Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

New x30 line announced - thoughts on changes?

X230-X280, X390 Series
derekpowell

New x30 line announced - thoughts on changes?

#1 Post by derekpowell » Tue May 15, 2012 9:43 am

dxps26
Freshman Member

Re: New x30 line announced - thoughts on changes?

#2 Post by dxps26 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:55 am

well, the old keyboard is finally dead.

long live the traditional keyboard.

My critique - the Chiclets aren't half bad. I've tried the X1 keyboard, and it's decent. if the key travel and springiness I've come to expect from Thinkpad Keyboards is still there, the increase in the tactile surface area of each key can only be a good thing. Chiclets are also easier to keep clean, since there is not much place under the keys for miscellaneous detritus to settle in. Thankfully, the Function keys have been retained from legacy layouts-smart move by Lenovo not to ditch their userbase who've got the key combinations memorized in their muscles.
I'm happy with the removal of the Play/Pause/Fwd/Rev controls from the arrow keys to the previously underutilized f9 to f11 keys. I don't use them much, but for those who do, this will be a slight adjustment. it reduces the additional wear on the most used keys on a keyboard by placing them on some of the least used.
The pause and scroll lock keys are gone. These were legacy keys whose original functions had long been abandoned. for those who used them exclusively as hotkey combos, you will have to adjust. For Programmers, Excel gurus and Database wranglers, this may be a problem area.
The back/forward keys were nice for quick navigation on the web. I am not sure how to feel about their replacement with an equally-important pair of keys. what irks me is the weird placement of the PrtSc key, in the place of the context menu key. Not that I personally use either key a lot, but it may irritate a number of users.

I hope the addition of backlighting is an acceptable compromise to those who are distraught over the death of the traditional keyboard.

I just wish they'd preserve the Blue enter key. it just looks...right.
4178-6VU + Intel 520 Series 120gb + Crucial M4 256gb + 8gb RAM

elray
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by elray » Tue May 15, 2012 11:18 am

I've used the Chiclet keyboards on the X120e and the Edge 14".
I have no complaint.
But we need to lose the touchpad.
T430 Windows 10

Jack Watts

#4 Post by Jack Watts » Tue May 15, 2012 12:02 pm

elray wrote:I've used the Chiclet keyboards on the X120e and the Edge 14".
I have no complaint.
But we need to lose the touchpad.
That doesn't make much sense to me...you can always disable the touchpad--but you can't easily install one if it's not there? The fact is, a lot of people prefer the touchpad. After using one which actually works (after installing 3rd party drivers for the synaptics pad), I'm using it more than the trackpoint; and I say this as a long-time trackpoint user. I like having both available. Point being, I just don't see a downside to including the touchpad...but I see a big downside to not including it.

Mostly, I'm curious to see if the new keyboard buys any space on the palmrests for the X230. Having used the Edge 420 keyboard for a short while, I really like the feel of Lenovo's chichlet keys. The one disappointment for me is that they don't have an IPS option for the T430, which is a better size for me. As far as the 1400x900 screen on the X230, I'm seriously envious of the eyesight of anyone who can use that screen!

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by dr_st » Wed May 16, 2012 12:46 pm

dxps26 wrote:Thankfully, the Function keys have been retained from legacy layouts-smart move by Lenovo not to ditch their userbase who've got the key combinations memorized in their muscles.
What are you talking about? That the F1-F12 keys are still there at the top and in their original order? I don't think any manufacturer ever messed with that yet.
Jack Watts wrote:Point being, I just don't see a downside to including the touchpad...but I see a big downside to not including it.
I'm with you fully on this, even as a 100% trackpoint user who always disables the touchpad.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by pianowizard » Wed May 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Doing away with the touchpad would cause Lenovo to lose scores of customers, really fast.

BTW, I just noticed that the two gaps in the Function keys, which were present on the X220, are gone. With the gaps, I don't need to look at the keyboard to hit the Function keys, e.g. Alt+F4 to close a window or F5 to refresh a web page. I often pride myself on my ability to adapt to many different kinds of keyboards (including piano keyboards, by the way), but I do strongly prefer having those gaps in the Function key row. Sigh...
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Puppy » Fri May 18, 2012 10:50 am

Lenovo ThinkPad X230 First Thoughts (pics, video) http://www.laptopreviews.com/lenovo-thi ... eo-2012-05
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Roland
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#8 Post by Roland » Fri May 18, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm in the market for a new notebook and tablet and the X230T looks like a nice alternative fulfilling both requirements.
However, apart from the short battery life and high weight I'm a bit concerned about the brightness of the IPS display. ASUS offers the Transformer Prime tablet with a 600 nits IPS, SAMSUNGs Series 7 Slate with a 400 nits IPS like the iPad (nits refers to cd/m2).
Having never seen the X220T in reality (with its 300 nits - like the next X230T?) I like to ask the X220T owners with outdoor IPS if this is nicely bright or could be brighter?
300 nits are not leading edge anymore...

As a formerly owner of so many TPs since 1994 I know very well, that TPs always have been late with the integration of state-of-the-art features but I'm still in love with them and now it looks at least the outstanding hybrid design of the X230T convinced me again to choose a TP...after nearly 18 years of my first one!

Thanks for any comment on IPS display quality to help me making a decision.

Roland in Berlin

dxps26
Freshman Member

#9 Post by dxps26 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:03 am

dr_st wrote:What are you talking about? That the F1-F12 keys are still there at the top and in their original order? I don't think any manufacturer ever messed with that yet.
Ah, I meant the Fn Key and Function Key combinations. The combined actions of Both Keys are (mostly) still in the same layout as the previous series. I saw some pictures of prototypes or mockups that had replaced the Function Key+Fn shortcuts with exactly the kind of shortcuts one would see on a Macbook. Probably also removed the need to press Fn altogether and made the keys respond directly to the Shortcut, like in the Apple units (I hate it when it hit f5 on a Macbook and it does something else.)

dxps26
Freshman Member

#10 Post by dxps26 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:20 am

Roland wrote:I'm in the market for a new notebook and tablet and the X230T looks like a nice alternative fulfilling both requirements.
However, apart from the short battery life and high weight I'm a bit concerned about the brightness of the IPS display. ASUS offers the Transformer Prime tablet with a 600 nits IPS, SAMSUNGs Series 7 Slate with a 400 nits IPS like the iPad (nits refers to cd/m2).
Having never seen the X220T in reality (with its 300 nits - like the next X230T?) I like to ask the X220T owners with outdoor IPS if this is nicely bright or could be brighter?
300 nits are not leading edge anymore...

As a formerly owner of so many TPs since 1994 I know very well, that TPs always have been late with the integration of state-of-the-art features but I'm still in love with them and now it looks at least the outstanding hybrid design of the X230T convinced me again to choose a TP...after nearly 18 years of my first one!

Thanks for any comment on IPS display quality to help me making a decision.

Roland in Berlin

Honestly Roland, Tablets like the iPad and Tablets like the X220T/X230T are different beasts with different uses. You've been a Thinkpad user for long, so I'm in no position to tell you what is better, but as a younger chap who's played with the iPad and it's ilk, I have to tell you that it can't completely replace a proper computer, and in fact, you will need a computer to sync it with. As far as portability, weight and ease of use is concerned, nothing beats the iPad or the Transformer Prime, but these are mainly Media Consumption devices, and yes, people have used them for commercial purposes (like in this restaurant where I worked - used an iPad to make quick ordering lists and sending them on-the-fly to the suppliers) but at the end of the day, a Proper computer is still required.

So I don't think the Best-of-both-worlds approach will provide you with satisfactory results. As far as the Screen on the new iPad is concerned, it is Beautiful. Small, yet wonderfully detailed, and bright. Currently, nothing on the market approaches that screen. The closest I could find was a 13" Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook with a 1600X900 IPS display, which was delightfully vibrant, bright and clear. Still not QXGA. The laptop itself was also really well-put together, solid, and flex free.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by dr_st » Sat May 19, 2012 11:25 am

dxps26 wrote:Ah, I meant the Fn Key and Function Key combinations. The combined actions of Both Keys are (mostly) still in the same layout as the previous series.
Ah, I see what you mean. I just wouldn't call it a "smart move" to leave these particular keys in place, while throwing the other navigation/shortcut keys all over the keyboard.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Roland
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#12 Post by Roland » Sat May 19, 2012 2:20 pm

dxps26 wrote:
Honestly Roland, Tablets like the iPad and Tablets like the X220T/X230T are different beasts with different uses. You've been a Thinkpad user for long, so I'm in no position to tell you what is better, but as a younger chap who's played with the iPad and it's ilk, I have to tell you that it can't completely replace a proper computer, and in fact, you will need a computer to sync it with. As far as portability, weight and ease of use is concerned, nothing beats the iPad or the Transformer Prime, but these are mainly Media Consumption devices, and yes, people have used them for commercial purposes (like in this restaurant where I worked - used an iPad to make quick ordering lists and sending them on-the-fly to the suppliers) but at the end of the day, a Proper computer is still required.

So I don't think the Best-of-both-worlds approach will provide you with satisfactory results. As far as the Screen on the new iPad is concerned, it is Beautiful. Small, yet wonderfully detailed, and bright. Currently, nothing on the market approaches that screen. The closest I could find was a 13" Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook with a 1600X900 IPS display, which was delightfully vibrant, bright and clear. Still not QXGA. The laptop itself was also really well-put together, solid, and flex free.
Hi dxps26,

that was a really really helpful reply, thank you!
You're right that I'm not really aware about what I need and what I should choose. Up to now I haven't bought any tablet so my experience is limited to a few minutes I play with some of them from friends and colleagues.
My personal notebook died recently after 6 years of use and I always was thinking about getting a tablet for my frequent long lasting business trips. It would be nice to be able to run Corel and the most important MS programs on the next piece of hardware I'll own.

Ok, ignoring battery life-time, thickness and weight my remaining biggest concerns are:
1. The X220T(!) outdoor HD IPS seems to be a better choice for me, but this seems not to be a touch screen, correct? Only the X220T(!) matt IPS screen seems to be a touch screen or am I wrong in this?
2. The next X230T will still have a mediocre resolution (1366x768), not 1600 x 900...at least I learned this from the preview...
3. How is the Windows 7 experience with typical touch screen applications like surfing the net, browsing pictures or scrolling through pdf-documents (magazines): Does this run as smooth and flawless than with Android or MacOS? Can I expect tablet like touch screen functionality under Windows 7 with the IPS screen of the X2xxT?

Sorry for so many (maybe a bit naive) questions but the previous answer motivates me to ask more (^-^) and I'm afraid to expect to much from the X2xxT...

Thanks,
Roland in Berlin

dxps26
Freshman Member

#13 Post by dxps26 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:35 am

Roland wrote: Ok, ignoring battery life-time, thickness and weight my remaining biggest concerns are:
1. The X220T(!) outdoor HD IPS seems to be a better choice for me, but this seems not to be a touch screen, correct? Only the X220T(!) matt IPS screen seems to be a touch screen or am I wrong in this?
2. The next X230T will still have a mediocre resolution (1366x768), not 1600 x 900...at least I learned this from the preview...
3. How is the Windows 7 experience with typical touch screen applications like surfing the net, browsing pictures or scrolling through pdf-documents (magazines): Does this run as smooth and flawless than with Android or MacOS? Can I expect tablet like touch screen functionality under Windows 7 with the IPS screen of the X2xxT?

Sorry for so many (maybe a bit naive) questions but the previous answer motivates me to ask more (^-^) and I'm afraid to expect to much from the X2xxT...

Thanks,
Roland in Berlin
In the Order of your Questions-
1. The X220T is offered with 2 Touchscreen options, Both 1366X768, Both IPS, but one is intended for Outdoor use, and lacks Multitouch, while the other is a Regular screen with the addition of MultiTouch. I >think< the outdoor one is covered with Gorilla Glass, and is a high brightness screen, but I am not sure - could someone clarify??

2. I have no Clue. I suspect the resolution will be the same, but don't take my word for it.

3. From my limited time with Touchscreen Windows 7 Devices, I have to say it's a mixed bag. For one, it is nice to have the means to do quick annotations and navigate the OS with the touchscreen, but the interface is still primarily designed for Mouse/Keyboard use. Windows 8 is supposed to be introducing a Layer to be more touchscreen friendly, and from the looks of it, the system is decent. But you're not going to be using Windows 8 anytime soon.

In terms of Usability, Smoothness, fluidity and natural context, iOS and Android (in that order) are top dog. An iPad renders pictures beautifully, and documents are also well done. Web browsing is fine until you get to a site with less than optimal Mobile support, and then it becomes a pain. File management on an iPad is virtually draconian, while Android lets you install a proper file browser, and have simple plug-and-play access to the Flash memory.

I'm practically repeating what I said earlier - both devices will fill their niches wonderfully... but will not be optimal for fulfilling both roles.
let's face it - an iOS or Android tablet isn't that much extra weight in your overhead bag, for the added convenience. If you find yourself in an airport with 20 minutes to kill before boarding begins, it's much more cumbersome to open your tablet computer, reverse the screen, and hold it in one hand while the line moves forward at a snail's pace. Reading the news on a tablet like that or other casual tasks are simply fabulous in situations like these with a iOS/Android Tablet. It is also equally woeful when you get an attachment you need to edit and fire back and your iPad cannot open it. Then there are the memory limitations- 16gb to 64 gb seems to be the breadth of capacity you get with an iPad/Android. I for example, have 80 gb of music in high-resolution formats that an iPad cannot decode natively, and I run a Media Server on my laptop. This would not be possible with a typical tablet.

so yes, I do think you expect too much from the X220T.

barrywohl

#14 Post by barrywohl » Tue May 22, 2012 6:42 am

Thanks,
Roland in Berlin

The Windows 8 Consumer Preview experience on the X201t is great, better than Windows 7 and any Lenovo add ons such as SimpleTap. I'm planning on an X230 or an X230t, probably the latter.
First Thinkpad 755CX in 1995. First IBM: PC 1982 8088 w 64K RAM, dual floppy. Currently in use:
X230T with Win8Pro x64, i7, 500gb ssd; W700 WUXGA RAID 1 Blu-Ray W7Pro x64, occasionally a T61p with Win7Pro x64