Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T20 bad picture on the TFT (external VGA is fine)

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
Otto

T20 bad picture on the TFT (external VGA is fine)

#1 Post by Otto » Thu May 31, 2012 12:23 am

Dear forum readers,

I've been a thinkpad user for ages, but registered a few days ago because my old T20's display has started acting up recently. Yes, I know it's an old laptop, but I need it at my garage for various serial port applications. I've tried various USB-RS232-adapters and even a PCMCIA-card, but none has worked as well as the native port on the T20.

The problem is that the colors on the internal display got slightly distorted and the image is panned to show only two thirds of the top left corner (kind of hard to explain...) The panel itself seems to work fine, but maybe 200-400 pixels are left outside the edges on the bottom and right. It is like this when I turn it on (IBM logo shown in bottom right corner, although it should be centered), so I hardly think it's about Windows drivers.

This happens only on the internal display. If I plug in an external VGA-display everything is fine. Therefore I assume that the graphics card itself is OK. Could this be caused by a fractured flex-cable? I'd go ahead and try a new one from eBay, but they seem to be quite expensive considering the value of a T20 these days.

Maybe someone here has seen and probably fixed a similar issue before?

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

Re: T20 bad picture on the TFT (external VGA is fine)

#2 Post by rkawakami » Thu May 31, 2012 1:02 am

Welcome to thinkpads.com!

If you are looking for an easy, no-cost fix, try removing the keyboard and re-seating the LCD cable. It's possible that a bad/loose/dirty connection is causing the problem. If the ribbon cable-to-motherboard connection is solid and you are bold enough to try removing the LCD panel from the lid, you could re-seat the cable where it plugs into the back side of the display. Now's the time to do a complete inspection of the cable to see if there's any visible tears.

If either of those things don't fix the problem, then you're looking at throwing some $$$ (€€€) at the T20. The ribbon (aka, flex) cable may be the source of the problem. It's about the cheapest thing you can replace. It's also possible that the panel itself is bad or the issue exists on the motherboard and there's nothing you can do short of replacing one or the other.

Here's a link to the Hardware Maintenance Manual for the T2x systems: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc ... 2p9631.pdf
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

Otto

Re: T20 bad picture on the TFT (external VGA is fine)

#3 Post by Otto » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 am

Hello again,

I finally had the time to bring the laptop home and take it apart. Actually I just had to remove the keyboard to access the ribbon cable connection on the motherboard. I reseated the connector and used a bit of contact cleaner with a topsy and cleaned it with some compressed air. That seemed to fix the problem. Don't know if it was actually badly seated or just dirty... Most important is that it works again. Hopefully for many many years more.

Thank you Ray for your advise.