Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Buying without MS Windows (or get a rebate)?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
iveand

Buying without MS Windows (or get a rebate)?

#1 Post by iveand » Sun May 06, 2012 2:27 am

I posted over on the T4x0, T5x0 forum as those are the laptops I would be interested in, but wanted to ask a general question here in case someone else has experience purchasing without MS Windows (or maybe purchasing with it and then getting a refund for not using it).

I use Ubuntu and would hope to be able to get a discount for not buying with MS Windows. I have heard in other places that people have been able to purchase with "FreeDOS" or something like that. Does anyone have any advice?

I do understand it may not be possible to get a discount because many third party vendors pay to have their software pre-installed (and thus this software wouldn't be included as well so the "discount" for no MS would possibly be negated by the increase due to no subsidies from third party software companies that may pay to have their things pre-installed).

Thanks for any advice,

iveand

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Buying without MS Windows (or get a rebate)?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun May 06, 2012 5:08 am

The T520 is currently at $889.- (down from $1590.-)
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... =hpfa01212&
Hunt around for a coupon and you may even get more discount.
The T61 was available at one time with Suse, but I haven't seen that option any longer.
Companies can order any configuration for their TP-series, incl. DOS and similar.
However, if you keep your unwanted OS on CD/DVD (make them as soon as you get the laptop), it will make a future sale easier. :mrgreen:
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine