktop size, as well as 32"+ televisions. It just doesn't make sense to me that they are cost-effective in small sizes and large sizes, but somehow not in medium (laptop) sizes.


Oh, absolutely. Just not at the pixel densities of the "retina" displays.

And yes, yields on more traditional displays have the same issues. That's part of the reason why a 30" monitor with the same pixel density as a 20" one costs a lot more than a 30" 1080p TV. It's just that even though the yields on that 30" display might suck, they're not so bad as to make it impractical... just pricey.

My previous wording was rather poor. I should have clarified: the yield is proportional to both the physical size and the resolution. Large, low-density (aka. LCD TVs), good enough yields. Small, high-density (aka. iPhone), recently good enough. Large, high-density? Not yet.

_________________
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? Catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Code:
Current laptop: X200s/X201 hybrid
Current workstation: none


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 am 
Offline
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:20 am
Posts: 5606
Location: Israel
I sort of begin to see your point now. I guess it is theoretically possible that the two-variable function yield=f(size,density) is somehow quite low specifically for the sizes and densities of laptop screens. I just find it not very likely, but I don't have any data to back it up. We'll just wait and see.

_________________
Current: X220 4291-4BG, T410 2537-R46, T60 1952-F76, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X61 7673-V2V
Collectibles: X32 w/ IPS Screen, A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad
Past: Z61t 9440-A23, T60 2623-D3U, X32 2884-M5U


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 pm 
Offline
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 9:54 am
Posts: 2342
Location: near RTP, NC
dr_st wrote:
I sort of begin to see your point now. I guess it is theoretically possible that the two-variable function yield=f(size,density) is somehow quite low specifically for the sizes and densities of laptop screens. I just find it not very likely, but I don't have any data to back it up. We'll just wait and see.

I imagine that the demand is also a factor. Then again, I don't have any data to back it up either. :D

_________________
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? Catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Code:
Current laptop: X200s/X201 hybrid
Current workstation: none


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:52 pm 
Offline
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:08 pm
Posts: 1075
Location: Hong Kong
There's a post on liliputing of some Intel slides that the company is expecting the arrival of "retina display" level LCD in laptop and desktop starting from 2013+.

According to the resolutions and assuming square pixel, the ratio varies between 16:10 to 16:9.

Cheers.

Ref: http://liliputing.com/2012/04/intel-ret ... -2013.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 5:41 am
Posts: 19
Location: Assendelft, the Netherlands
http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/120413.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 am 
Offline
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:52 am
Posts: 1469
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Another one - Sony Vaio VPC-SE2M9E/B (1920x1080 pixel, IPS, glossy: no) http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Son ... 834.0.html

HP, Dell and Sony have workstation models with IPS panels. Lenovo, still no response ?

_________________
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:25 am 
Offline
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:26 pm
Posts: 1515
Location: TX, USA & Bombay, India
loyukfai wrote:
There's a post on liliputing of some Intel slides that the company is expecting the arrival of "retina display" level LCD in laptop and desktop starting from 2013+.

According to the resolutions and assuming square pixel, the ratio varies between 16:10 to 16:9.

Cheers.

Ref: http://liliputing.com/2012/04/intel-ret ... -2013.html


Win8: High Resolution Retina Laptops, Thinkpad & Tablet PCs?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012 ... reens.aspx

I have to thank Apple for the Retina display. Some is making the market go towards real High Resolution displays, like how Thinkpads with SXGA+/ UXGA/ QXGA used to be.

I'd love to see these outlined resolutions & sizes in the future. Hopefully, they also touch the 13/14" segment with the High Resolution Slates with Add on USB+BlueTooth Keyboards that have Thinkpad like FEEL/ MECHANISM.

Well.. this would make leave Thinkpads. I wish we could Petition the Thinkpad Design team to WAKE UP!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57434 ... port-says/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57434 ... nd-pricey/

_________________
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI
X61T 7767-96U: 12.1"SXGA+/1.6C2D/3G/Vista|Ultrabase
W510 4319-2PU: 15.6"FHD/i7-720QM/4G/Win7Pro64 (for dad)
T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:47 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:26 am
Posts: 349
Every site is claiming that their sources confirmed that the new macbook pro this summer will have "retina" display.

There are some new thinkpad announcement this week, in particular that X230 will have 1600 x 900 display as option. Not sure if that 1600x900 is IPS or not... I hope we don't have to choose between IPS and high-res... Not exactly as Retina-ish as Apple/Asus/Sony's offerings, but at least a small step forward.

Oh that new X1 Carbon is sexy... but from some hand-on photos it seems to have some TN-panel with not-so-great view angle (again).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dekks and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group