Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thank you Heaven for this IBM ThinkPad T20 - but

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
GJCINO

Thank you Heaven for this IBM ThinkPad T20 - but

#1 Post by GJCINO » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:25 pm

...There seems to be a heat build-up issue.

The computer boots up fine and runs fine except it shuts off after about 30 minutes and will not come back on until it has cooled.

Under an air conditioned room it stays on for about an hour and does the same thing [shuts off and will not come back on until it is cooled which usually takes 8 hours]!

Seeing that this laptop is around 10 years old it is not surprising that the circuit that removes the heat may have become bad in some way.

Originally it only stayed on for maybe 10 minutes until I installed a boosted fan which draws its power from an external 12V source.

Anyways, for the most part I can deal with working on this laptop for an hour each day at the maximum.
It is going to be freezing. :D

I also tried to use the LAN however it is not detecting the internet for some reason.
I connected the LAN cable to another computer and it works fine;
How would I change the computer hex address for the internet in Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional?
I know some internet service provider is set to one computer hex address.
Thank you Jesus Christ.
I know you came down to save me

GJCINO

Re: Thank you Heaven for this IBM ThinkPad T20 - but

#2 Post by GJCINO » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:20 am

I can deal with the short use of an hour each day.

The internet problem seems to hav been solved;
According to the BIOS specifications there is no LAN adapter installed!

Oh well.
I cannot expect too much from a ten year old laptop hehe
:)
Thank you Jesus Christ.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#3 Post by BillMorrow » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:12 am

i don't recall much about the T20's BUT IRT the heat death issue, have you thought about looking into the thermal compound..?
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

GJCINO

#4 Post by GJCINO » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:20 am

:?: I am not sure about the thermal compound. Is it the white paste that you apply between the fan and the chip? I noticed that it was hard for the most part and dried up. Is this what you are talking about? Is this why it shuts off?

Thank you for your quick reply! :o
Thank you Jesus Christ.

GJCINO

#5 Post by GJCINO » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:39 am

Thank you again.

I just looked into it.

It turns out that this may be the answer that I am looking for.

I will let you know whenever I get around to applying it if I feel like opening up the laptop again!hehe :)
Thank you Jesus Christ.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:00 am

Your laptop is just overheating.
Remove the CPU cooler, clean off all the old gunk from both CPU and cooler, using e.g. Isopropyl alcohol.
Use a can of compressed air or similar, to blow out the dustbunnies from the fan.
Stop the fan itself from spinning during this blowout, otherwise it could over-rev.
Apply Arctic Silver 5 or similar thermal paste.
AS5 in the size of a rice corn, spread out evenly on top of only the small CPU rectangle, is enough.

Replace the miniPCI modem card with a combo-card, like http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Com-10-100-56K ... 0223756432
and you'll also have ethernet.
(in the middle bay underneath the laptop, just unscrew the lid).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

GJCINO

#7 Post by GJCINO » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:46 am

Thank you for your help. I will keep you posted as to my progress. Currently, I am waiting for some funds to come in because I depend on my parents.
Thank you Jesus Christ.

GJCINO

#8 Post by GJCINO » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:42 am

I was able to borrow some funds from my family. I have order all three items so wish me luck.

1. LAN chip
2. Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound
3. ArctiClean thermal remover and surface prep

I hope that after all is said and done my precious IBM Thinkpad T20 will last for the rest of my life...at least I can dream!hehe :lol:

I have a weird sense of humour... sorry.

Thank you for putting up with me and helping me out!
Thank you Jesus Christ.

ac12
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by ac12 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:02 pm

If you use an internet router/firewall, you don't have to worry about the MAC address of your computer. The ISP sees the MAC address of the router and that is all he sees. Everything behind the router/firewall is supposedly invisible to him.

This is a combination router/wireless access point.
http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Router ... ewprod.htm

One thing to be aware of, many ISPs don't support the use of a router. When you call tech support for a problem, they will have you connect the computer directly to the modem (bypassing the router). That is because there are a variety of issues that a router can cause, and they don't know the troubleshooting methods for all the different brands and models out there.

GJCINO

#10 Post by GJCINO » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:21 am

Well... the tracking is not being updated for the last 24 hours so I do not know if I will get the items. If it does not come then that is $50 down the drain. Oh well... people forgave me for my charged off loans so I have no choice except to do the same. I forgive them for not giving me my items. Anyways. Since I am not getting my supplies, so much for repairing the laptop any time soon. Maybe I will never get to repair it!hehe Oh well. Goes to show an imperfect world. I guess I have to buy another laptop if I need it instead of messing with the old stuff. It is HEAVEN's will that whatever should happen will happen and there is no discussion about it. Anyways, I am bored. I have cleaned the old thermal compound off of the chip and heatsink completely. It looks like new now. The computer actually works for an hour and 53 minutes on idle. Unfortunately once the chip is asked to do a job like install a program, it reaches shut off temperature within 10 minutes. So much for miracles. hehe

Anyways - thanks for all your help.
Thank you Jesus Christ.

Eric Giles

#11 Post by Eric Giles » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:54 am

It's only been two days since you placed the order, and tracking information doesn't always update on a daily basis. No need to worry-I'm sure your items will arrive soon.
I lost count...

GJCINO

#12 Post by GJCINO » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:13 am

Thank you for reassurance... I guess I have been doing so much work on preparing for the process of applying the compound that I forgot how little time has passed!hehe Thank you also for your input on the tracking because I micromanage things. I try to be a perfectionist all the time and I know that things do not always go on my schedule.

Anyways - it is the weekend so I should be relaxing and resting up for the week ahead! It will be a lot of work seeing that the break in period is about 200 hours for Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. For those who do not know - this is mainly non electrical transferring compound. However the Material Safety Data Sheet says it does have a slight far off chance of being transferring. So better be safe than sorry! Actually - the Arctic Silver 5 website has a lot of information on proper preparation and application of the paste.

I just ask you all put up with me while I go through the entire process. This is my first time applying thermal paste so I am not even sure it will work. It seems to have this magical property of reducing temperature drastically by up to 12 degrees celcius? Yet it is like a liquid. It seems impossible that a liquid could have that much of a cooling affect and effect! I have to see it to believe it for myself!!!!!!!!!!hehe

As for the router combo - Thank you as well
Thank you Jesus Christ.

ac12
Sophomore Member

#13 Post by ac12 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:29 pm

The Arctic Silver does not absorb the heat by itself.
It improves the heat conduction from the chip to the heat sink.
So the heatsink and fan are important components in the thermal management, without them the Arctic Silver is of no use.

I do not remember what program I used, but there is a small program that will let you manage the fan. I ran it on my T23 and it seemed to help.

nikki605

#14 Post by nikki605 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Are you thinking of TP Fan Control perhaps?

:arrow: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=18067
Gary A.

lenovo: T490 (20N20028US) | i7-8565U | 16GB | 512GB SSD | FHD LED | WiFi 9560 | Bluetooth | Webcam | Win10 Pro x64 | Full System Specs

GJCINO

#15 Post by GJCINO » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:52 pm

I checked my tracking and the update has finally arrived. It will be next week sometimes hopefully. What a relief the ball was not dropped so to speak so far. I have to apologize because these mailings have countless people not just me. Somehow they manage to sort it all out - Thank Heaven!

Worst comes to worst I am getting everything at the local store hehe. Well I am in need of rest this weekend so I am glad for this break. I will probably be tired out next week again though.

I always like to remind myself and others how grateful I am for your help even if it does not work. So 'Thank you!'
Thank you Jesus Christ.

ac12
Sophomore Member

#16 Post by ac12 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes it was TP Fan Control.
I recommend that you download and install it.

GJCINO

#17 Post by GJCINO » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Well... the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste came in today. I do not know if it is the real thing since it was not in a wrapper. It might have been used and then resold. I am not sure since it came with just a tube and unsealed. So I do not know how good it is. Anyways, I am not sure if I have to let the paste set. I applied the paste in the size of an uncooked rice. Then I spread it evenly in all directions. After that, I let the heatsink smush out the rest so it is between the CPU and the fan. It seems to be cooling faster; However, it is does not seem to carry away enough heat to keep the laptop on. I am installing an operating system and it seems that a room temperature of 75 degrees fehrenheit still is not cool enough for it. I am thinking it could be another issue. Maybe there is an overload somewhere and it shuts off after that point is reached. There is a streak of white strip half an inch wide from top to bottom of the screen on the left side. I believe this was due to the fact that there was once a drip of water on the chip and it has never dried. Anyways... I have pretty much given up. I have done a lot of research however I am no technician. I thought it was something simple as having to apply a puddy. hehe

I guess I will keep the laptop as a museum piece. I like collecting everything even if it does not work. My mother works hard and I do not like to waste her money by just throwing it out. Anyways - Thank you everybody for helping me out. It was a good try. The laptop is just too old. It had Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional on it underneath. That goes to show how old it is [more than a decade]. Anyways - you never know. Maybe after a day of settling it might work! Wishing thinking again!
Thank you Jesus Christ.

ac12
Sophomore Member

#18 Post by ac12 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:37 pm

I have a feeling that either the fan is not working, or the heatsink is clogged with dust. Clean both the fan and heatsink.
Install TP Fan Control. It will verify that the fan is running and run the fan at the appropriate times.

The white strip on the screen is a problem.
Even if you get the CPU running w/o shutting down, the white strip will make using the computer a problem.

You are correct, at a certain point you have to draw a line and say "enough money spent on the old computer."

skou
Sophomore Member

#19 Post by skou » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:24 pm

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but the T20 heatsink is made to use a rubber-looking spacer between the CPU and the heatsink. The T21 and T22 are a bit different, in that the heatsink will sit right on the CPU. The T20 heatsink will have a gap between the CPU and heatsink, without that rubber-looking spacer.

The way to tell the difference, the holes for the mounting screws on the T20 are just drilled (cast in?) holes. The holes for the screws on a T21-22 heatsink have brass inserts, that are spring-loaded. The T21-22 heatsinks are perfect replacement items on a T20, and will bolt right on.

Any thermal grease will work on these, even the cheap rat shack stuff. AS5 is, however, GREAT!

steve

GJCINO

#20 Post by GJCINO » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:02 am

Thank you kind people. Unfortunately or unlucky for me... Heaven has a different fate and destiny for me. I am no good at electronics seeing that it has not progressed at all for me. I am one to stick with the tried and true. I believe in keeping with the original parts. If it is a T20 then I believe in my humble point of view that a T20 part must be used. However --- you electronic hobbyist and experts can do a lot with your knowledge and are probably happy. Like I said, I am just a nobody trying to be good at something. Thank you to Heaven that I have a working spare that does not need any tinkering as an acquaintance of mine once cautioned me. "Do not tinker" - my friendly acquaintance. hehe Oh well - $50 is not too shabby to lose. It is only like food in my belly hehe :lol:
Thank you Jesus Christ.

GJCINO

Thank Heaven I have isolated the problem -

#21 Post by GJCINO » Sat May 05, 2012 3:49 pm

It seems lowering my room temperature to approximately 60 degrees Fahrenheit cools it enough to allow me to re-install the original operating system [Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP4].

Originally, my normal room temperature of 75 degrees F or so must have been too hot for it.

Therefore, the problem has been solved. It is the room temperature that must be kept down. The lower the temperature, the more time I have of using the laptop!

However - I managed to clean the surface enough to have a very good surface to surface contact without a TIM. I am not very good at applying the thermal interface material [Arctic Silver 5]. Therefore, I went without it. The bare metal to metal contact transfer heat quickly so it must be in good contact lucky for me.

It is all luck! I know it is the temperature that is the problem now because I have been able to replicate the condition. Fortunately, there is a spare because I am not going to be sitting there in the cold unless it is winter and I have no heat.hehe :)
Last edited by GJCINO on Sat May 05, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Jesus Christ.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#22 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat May 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Get real, please! Heaven does NOT supply cooling!
Laptops need proper cooling.
If yours is a T20 fan, then you need the thermal pad (and no thermal paste), regardless of your room temperature.
Using the T21/T22 cooler, you need thermal paste.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

skou
Sophomore Member

#23 Post by skou » Sat May 05, 2012 8:07 pm

If I can get religious here;

Reminds me of the ironical "joke" I heard once.

Guy dies and goes to heaven, being a highly
religious person, and thought that the Almighty
would save him from his diseases.

Guy says to God, I thought that you would help me.

God says, what about the 4 doctors I sent to you,
which you chose not to follow?

Now, can I interest you in the correct cooler?
The T20 was designed and built by humans,
and they decided to update the cooler on the
T21 and 22, since the 20 model wasn't good
enough. Luckily, it is a direct replacement
for the T20.

steve

GJCINO

#24 Post by GJCINO » Sat May 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Sorry... I will have to ask you all to put up with my humble attitude to the Holy power! Thank you for offering your help. I know there are proper ways to do things however I am not very good at it. That is why I dropped out of school.

The only thing that I am good at is that I managed to read the entire HOLY BIBLE once and so I am religious. Even though Jesus Christ does not give me everything on a silver platter that I know of - I still am fearful and do my best to life an upright lifestyle.

Back to cooling: Oh well... I installed the wrong chip or something because my IBM ThinkPad T20 is no longer booting up after installing the LAN chip! It boots up to a blank screen and the fan kicks in. I do not know ... I am not anymore than an overgrown kid playing with electronics with the knowledge that I learned from an electronics book that my father bought for me years ago.

Well... credit goes to Heaven first, then to my parents for spending all these tidbits here and there on small projects! I should really go back to school for electronics seeing how interested I am in it. Actually, I might get bored if the laptop works hehe

Thank to everyone for helping out again. I know you have been helping me out all along. My parent just paid back my cousin for loaning me $50 for this project that has failed. At least I learn to stick with the laptop that does work and just be humble that there are engineers and electronics professional out there that does this for a living.
Thank you Jesus Christ.

robert213

Re: Thank Heaven I have isolated the problem -

#25 Post by robert213 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:36 pm

GJCINO wrote: However - I managed to clean the surface enough to have a very good surface to surface contact without a TIM. I am not very good at applying the thermal interface material [Arctic Silver 5]. Therefore, I went without it.
What stopped you from using the Arctic Silver 5 paste? You just need a drop about 3/16 inch long.

my IBM ThinkPad T20 is no longer booting up after installing the LAN chip
Remove it, then ask if someone has a spare to send you. There are many generous folks here that understand your financial situation.

I am not anymore than an overgrown kid playing with electronics
Isn't everyone?
TuuS-built T61: T8100 2.1 GHz, SXGA+, NVS140M, Patriot 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800, Samsung 840 Pro; Thinkpad T30: P4M 1.8 GHz, HYNIX 512 MB PC2700S DDR, Hitachi Travelstar 7K100; SilverStone Raven RVS01; 97 Volvo 850-R, 85 Mitsubishi Starion-ES, Keilwerth SX-90R, Ensoniq TS-12, Kawai EP-608

GJCINO

#26 Post by GJCINO » Wed May 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi. I have to be honest with everyone. I am considered bipolar and I am disabled. So I stay home for the most part. I am not a perfect person even though I wish that I were. Thank you for all your help. I am truly humbled to all the people that Jesus Christ made!

I know some of you may not be religious so please excuse me that I try to be religious. Please do not take it as an offense! I am truly fearful of Jesus Christ.

Anyways, I removed the LAN chip and it is still not working.

I could not ask anyone to send me a laptop when I already have a working spare. My uncle Thomas Vu who is a private doctor in San Antonio has loaned me a spare. I do not know how I will ever be able to repay him because I am not able to work.

I owe you all. Thank you!

Thank you Jesus Christ. Thank you for all these kind people!

I am content to just download movies all day long and watch them on my spare laptop. I am sure my family will get me a chip netbook if it breaks down! :D
Thank you Jesus Christ.

robert213

#27 Post by robert213 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:04 pm

GJCINO wrote:I am truly fearful of Jesus Christ.
I am not sure why you chose to use the word "fearful". As you already know, there is a sense of calmness and contentment by building a relationship with Jesus Christ.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV
John 3:16-21
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned...

21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV
John 14:23-24
23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
I wish that I could offer more help with your T20.
TuuS-built T61: T8100 2.1 GHz, SXGA+, NVS140M, Patriot 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800, Samsung 840 Pro; Thinkpad T30: P4M 1.8 GHz, HYNIX 512 MB PC2700S DDR, Hitachi Travelstar 7K100; SilverStone Raven RVS01; 97 Volvo 850-R, 85 Mitsubishi Starion-ES, Keilwerth SX-90R, Ensoniq TS-12, Kawai EP-608

GJCINO

#28 Post by GJCINO » Thu May 10, 2012 12:02 am

Thank you for that teaching. I continue to be humbled to Jesus Christ because I am a sinner. I have done much wrong in my life. Even though I try to read THE HOLY BIBLE every day and have been baptized Christian, I am ashamed of my past. I am too ashamed to talk about it!

Since accepting Jesus Christ as my savior, I do feel calm. However, it does not free me from my past. It is something I have to live with! I know that Jesus Christ helps me because of all the help I get from kind strangers.

I am not successful, however, I am happy to see family are! My parents work hard for every little thing they get. It is a pleasure to hear people offer their help. Thank Jesus Christ to you all.
Thank you Jesus Christ.

skou
Sophomore Member

#29 Post by skou » Thu May 10, 2012 12:15 am

Just as I wouldn't want to hear how to rebuild a T2* at church, I don't think a
saved person would have a better (or worse) time fixing a laptop, by
following advice that they recieved here.

Now, if you want to get your T20 running, get the updated heatsink-fan,
before you fry your processor. At the very least, get some thermal grease
on your CPU, and make SURE it is touching the bottom of the HS.

I tried this once. Removed the HS, licked on my thumb, and fired up a T20,
sing a real docking station's power switch, with my thumb on the top of
the CPU. Took about 2 seconds before I couldn't stand the temps. The
machine still didn't shut down! (Intel makes some SERIOUS CPUs with thermal
protection!) That is why your machine shuts off. It's heating up!

If you are still running a T20 style HS (heatsink) without the rubbery pad,
you ahve a gap between the top of the CPU and the base of the HS, that
you can stick a paper match in. Yes, Intel has overtemp protection in that CPU,
but it will only last so long. Eventually, you'll FRY that processor!

Believing in the Almighty or not, nothing will prevent that.
(And yes! I DO believe!)

steve

GJCINO

#30 Post by GJCINO » Thu May 10, 2012 12:39 am

Thank you again. And my humble apologies for not listening. I have fried the CPU most likely because I did not let it cool down. I just held the power button down long enough for it to shut everything off instantly. So I want the IBM ThinkPad T20 to work. However, my family does not want me to spend anymore money on an old computer. They already bought me a spare and that is enough headache for them! I remember when I used to work and I do not want them to spend anymore on me!

IBM do make good stuff from the brief time I played with it!

Everything works except I do not have a CPU. I have all the cleaners and TIM removers except I got frustrated and just figured the TIM (Arctic Silver 5) just doesn't work. So it went into the trash unfortunately!
Thank you Jesus Christ.