Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

spill proof

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series
period3

spill proof

#1 Post by period3 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 am

I thought thinkpads were supposed to be spill proof. I spilled approx one half pint of beer on my w510 keyboard, and it promptly shut down and will not start... A bit disappointed that the drain holes on the bottom are apparently there just for show.

I still have warranty, but doubt that it covers mishaps like this. I'm not sure the thinkpads were ever explicitly advertised as spill proof, but videos like this certainly imply a greater resistance to spills than mine had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cvi00OZDM

Anyway, just a heads up that your thinkpads are probably NOT spill proof.

ausmike

Re: spill proof

#2 Post by ausmike » Mon May 14, 2012 8:46 am

hi there
sorry for your MISSHAP; bummer !

AFAIK , only T410 and Edge 420 keyboard's are 'approved' spill proof.... but then WHO KNOWS as not even Lenovo Tech Support ( USA nor Canada) seems to know. Recently as last month I asked this SAME QUESTION.
There also seems to be confusion' MIL SPEC" and "MIL APPROVED" wordings and clearly as you have found out " spill proof " ....

Seems Lenov is either going on OLDER MIL SPEC of past thinkpads (eg T60p&T61p) which are and clearly still in use by USA Mililitary Services and these machine are in process of being replaced with "HP" units as far as I know.....and Lenovo still continue to use words like' complies with MIl spec" but noone seems to be able to supply me/us with that APPROVAL LETTER/COMPLIANCE NOTICE. And my further questions/posting in their sister-forums hs gone to deff-ears also!
NATO/NISCUM has clearly 'de-listed' Thinkpads from their 'APPROVED" list and I suspect its due to these(spill) and other non-complicances.......blah blah

So I would send to depot repair and see that what they say. Just send it in (if still under warranty) and let them determine if its covered. One user @ our work has simialr experaince with water spill; he waited few weeks for water to 'dry off' than try to reboot , it worked!!! but not sure if the same would occur with 'canadain beer' - not sure of you in far north beer !! lol lol But hey no hard in trying that route - and if not boot then send it in for Repair ; LET THEM TELL U its a spill !!

hope this is of some help
Cheers
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~

Ibthink

#3 Post by Ibthink » Mon May 14, 2012 9:32 am

Well, all ThinkPads since ~10 years are spill prof, but for only a little bit. They can´t take much , because there are some areas where the water can went through. So, if you spill a bucket of water on a ThinkPad, it will shut down. Thats to much.

ThinkPads are Mil-Spec tested (T/X/W/L-Series) and Business-Rugged Notebooks (not Fully-Rugged as Toughbooks, which means they can withstand some things, but not all).
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

ausmike

#4 Post by ausmike » Mon May 14, 2012 10:37 am

Ibthink wrote:Well, all ThinkPads since ~10 years are spill prof, .....ThinkPads are Mil-Spec tested (T/X/W/L-Series) ....... but not all).
If your have any MIL STD "NUMBERS" > or even USA DOD approved "numbers"
I be keep to have/see them

thanks in advance
Mike
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~

Ibthink

#5 Post by Ibthink » Mon May 14, 2012 1:22 pm

They passes MIL-STD-810G. That are eight tests: humidity, low temperature, high temperature, dust, vibration, mechanical shock, altitude, and extreme temperatures. http://www.lenovo.com/news/us/en/2009/0 ... uting.html That are the test for the newer ThinkPads too.
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by JaneL » Mon May 14, 2012 2:08 pm

period3 wrote:I thought thinkpads were supposed to be spill proof.
ThinkPads are spill-resistant, not spill-proof.

I dropped a 16oz glass of ice water on an X300 with no ill effects.

http://blog.lenovo.com/perspectives/spi ... -420643808

What did you do to minimize the damage once the spill had happened?
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

period3

#7 Post by period3 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:42 pm

ThinkPads are spill-resistant, not spill-proof.

I dropped a 16oz glass of ice water on an X300 with no ill effects.

http://blog.lenovo.com/perspectives/spi ... -420643808

What did you do to minimize the damage once the spill had happened?
I unplugged it, wiped up the mess, then let it stand for a few hours before turning it on... I had the keyboard replaced under warranty, and I still had the old one, so I tried plugging that in and it still didn't work. (The old keyboard had a problem with the trackpoint). I'm going to try to disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning. I doubt it'll fix it, but it's worth a shot.

ausmike

#8 Post by ausmike » Mon May 14, 2012 4:25 pm

Ibthink wrote:They passes MIL-STD-810G. That are eight tests: humidity, low temperature, high temperature, dust, vibration, mechanical shock, altitude, and extreme temperatures. http://www.lenovo.com/news/us/en/2009/0 ... uting.html That are the test for the newer ThinkPads too.

YIPS " ALREADY seen that page ...... and items of note in the "Announcement letters /news"
Lenov 'talks' of having done those tests - nowhere do the QUOTE THAT APPROVAL NUMBER !
yes granted - they are "Tough Test":Meet Military Specifications for Semi-Rugged Computing as most 'field user' in those area's they talk about (police etc) would agree to...

Also repeated requests (even from pple mentioned in that letter/news) NOR The Current Thinkpad ProDuct Manager (WW) = no repsonse ! everyone seems to talk of 'that tests' noone is able to even 'email; me an APPROVED MIL number !

Saying in press = dont necessary make it 'approved' unless someone actually plublic'ly places such document on line and or send one to us...(like used to be case for T6xp etc) in past years ! FYI ..if you search in Lenovo-US webite for "MIL-STD-810G" = would not give you any 'results' - as that ARTICLE is not longer used ... "wonder why?"

So we now no- longer able to say 'our machines' are MIL-SPEC - MIL APPROVED.... in certain area's of our work....all of these are T&W Series current machines....

Ah well life goes on !

Return to “ThinkPad W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series”