Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Bring back the x100e & x120e style!

X100e/X120e/X130e/X140e Series
Humanoid

Bring back the x100e & x120e style!

#1 Post by Humanoid » Sun May 27, 2012 11:30 am

Every new x1**e model coming out has that new style... the screen doesn't open 180 degrees, the insert key is missing, and it's deeper in order to prevent the battery from sticking out the back I also don't throw my laptop against walls, so I don't need bumpers.

I like the older x100e & x120e styles. The screen opens 180 degrees, they keyboard has the insert key, and the full size battery sticks out the back.

When it's on my lap, if the screen can't open almost 180 degrees, I'd have to crouch my head uncomfortably to see the screen clearly. I really have no idea how other people manage to use other laptops on their laps with screens that only open 120 degrees! The insert key is important for copying and pasting in text editors. And with the battery sticking out the back, the screen is closer to the keyboard and my face, plus I can make the laptop smaller by using the smaller battery.

It's clear that Lenovo stopped the battery from sticking out the back because so many reviewers complained about it, but they never had a good reason to complain about it. Even when the screen is open only 120 degrees it sticks out further back than the battery does, so the battery isn't taking up any precious space. Now with the new style and battery not sticking out, the screen is even further back than it was on the x120e, so it takes up even more space on an airplane seat tray.

The main thing missing on my x120e is usb 3.0, so I was expecting a new x120e-like model to eventually have a usb 3.0 port. But every new model, x121e, x130e, x131e, all have that new style which I don't like, including the x131e which finally has usb 3.0.

I hope Lenovo brings back the x100e & x120e style for a new model with usb 3.0, and a more recent amd fusion cpu like the E-450, or the upcoming E2-1800.

CheddarTrek

Re: Bring back the x100e & x120e style!

#2 Post by CheddarTrek » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:10 pm

I was hoping we'd see an A6/A8/A10 in these instead of the E2, but eh. Anyone have benchmark comparisons?

Also I liked the earlier styles too. This one isn't awful, but unless the price is literally half that of the x230 I'll probably get the x230 instead.