Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

R31 CPU Upgrade

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
gdrunk

R31 CPU Upgrade

#1 Post by gdrunk » Sat May 19, 2012 6:37 pm

When I first bought my R31 last month, it came with a 1.06GHz Celeron Mobile, and while usable I found it quite easy to hit its limits, especially when web browsing with a few hefty tabs open. I did a bit of research and easily sourced the flagship processor for the model, the 1.13Ghz Pentium III Mobile (SL5CK). A bit of money thrown at Ebay and I had a processor within a day or two, and since I wanted to change the CMOS battery anyway it seemed a good opportunity to dismantle it.

Dismantling is pretty straightforward if you use the Service Manual, although the keyboard bezel has plastic hinges which don't look like they'll take a lot of abuse. If yours is anything like mine, the heatsink will certainly need cleaning and new thermal paste applying. Once the heatsink is out of the way, changing the processor is as easy as on a desktop.

The performance difference is pretty impressive. Multimedia is marginally better, but tasks like web browsing are an awful lot more civilised, scrolling is a lot smoother and it doesn't feel anywhere near as sluggish to use as the Celeron. Considering that the SL5CK doesn't cost much second hand, I'd definately recommend it.
[ThinkPad Roll Call] T61 (FreeBSD) - X60 (Arch Linux) - X40 (Arch Linux) - A31 (FreeBSD) - 600E (FreeBSD) - A21p (FreeBSD)

Previous: R31, 560x, A20m, X41

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: R31 CPU Upgrade

#2 Post by jronald » Tue May 22, 2012 9:55 am

The switch from a Celeron (aka crippled PIII) to a PIII is a huge improvement, then the bump in speed to boot. Nice upgrade!

Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's

shaneblack

#3 Post by shaneblack » Tue May 22, 2012 11:02 am

Thank You for posting about this model, I have the same one. I plan to do an upgrade on it soon too. It has a celeron 1.6ghz too and 32mb graphics with 830m intel. Not the best graphics by far I could'nt play games from 2004 and up with it but it is decent for older games. I am wondering if any duel-core cpu will work on this model??

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue May 22, 2012 11:14 am

No way.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

thinktwice
Freshman Member

#5 Post by thinktwice » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Had posted by error here. Can an administrator remove my post? Thanks.