Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

PC goes to sleep mode all the time

R400/R500 Series
PRAGUEGUY

PC goes to sleep mode all the time

#1 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Sat May 05, 2012 8:44 am

all the time... :( pc back from repair after motherboard problem. Any suggestion? I have updated the bios, the chipset driver. The power plan has been checked it is not set up to go to suspend at all.

PRAGUEGUY

Re: PC goes to sleep mode all the time

#2 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Sun May 06, 2012 8:30 am

I have a big suspect for the cause
In the power schemes, it becomes reset , the computer changes the settings to "suspend after 5 minutes" on its own...have no idea how this can happen.
do you? I will run a virus test...maybe windows update? I got rid of the Lenovo power manager.
- I am happier for this reason, rather this than a bad mainboard. I have to check the power scheme every time I switch on the pC

PRAGUEGUY

#3 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Sun May 06, 2012 8:32 am

I repost my related entry from another thread
I began to have this problem after my R500 died on me, went for repair, and was repaired (apparently faulty USB ports. ) the repair guy soldered on other USB ports, he managed to wake up the computer, but the USB do not work anyway.
I restored an old image of my ssd system disk, and the pC worked.
Upon the first boot back from repair, it was unable to boot correctly and stated "error in time and date" or something.
I have entered some fake date, in bios, and then the pC started functioning
However, the soldered USB ports do not work. I am considering some expresscard with USB 3
-however, I started to have the problems described above. PC suddenly going into suspend for no reason.
Also, it seems that the power scheme settings behaved idiotically, i.e. I reset them to Go to suspend: never, and later when I looked, the setting was five minutes.
I installed the latest Power manager, the problem existed, then I removed Power manager.
- I tweaked around bios. Switched off all "clerver" methods of power management, CPU performance regutlation, wake on lan, anyghing that looked a bit sophisticated I turned off
- new chipsed driver, new bios

- TP fancontrol, set on an agressive setting, that is, I am erring on the side of more noise, lower heat.
now standing at CPU/ GPU at 52/40 celsius.

- now I have not seen any shutdown for a while, running on battery. However, this is an intermittent problem. I will see.
The problem occured when I was watching DVD form the DVD drive, and browsing.

- any co

loyukfai
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by loyukfai » Sun May 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Perhaps you can send it back to the maintenance shop again...?

Cheers.

PRAGUEGUY

#5 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Mon May 07, 2012 2:21 am

not much sense in that.
the repair guy is so over burdened the machine will be there for another month.
The error appeared again in the morning...s.o.d. it.

this machine will be a risk until I buy another one...i dont want to spend money forever, this is after warranty repair.
I think the mainboard will never be the same again after this bloke tampered with the usb ports.

Also, unfortunately, I may have damaged something. When I was trying to use advice from many forums, I partially took the machine apart, removed the wifi card, bt card, etc... I do not have the skill. I may have just touched something, pressed the cirquit somewhere...
I will see.
it is totally incaculable. went to suspend this morning right when i turned the machine on...it is ok now on AC power.

PRAGUEGUY

some success

#6 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Thu May 10, 2012 6:37 am

I am trying everything. I installed Win7 64bit in dual boot.
for a while, the error did not appear.
I run all the updates to win 7 64, all that applied since the date of the installer DVD rom for windows.
In a few minutes, the error appeared. In a worse shape than in win 32bit 7
in win7 32bit, it only went to suspend
in 64, it went right off...

so. I used the rescue point, of whatever is it called. I reverted to state before the updates.
Since then, the error has not appeared.
so...maybe in the dozens of updates for win7 there is somethint that irritates thecomputer, or is not compatible with some newer drivers....I also suspect some latest Lenovo drivers (chipset? etc?)
anybody can advice? also, when I GOOGLE. suspend error, most of the guys crying for help are Lenovo owners...so, is this a special Lenovo issue?
what are the dangers of using the OS in its "VIRGIN" STATE, no updates at all? of course, i UNDERstand viruses etc...but what is the point of having a well patched system if the PC does not work properlly.