Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X220 repairing squeaky Enter key ?

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

X220 repairing squeaky Enter key ?

#1 Post by Puppy » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 am

I had problem with middle trackpoint button which stopped to work and got new keyboard from Lenovo. Unfortunately after few hours of using the new keyboard, Backspace and later the big blue Enter key as well started to make loud squeaky or "scratchy" noises. Much louder and different than typical space bar loud click. Especially when pressed in left bottom corner slowly about 1 mm, then release (my 8 years old R51 has the same Enter key and it is still pretty silent with original keyboard). The shape of Enter key is not the US one-row but the bigger square one used on some localized keyboards.

Lenovo service refuses to replace that new keyboard under warranty again (well, as expected). Is there any fix ? I would rather don't try to pop out the key but the key mechanics is partially accessible via holes in the keyboard metal plate. Would putting some grease to the mechanics help ?
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

erik
Moderator-Emeritus
Moderator-Emeritus

Re: X220 repairing squeaky Enter key ?

#2 Post by erik » Thu May 17, 2012 10:46 pm

the keys are greased lightly from their manufacturers.   some keys unfortunately don't always get properly greased at all points of movement, hence why some develop a squeak rather early.

the only way to fix a squeaky key is to remove the key cap and apply a light amount of high-viscosity teflon-based grease at any hinge points that appear dry.

to remove your enter key (the same shape as what i use on JP layouts), work your fingers under the top of the key and slowly lift up until it pops off.   as long as you're gentle you'll be fine.   iirc the large enter key has two scissor mechanisms—one at the top and one at the bottom.   you should feel a series of four small clicks as you remove the key.   most of the time the whole thing pops off in one motion.

good luck!
ThinkStation P700 | ThinkPad X1C7

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X220 repairing squeaky Enter key ?

#3 Post by Puppy » Sat May 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks. It has worked exactly you described. Using teflon grease (in spray, not directly on the keyboard key of course) solved these squeaky sounds :thumbs-UP:
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13