Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T42: 8 Years and Going Strong (But Not for Long?)

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
minmax

T42: 8 Years and Going Strong (But Not for Long?)

#1 Post by minmax » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi All,

Situation: I have an 8 year old T42 (Windows XP SP2, 1.7 Ghz Intel Pentium M, 1.5 GB of RAM) which has served me well from graduate school to the present day. Should I get a new PC (Thinkpad X201)?
Usage Frequency: very infrequent (not since 2009).

Planned Use: I need to take the bar exam in 2 months. I am worried about my T42's reliability. I have had the motherboard and inverter replaced in the last 4 years so it is doing ok from a hardware perspective. The problem is the bootup time is very slow (~3-5 minutes from switch on to usage) and it sometimes cannot activate the wireless. Performance has been ok but multitasking is not really an option (random hangs sometimes result).

Should I try to:
  • reinstall Windows XP to help increase speed and stability?
    Try to increase RAM?
    Get a new laptop with Windows 7?
I love my T42 and will keep it no matter what (love my screen and keyboard), but need to think about the possibility of an upgraded machine.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

wolfman

Re: T42: 8 Years and Going Strong (But Not for Long?)

#2 Post by wolfman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Sounds like your laptop, which is a tool, is not meeting your needs or, at a minimum, is getting a little frustrating to use. I'd get a new machine, there are some great deals on the Lenovo outlet right now (new and refurbished machines). The cost of a new machine is likely not to be too great and you'll get a reliable, fast booting and likely flawless wireless experience from the new machine.

Nothing wrong with keeping your existing machine as a second machine since you really like it. Maybe even tinkering with some of the suggestions (like OS reinstall, etc).

But I'd get a new machine. That's my 2 cents anyway. Good luck with your decision.
Thinkpad L14 gen 2 | AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 5850u | 64gb RAM | 1tb SK Hynix P31 Gold | Intel AX210
Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950x | 64gb RAM | 512gb Samsung 970 Pro + 1tb Crucial SSD | Ubuntu 20.04 LTS | Dell S2721DGF
Previous Thinkpads: A21m, R40, X61, T410, T420, W520