Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Previous versions of Ati driver and BIOS for Lenovo r500

R400/R500 Series
PRAGUEGUY

Previous versions of Ati driver and BIOS for Lenovo r500

#1 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Fri May 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Could anybody give me a link for these please ? I would like to try downgrading these. To sort out my going to suspend problem.
all the links are deleted, from the usual places.
I would be grateful for a graphics driver for ati radeon 3400, for 32 bit and or 64 bit.
for 64 bit the only driver i found on support is from 2009. Anyghing newer, I tried to install, failed.
Any suggestion, where to get a newer ati driver? thanks.

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Previous versions of Ati driver and BIOS for Lenovo r500

#2 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:31 pm

More information is needed if you need help. What version of Windows are you using? W7, Vista, and which bit? 64 bit or 32 bit? Please list your model type so we have an idea of the hardware configuration your R500 has. Model type is at the bottom of your ThinkPad near the bar code sticker.
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

PRAGUEGUY

#3 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Sat May 19, 2012 12:38 pm

sorry, thank you.
ThinkPad R500 (2732) is the machine

I am dual booting Windows 7 32 bit and 64, but now focusing mainly on the 64 bit

PRAGUEGUY

#4 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Sat May 19, 2012 12:52 pm

I found advice on other fora on how to "stress test" individual drivers by Verifier tool. Gradually, I got blue screen errors when I selected the Biddefender driver, some driver used by the Fan Control app for Thinkpads.tvicport.sys was the driver.(some Taiwanese driver that the Fan control uses) and now, i get a blue screen error when I select the ATI driver.
This is the dump report from Whocrashed, a tool to analyse dump files:
the crash dump below was generated when the only driver selected in Verifier for verification was the atikmdag.sys, the ATI driver, I believe the current one recommended for my model on the lenovo service download section.

On Sat 19.5.2012 17:30:40 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051912-6536-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x101F92156, 0x8, 0x101F92156)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Your model type should be comprised of 7-digits. You have the first four listed what are the rest the digits? Reason I am asking is if you go to Lenovos website and enter your 7-digit model type into support you will get a list of drivers specific for your ThinkPad. I also was skimming through past threads and noticed you had a hardware issue with your R500. IIRC it was a USB port that had been resoldered? That might perhaps cause some power issues especially if a bridged connection was involved. IMO hardware damages will not be corrected by software programs.

Per your problems with the drivers you are installing. Have you got Lenovo Update installed? I can only think that experimenting with a mish-mash of drivers might cause more problems than you want. At the very least Lenovo Update will locate the latest drivers (according to Lenovo) and match them to your R500 model-type.

I do have one piece of advice regarding updating. If you must update BIOS use a bootable CD for your BIOS update. Using windows or Lenovo Update often leads to threads in forums regarding nearly bricked or bricked laptops. You can find the bootable ISO image at Lenovo support on the web.
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

PRAGUEGUY

#6 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Sat May 19, 2012 3:03 pm

thanks...probably it is hardware..just trying to patch it up somehow

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#7 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Wait a minute..you got me curious now. You still have not posted your 7-digit model type. It is located under your ThinkPad near the bar code. You posted a 4-digit one but the 2732 but you should still have three digits in this form 2732-xxx. Please post the 7-digit model type. Getting you the proper drivers would perhaps eliminate some of the BSOD and errors you are encountering. Just curious but why dual boot W7 32-bit and W7 64-bit?

PRAGUEGUY

#8 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Sun May 20, 2012 2:29 am

2732-7UG
the machine died, got to repair, the guy soldered on two new usb ports. The machine did wake up, but the ports never started working. And, the machine developed the suspend problem.
- the only reason for dual boot was to try and troulbeshoot, try if the error does not go away under 64 bit...and the machine is faster. Plus, I have nad SSD disk in it.
- there are 3 missing devices in device manager

the first one says Controller of simple communication over PCI bus, the other two, Basic system device

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:51 am

When you go to Lenovo support:

1) Enter the 7-digit model type 2732-7UG; a page will load with a list of hardware your R500 contains

2) Off to the left there is a column labeled "Support."

3) Under support there are "Drivers and Software," "Product and Parts Details," "Diagnose & Fix," "Guides and Manuals," etc. Click on "Drivers and Software."

4) Now a page will load with a list of drivers. There you will notice the drivers that are available for your R500.

IIRC the simple PCI communications is related to the modem. Here is a thread from this forum regarding the simple PCI communications. CLICK HERE TO READ.

Does "zakladni systemove zarizeni" translate to "Basic system device?" I am guessing that the language is Czech. When you run Lenovo update what drivers are on the list of critical or suggested downloads?

PRAGUEGUY

#10 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Sun May 20, 2012 11:11 am

Yes basic system device I translated it above at the end of my previous post. I will try the driver update thanks.

PRAGUEGUY

#11 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Mon May 21, 2012 6:35 am

Hi, thanks, I run Lenovo update, and added quite a few drivers. I also got an update of the gpraphics driver via Windows Update,

this one, Lenovo - Display - ThinkPad Display 1680x1050
Lenovo Display software update released in April, 2012
information

The link for the update is dead...
However, the two missing devices in Device manager disappeared...(there were two in my 32bit partition, and three in the 64 bit I pasted above. I am now tweaking the 32 bit one)
- since then the suspend error, which is the main problem I am working on, has not appeared yet.
But it is an intermittent problem and not enough time has passed since i last did the changes you recommended above.
Mind you, the BSOD is not the primary problem. The bsod is only a by-product of me trying to trace the source of the problem.
For that, I use the tool called Verifier, writing verifier in the Run field.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617/en-us

One can then select individual drivers to test, if the driver is problematic, one gets a BSOD. Then, in the Minidump file,
one can fish for logs of which driver malfunctioned.
I never got BSOD without actually "triggering" it with verifier. My only problem was going into unwanted suspend mode. ,

http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20479565

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#12 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Good to hear the suspend problem has not returned. I feel that to pinpoint whether it is a hardware or software problem then running a non-Windows OS might help. Have you got a bootable Linux disc handy? Using this will determine whether the problem is Windows related or hardware related. Thanks for clarifying the tool you use to stress test drivers. I have not heard of that tool until you mentioned it. Those pesky missing device manager drivers (yellow triangles) seem to be a problem for many clean installs if you are not familiar with Thinkpad updating. That is when the Lenovo Update program works well. I do, however, wish they would not include an BIOS update within windows option.

PRAGUEGUY

#13 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Mon May 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Re Linux,
I have a couple of rescue CDs, such as Macrium and Partition Manager bootable CD-environments for recovery.

Are you suggesting I boot into it and see if the suspend occurs? It is too intermittent for that
Or should I use sometning like HIRENS bootable CD? that is probably Linux.
the Macrium and Partition manager are Windows PE
I never heard of the Verifier previously, I found a guide on a Czech forum, regarding a similar suspend problem.

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#14 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Mon May 21, 2012 3:07 pm

I was thinking perhaps you could enter a usable and interactive linux DE (desktop environment). If your problem is intermittent there has to be a trigger that causes the suspend to occur. It also seems at this time it is just a waiting game for the problem to rear its ugly head again. Any linux livedisc should work- Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. Ruling out OS associated software issues would be a good start in troubleshooting your problem. All of this is of course contingent upon whether your suspend problem should start again. If it does not happen again then it will be a good time for rejoicing :D :D :D

PRAGUEGUY

#15 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Mon May 21, 2012 3:11 pm

I suspect the bug is there...it occurs when i try to login.
HERE IS the event log

Systém přechází do režimu spánku.

Důvod spánku: Aplikační rozhraní API

The system is going to sleep mode
Reason for sleep: API interface

-- stress testing the iastor.sys driver gave a BSOD. Now that is the Intel matrix storage driver. It was put there by the Lenovo system update. prior to the update, some other driver was there. I dont know which.
- unfortunately I lack the knowledge to do this test, I am only following some guide blindly. I may be getting a false postive result, stressing the device in a way that is bound to cause BSOD error. Any way to put some other driver instead of the Intel matrix storage driver I have there now?

PRAGUEGUY

#16 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Sat May 26, 2012 4:20 am

I am now using the system, first time, using a bootable Linux live dvd, called Knoppix. It does now work.
However, I must say, when I was booting this system, during the boot, an error occured, that is, the monitor got into a sort of collapsed state }was covered by a strange matrix of cloured rectangles, like when you partially disconnect the graphics card from an external monitor.

This is the state the machine got to a couple of times when it crashed during win 7 booting

then the error disappeared and the machine booted up to linux

Would that suggest to you that I have a hw bug? as a problem occured irrespective of OS, the same problem? there is a good offer on a machine...

http://interlink.tsbohemia.cz/lenovo-th ... 33026.html
It has a weaker processor but is very affordable. CCA 700 usd very low here. Net of VAT (our sales tax)
I am very seriously thinking about giving up this nightmare...I will be debugging this machine forever and its probably a motherboard problem...

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#17 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:16 am

I would not worry about the colored rectangle matrix. In my experience whenever I booted up a linux livedisc there were the lines of code and sometimes the colored rectangles. The livedisc is most likely doing a hardware check and scan which includes verifying the graphics adapter(s). As for purchasing a different ThinkPad that is up to you. It seems you are spending a lot of time on the R500. She sounds like she has you wrapped around her finger :P

The processor in that T520 should still be very capable in comparison to your R500 core2duo. It works faster in some benchmarks while the P8700 works faster in others as well. Here is a list of benchmarks which include the Core2Duo P8700 and the i3-2330M.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Pro ... 436.0.html

PRAGUEGUY

#18 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Mon May 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Screen after some sort of graphics crash.

so ..how about this. Happened under Win7 32 bit, just turned like this. is it dead? Than became ok after restart.

Re emeraldgirl: btw, this is the "rectangles" I was talking about above.

PRAGUEGUY

#19 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Mon May 28, 2012 2:11 pm

If it is not possible to repair the R500, or if I just start thinking I can trust it (that is the problem, it does function, but with an intermittent bug, one cannot really trust the thing, it can go wrong at the worst moment)

I am thinking about two of the cheapest T520.
The cheapest is the one discussed here. http://interlink.tsbohemia.cz/lenovo-th ... 33026.html

processor intel core I3 2330 M, only 2G rAM would have to double it, but that is cheap
, about 700 USD

next cheapest, has i5 2430 processor, and 4G RAm, that is enough for me
http://interlink.tsbohemia.cz/lenovo-th ... 33027.html, about 830 USD

I would use my SSD harddrive in both cases.

What do you think about the price /performance ratio of the two? the cheaper one is the best for the buck, but the more expensive one seems to be cca 30% extra on most benchmarks. the i5 has the Turbo feature, should I be bothered by that, is that a spec worth payiing extra for? i gather it means the processor can sort of overclock itself?

For the main intended use, which is work, translation, use of Computer aided translation, office applications, I gather I would not be constrained by the performance of the lower specced one.

- Would I get a lot of extra performance FROM THE HIGHER SPECCED MODEL with i5 2430 , that would be noticeble when , once in a quarter year, maybe backing up a DVD disc, or burning a DVD, or watching a movie? thanks

PRAGUEGUY

#20 Post by PRAGUEGUY » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 am

R.I.P.
I am pronouncing this machine dead officially. Will buy a refurbished R61. It worked impeccably with a clean install of 64 bit Win7 ..then just switched off , not suspend, but total switchoff. .so I am no longer wasting time on it.