Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How Hewlett-Packard lost its way...

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
loyukfai
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

How Hewlett-Packard lost its way...

#1 Post by loyukfai » Wed May 09, 2012 1:29 pm

With certain similarities, perhaps it makes a good read on a slow news day...

As many TPers here lamenting the slowly death of the ThinkPad brand, will HP's decision not to sell its PC division be its saving grace in the end...?

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/05/08/ ... apotheker/

Cheers.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: How Hewlett-Packard lost its way...

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:23 pm

One has to laugh in order not to cry...

Why is it that the same people surface in different industries all the time...

Meg Whitman? Is this the best she can do after her failed bid to replace The Governator?

Larry Babbio? Shouldn't he be enjoying the insane retirement package that Verizon gave him several years ago?

Let's not forget Carly Fiorina who had destroyed Lucent Technologies (former Bell Labs) within a blink of an eye, but couldn't quite finish off the HP monster apart from shifting the vast majority of the jobs overseas...

I guess I should start putting money aside for an IPS-eqipped EliteBook while I can still buy one...ThinkPads are getting 6-row island keyboards anyway... :evil:
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

thePCxp

#3 Post by thePCxp » Fri May 11, 2012 12:07 am

Interesting read.
loyukfai wrote:As many TPers here lamenting the slowly death of the ThinkPad brand, will HP's decision not to sell its PC division be its saving grace in the end...?
The ThinkPad brand is not dying, It is more vibrant than it ever was. The reason people are saying that is because they don't like the direction that Lenovo is taking, which is to be more entrepreneurial and marketing to the younger generation (which includes myself). They're just being pessimistic about it. I'm guessing that a lot of the people who are saying that are old - they're afraid of change (I'm much younger by the way, I'm almost 22). My suggestion to you is to not listen to them and instead listen to yourself according to your own preferences (I'm sure the others will get over it eventually, as they adapt).
ajkula66 wrote:...ThinkPads are getting 6-row island keyboards anyway... :evil:
What's so bad about that? They're not as bad as you think. I've tried one (on an X1) and they're as good as the non-island keyboards. The keyboard on the X1 is better than the ones I tried from all the other brands.
ThinkPads: R51 (1836HAU), T41 (23737FU), 600 (264551U), T60 (2008VRQ), T500 (224255U)

I Love (all) ThinkPads...ThinkPad forever!

loyukfai
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by loyukfai » Fri May 11, 2012 3:41 am

HA HA HA! Thanks for your suggestion, perhaps its my wording, it's kind of being tongue in cheek, obviously while there are similarities between IBM and HP, there are substantial differences as well...

I'm not worrying too much about the changes myself, but the sentiment is out there and to simply demise it as reluctance to change is not my preferred response.

Cheers. :)

twistero

#5 Post by twistero » Fri May 11, 2012 4:12 am

thePCxp wrote: What's so bad about that? They're not as bad as you think. I've tried one (on an X1) and they're as good as the non-island keyboards. The keyboard on the X1 is better than the ones I tried from all the other brands.
Why, as several senior forum member <airquotes> repeatedly explained in many places </airquotes>, changing the keyboard layout from the traditional 7-row to the new 6-row destroys all usability.
X60 tablet 6363-P3U, 3GB ram, 128GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, SXGA+ screen, Intel 6300
T61 Frankenpad in 15 inch T60 body, UXGA LED-lit AFFS LCD, T9300, 6GB RAM, NVidia NVS140m, Intel 6205, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, 1TB HGST HDD + eBay caddy in Ultrabay
701c butterfly, 75MHz 486DX4, 40MB ram, 1GB CF card

wolfman

#6 Post by wolfman » Fri May 11, 2012 11:29 am

Obviously this falls squarely into the realm of personal opinion and, as such, no one is going to convince anyone else that they are "right" or "wrong". That said, give me the 7 row, non-island design - or the option to pay a little extra for it if need be.
Thinkpad L14 gen 2 | AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 5850u | 64gb RAM | 1tb SK Hynix P31 Gold | Intel AX210
Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950x | 64gb RAM | 512gb Samsung 970 Pro + 1tb Crucial SSD | Ubuntu 20.04 LTS | Dell S2721DGF
Previous Thinkpads: A21m, R40, X61, T410, T420, W520

ausmike

#7 Post by ausmike » Fri May 11, 2012 1:16 pm

lol ,,, George - its called " recycling " - very very common and most yuppee-ish in CA! (cant even spell that work!!)
but then I thought theres lots to be said for ex-google pple who went to FB -- and now are soon to be Billioners!
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by JaneL » Fri May 11, 2012 9:00 pm

thePCxp wrote:I'm guessing that a lot of the people who are saying that are old - they're afraid of change (I'm much younger by the way, I'm almost 22).
Try to maintain some decorum and perspective if you wish to continue posting here.

Some of us have been using ThinkPads for nearly as long as you've been alive, and we are far from being afraid of change. We simply dislike the direction Lenovo is taking a product that we've used and enjoyed for years, and we are as entitled to our opinion as you seem to think you are to yours.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

Ibthink

#9 Post by Ibthink » Sat May 12, 2012 5:41 am

The keyboard on the X1 is better than the ones I tried from all the other brands.
Absolutly right. The X1 keyboard is simply superior. I´ve tried it and is better than my L520 and my Thai-NMB R50e keyboard.

This 6-row vs. 7-row is not important for me, I have already a 6-row layout in my L520 and I am just fine with it, it is a good keyboard and I don´t miss the 7th row, and I am saying that coming from a R60 with this 7th row.
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#10 Post by ajkula66 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:59 am

thePCxp wrote:
I'm sure the others will get over it eventually, as they adapt
Some users will certainly adapt.

Some of us will not.

ausmike wrote:
lol ,,, George - its called " recycling " - very very common and most yuppee-ish in CA!
How does one recycle an amebae? I mean, that's a stretch even in CA... :twisted:

wolfman wrote:
give me the 7 row, non-island design - or the option to pay a little extra for it if need be.
Agreed entirely, but both of us know that we'll never be given this option.

Cheers,

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#11 Post by BillMorrow » Sun May 13, 2012 2:25 am

thePCxp wrote:
I'm guessing that a lot of the people who are saying that are old - they're afraid of change (I'm much younger by the way, I'm almost 22).
and you too will be "old" before you realize what happened..

as for me i will reserve judgement (especially since i am a terrible hunt and peck typist) until i see one of these new keyboards but i would caution lenovo to think very carefully (as i'm sure they already have but from the wrong perspective i'll bet) before making such a change across the entire thinkpad line..

now, on to spending more and more and running up even more national debt so you 22 year old people will have something to remember us "old" folks by.. :twisted:
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

ausmike

#12 Post by ausmike » Sun May 13, 2012 11:46 am

I have had used the new (edge520) ELAN keyboard (Lenovo BD supplier for (US)Thinkpads now)
they not so bad - as forced to what is there ! (I still dont see have a DUAL NUMERIC KEYPAD) next to the 'main keyboard' (my edge 520 has that) My initial thought - was someone tryin to FILL IN THE HUGE SPACE ( due to 16:( screen formating) ) on the palmrest?

my suspect is that regardless of what MOST ALL Thinkpas users say - and B* about ....Lenovo ; like ASUS is forced to use the 'newer layout' mostly because of 'SIZE' - which is inturn forced by most consumers now going to 16:9 /16:10 format.

since we now not doing any 'testing' for lenovo (company felt waisted time) ..... I personally havent seen those "new new" keyboards - but Elan is same mfger that APPLE (mac pro) and HP (elite series) also use......

Plus am in "OLDer" catagory - way too old fart* to worry about keyboard gripes ! > GIVE ME SPEED BABY !

happy mothers day !
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#13 Post by ajkula66 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 pm

And back to HP...27,000 jobs to be eliminated by 2014...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-h ... 5761.story

Nice work, Whitman & Co.... :evil:

Cheers,

JeffCullen
Sophomore Member

#14 Post by JeffCullen » Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 am

thePCxp wrote:I'm guessing that a lot of the people who are saying that are old - they're afraid of change (I'm much younger by the way, I'm almost 22).
I'm 28 and I detest island-style keyboards. In fairness, I haven't tried one of Lenovo's... but from a tactile standpoint, and I think this is especially pertinent to those of us who type at 120WPM+, no island-style keyboard I've used works for me. I actually think the T60/T61 era were the Last Great Thinkpad Keyboards... the newer ones are still better than everyone else's, but don't feel quiiiiiiiite as nice.
BillMorrow wrote:now, on to spending more and more and running up even more national debt so you 22 year old people will have something to remember us "old" folks by.. :twisted:
Cheers... ;P
X201s, X301, W500, 2x 15.4" T61p, T601p Frankenpad with HV150UX2-100 UXGA LED-backlit display and safe 2010 44c3926 system board

wolfman

#15 Post by wolfman » Tue May 29, 2012 9:32 am

ajkula66 wrote:And back to HP...27,000 jobs to be eliminated by 2014...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-h ... 5761.story

Nice work, Whitman & Co.... :evil:
4th CEO in less than a year speaks volumes about the difficulties the company is having, sad to say. Trying to shift to the IBM model a decade after IBM did it... it's going to be a difficult road for them for a while.
Thinkpad L14 gen 2 | AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 5850u | 64gb RAM | 1tb SK Hynix P31 Gold | Intel AX210
Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950x | 64gb RAM | 512gb Samsung 970 Pro + 1tb Crucial SSD | Ubuntu 20.04 LTS | Dell S2721DGF
Previous Thinkpads: A21m, R40, X61, T410, T420, W520