Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

noisy left speaker at idle or when finishing watching a vid

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Olivier

noisy left speaker at idle or when finishing watching a vid

#1 Post by Olivier » Mon May 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Hello,
Got a T41, all latest update, I think, and when I stop watching a video there is a "rubbing" noise coming from the left speaker.
A while ago I thought it was the HDD going south with the rubbing noise, but one day I found out it was actually the speakers, the left one, and if I press the mute button, it stop.
Also playing video/ music, the rattling/ rubbing noise stop...
This is odd.
Anything I could do about this?
Thank you.
Olivier

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: noisy left speaker at idle or when finishing watching a vid

#2 Post by poshgeordie » Tue May 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Weird one that!

I'd remove the palmrest and check the left hand speaker hasn't got a screw / piece of metal debris "stuck" to the cone through magnetic attraction of the speaker.

To remove the palmrest you need to remove the keyboard first. For a How to on this download the How To Doc list from my sig and from that download the T4x Screws doc.

Also get a mini headphone jack and plug it in and out the blue (green?) left hand jack hole a few times; sometimes dirt falls into the internal contacts and can do funny things.

Also while you're at it if you have headphones check what the LH headphone channel's doing.

If it's OK and there's no metal debris on the cone, it may be is a distorted LH speaker cone and you may need to change the speaker assembly.
If you want to try a replacement speaker assembly give me a PM with your name and address details and I'll pop one in the post (I've got enough to go twice round the world....!!) - no charge.

If all that fails, download and burn a live Mint CD, load a live (non installation) Linux Mint desktop and then test the sound through that.

Olivier

Re: noisy left speaker at idle or when finishing watching a vid

#3 Post by Olivier » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:20 am

Hi Nick,
Sorry for the late reply... Just logged in now.
I am going to do all you said now. I 'll report later today :)
I am in Edinburgh, not too far away from you :)
Thank you very much for the offer. :thumbs-UP:
I let you know what the verdict is
All the best.
Olivier